Author Topic: Chapter One: Thicker Than...?  (Read 9396 times)

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Chapter One: Thicker Than...?
« on: December 22, 2008, 12:11:44 PM »
Wind rushes through the doors, and the candles in the tavern flicker as a traveler enters the front room. As he gazes about, scanning for a seat, he sees characters of varying scrupulosity. Some of the bar patrons are sunk into their stools, lurching towards their drinks in simultaneous joy and agony, and some sit upright, their movements precise and dignified, as if with each hand gesture they say "Well, I never," as they slowly drink themselves down to the level of civilization that some of their compatriots enjoy. For tonight is the eve of the Festival of the Sun, and merriment is spreading like wildfire through the normally sedate night air of the city of Stonedeep. Tomorrow, these bar patrons will wake up at the crack of noon, just in time to stumble into the church and give thanks for the Sunstone that lights their city. The bell tolls midnight, and the bartender shouts out for last call. Those with homes to go to go to them, and those with rooms in the tavern loosen their boots and begin to trudge up the stairs. A few bar patrons stay for their last round of drinks, and the bartender begins to roll down the doors protecting the goods in the tavern. The candles in the front are extinguished, and the air in the tavern finally settles, the wild antics replaced by serene calm.

[spoiler]Give a post introducing yourself, you can either sleep now or have a last drink or some third thing.[/spoiler]

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: Chapter One: Thicker Than...?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 02:13:38 PM »
Sitting in a corner is a tall, gaunt man, a large scythe on his back. He looks at the traveler and grins, revealing a mouth of black teeth and a black tongue. He pulls his hood over his head and resumes staring at a rather beautiful barmaid. He calls her over, orders a final drink, and tries to seduce her. He ends up with a slap and a sad look on his face. He takes out an old leather book and resumes his reading. "Rejection. Tis the life of a binder." He thinks to himself.
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat
Warning: You may have already been set on fire

Bread does not need a reason

kashin

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 03:50:57 PM »
A very tall man sits at the bar, leaning on a massive red/brown spear and feeding table scraps to a gray and white dog at his feet. At the closing call he swigs back the remainder of his deep red beverage and stands with almost military precision, lacking any sign of inebriation. As he walks towards the rooms he notices a disreputable man, with a disturbing resemblance to the grim reaper, call over one of the bar maids. Watching their exchange he tightens his grip on his spear and almost imperceptible wisps of dark energy drip form his hands(chill touch), until a loud *smack* signals the termination of their conversation. After watching the two for a few more minuets he slumps down on the stairs to the rooms, wraps his jacket around himself and appears to nod off, his dog flowing him shortly their after.

only for people who look at him closely
[spoiler]he is drinking cranberry juice[/spoiler]

for people with experience in battle
[spoiler]the spear is the same hue and shad as dried blood[/spoiler]

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 04:31:42 PM »
Noticing the man watching him, Reaper flashes a black grin.
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 07:21:28 PM »
Arthur sits at a lone table by himself practicing some of his simpler magic tricks and jotting down some text in his journal. While sipping on his red wine and taking in the environment of the establishment he notices a man dressed in a manner similar to a grim reaper.

Real scary mister death and doom, ooh... Where do these characters come from? Why can't they just be themselves, take pride in who they are? Pathetic. And they say I'm a character, Arthur thinks to himself while looking at mister death and doom and then continues to sip on his beverage.   

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 07:33:44 PM »
Dorial

A young man sits by a side table, leaning back against the wall with his feet kicked up and a longbow sitting on the table next to him.  He's drained a few mugs of beer by now and is clearly enjoying the glow of it.  He seems to be daydreaming, hands behind his head, staring through the ceiling and chuckling to himself softly once in a while.  His clothing is all dark, with heavy black silk over his torso and upper leggs and lighter black silk along his arms and lower legs.  Most of it seems to be of good quality and tailoring.  The one exception is the long ratty cloak that's currently shrugged behind his shoulders.  He doesn't particularly seem to be interested in anyone else in the bar, but at the same time his casual smile looks approachable.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 07:25:52 PM by JaronK »

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 09:54:49 PM »
Noticing the other man watching him, Reaper flashes a black grin. "Aren't I the popular one." He says to himself, finishing his drink.
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 10:40:37 AM »
The bartender looks toward the gathering at the back, and perks up a bit. "I'm sure I've not seen some of you fellows 'round here before. Would you be travelers, then? If you are, you are in luck. Our annual festival is tomorrow, and we've got a wonderful ceremony planned for all to enjoy. If'n you've got the time, it'd be lovely if you dropped by the church about noon tomorrow."

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 01:12:40 PM »
"I'll get back to you on that." Reaper says. "What kind of festive activities go on at the festival?"
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 02:49:14 PM »
"Well, there's of course going to be music, contests, games, and a dance at the end. I always have loads of fun every year."

Several of the barmaids leave.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 04:46:04 PM »
"I'm not one for churches much these days but a dance you do say? How magnificent... Pray tell barkeep, what kind of prizes are given out at such contests. I dare test my wits against the mass of common folk," Arthur barks out, "Like a fox in a chicken coop I'd say.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 05:12:45 PM »
"I think they're offering a treatment this year, sir. 'Come in and we'll make you feel refreshed' and such. I never wanted much of that sort of thing, but I hear that a massage can be quite invigorating, if you catch what I mean." The bartender chuckles a bit, and puts down his wiping cloth. "I think I'd best be turning in, gentlemen. You all know where your rooms are. I've got a big day ahead of me tomorrow, what with the festivities and such. Probably should'a closed up early tonight." He goes around and begins extinguishing candles. "I'll have to ask you to retire for the night now, please."

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 06:10:38 PM »
"Retire? No sir, I'm afraid I am far too busy. Now," Reaper stands and walks to the bartender. "I am looking for a cleric of the sun, Ashley Grimm. You will tell me where she is."
Intimidate: 1d20 11=28
[spoiler]Ashley is Reaper's sister, just a little side plot I have for him being here.[/spoiler]

I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 07:30:43 PM »
Dorial

Watching the exchange, Dorial's hand slides into his pocket at Reaper's words, then thinks better of getting involved.  "Right, bedtime it is.  Thanks for the drinks, sir."  He pulls himself up, slings his bow over his shoulders, and heads up towards his room.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 08:34:24 PM »
Arthur gets up and watches the exchange. He begins to walk slowly and stops to tie his shoes, all in an attempt to see where this conversation may lead to and if he can take advantage of it.

"Damn shoe lace came undone again..."

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 08:41:25 PM »
"I suppose she's at the church, sir. B-but it's far too late now, I think you'd have better luck come morning." He looks about, stuttering a little. "Now, please, I can't have you all down here after hours, it's bad for business."

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 08:50:46 PM »
Good enough. Reaper sneers, stepping on Droma as he goes up to his room.
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 10:01:08 PM »
Dorial

Once in his room, Dorial looks at the bed dubiously before opting to pull out his own bedroll and hide it behind the bed, sleeping there.  Never can be too careful... and your bed can never be too magical!

[spoiler]Taking 20 to hide the magic bedroll in the room, for a 31.  And yes, his only magic item is a magic bedroll.[/spoiler]

kashin

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 10:27:32 PM »
after being stepped on Droma's spear starts to spark and crackle, creating a good sized scorch on the ground.
You test my patience, it would be wise not to test it further.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 10:31:33 PM »
"Oooh! I smell a fire about to burst forth," Arthur comments to himself and then looking back up at the barkeep, "Here let me help you close up shop Mister. Now can you tell me more of these contests?"