Author Topic: Gameology-Fu  (Read 69512 times)

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
Re: Gameology-Fu
« Reply #420 on: November 06, 2008, 02:13:12 PM »
STOP FUCKING COMPLAINING ABOUT YOUR FU.  IT IS A DIRECT REFLECTION OF WHAT YOU CONTRIBUTE TO THE COMMUNITY.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
  • The Emperor is watching, the Emperor knows.
    • Email
« Reply #421 on: November 06, 2008, 02:16:48 PM »
No, it is a direct reflection of a mixture of contributions and bashing. And the latter is playing more of a role.
Faith can move mountains. It still can't deflect bullets.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #422 on: November 06, 2008, 02:22:36 PM »
MORE FUCKING COMPLAINING.  You want some cheese with that whine?

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #423 on: November 06, 2008, 02:32:09 PM »
I'd like my fu to be an accurate reflection of my contributions, not an accurate reflection of how many people bash me.

I won't argue that I've done nothing but the greatest things ever. I won't accept "bizzare black and white world view" or "complaining" to be legitimate measures of contributions, either.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #424 on: November 06, 2008, 02:33:49 PM »
But, if not the ones adjusting your G-FU, evaluate your contributions?

Handy Links

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #425 on: November 06, 2008, 02:38:59 PM »
Clarify?

I can give a couple examples of things I did that if someone else did I'd strongly consider giving positive fu for (and I'm not sure whether or not anyone did) and a couple examples of things of I'd give someone doing what I did negative fu for.

Digging out the latter may take longer (since I can think of a couple within-the-recent-past for the former, but I'd have to reread some of my old posts that to weigh them for the latter.), but I can produce it.

The question is, would it be worth the effort, or would it only get more "ellennsar is fail" posts in response?

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #426 on: November 06, 2008, 02:41:03 PM »
I'm so glad PI is here.

:)

So many people have said what I said, about the whining.
I actually though I explained it pretty well, I rant, you whine.
I stop ranting "Wow, my fu went up!"
If you stop whining you'll be like "Wow! My fu went up!"
You've put a lot of energy into this thread imagine if you'd used that same post count
for something generally considered by your peers as constructive?
You're just being stubborn at a certain point.  :lol I'm glad though, cause now everyone
has had a chance to see you in the light I saw you from throughout our encounter in the
rebalancing thread.
An obstinate, whiner, whose ideas aren't backed by informative query but useless hyperbole.
All this time and I didn't have to bash you at all to get the desired effect, I just had to get
out of your way long enough for you to run your mouth to everyone.  :P
Midnight_v is pleased by your continued suffering....
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #427 on: November 06, 2008, 02:43:09 PM »
I'm glad that being stubborn in defending yourself is automatically a bad thing for the same reason that accusation equals guilt in witch trials.

Midnight_v is demonstrating douchebaggery. Congradulations to Midnight for putting being an asshole ahead of being helpful (with criticism or encouragement or both).

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #428 on: November 06, 2008, 02:44:42 PM »
Elenssar: I meant that you are not the one who evaluates your contributions. Gameology-fu shows what others think about your contributions, so defending your own creations isn't really a valid point. However, I agree that smiting you for fun is not valid either.

Handy Links

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #429 on: November 06, 2008, 02:49:27 PM »
No, but saying "Ew, person disagrees, obviously they suck!" is smiting for fun whether phrased like that or not.

One thing that would be nice code wise (I've no idea how to include it, but I'm throwing it out to see if anyone has any thoughts)...

Have a star next to a post (with some other symbol for negative fu) to say "this post has already recieved fu".

That way, someone doesn't rack up enormous amounts of fu for a single post...at least, not unless people intend to do so.

Don't think that's happened in a negative sense to me and I'm not sure it happens in a positive sense.

Its more "If we could do this, would anyone think it is a good idea to do it?" than "we need to fix this".

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #430 on: November 06, 2008, 02:53:24 PM »
I have seen a mod for the karma program (gameology-fu) that would limit the number of times a certain post could be given positive or negative ratings.

Not sure if Meg would like to include that or not. But it does exist. :shrug
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #431 on: November 06, 2008, 02:54:57 PM »
No, but saying "Ew, person disagrees, obviously they suck!" is smiting for fun whether phrased like that or not.
Do you have any evidence to indicate that you have received negative fu for reasons like that? Or, if you have, what makes you think that the majority of the adjustments were given in that manner? It might be that a bulk of the negative fus have come from actual gameology posts, because several people didn't like them.

I wouldn't know, I've only adjusted your fu once and even that was positive...

AC: That mod sounds really bad. People would just jump to the next post to adjust the fu.

Handy Links

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #432 on: November 06, 2008, 03:00:41 PM »
It might be an improvement, but I don't know if it comes up as a problem, so I can't recommend it. And yeah, if you can't give one post any more (negative or positive) fu, you just give a different post that.

Tshern: I do have evidence to suggest I've recieved negative fu at least once for basically that reason. (I quote: "bizzare black and white world view".)

I'm also reasonably sure but not positive that something similar was behind some de-fuing claimed to be gameology related, and a few other things.

I'm reasonably sure some of my fu is a reflection of contributions or lack thereof, but I don't think my score, as in the overall result, is.

That is what most bothers me about the current system (as distinct from a "from 1-100, with 1 being the worst and 100 being the best" or the like). It skews results somewhat, even assuming any given award/smite is not skewed.

But that's a problem that requires a seperate code, and I don't know what would be a good one, and I certainly don't know how to translate existing scores over (since "everyone starts at 50" would bother some people and I can't blame them.)

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #433 on: November 06, 2008, 03:08:35 PM »
The system isn't perfect, no doubt about that, but what's the actual problem? As far as I know, Meg can shut down the fu of any individual user, so perhaps you should ask her to do that for your account. I have nothing against the fu, but I don't think anyone should feel bad about it, so closing it for anyone who doesn't want to have it sounds reasonable.

Handy Links

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #434 on: November 06, 2008, 03:08:53 PM »
I have seen a mod for the karma program (gameology-fu) that would limit the number of times a certain post could be given positive or negative ratings.

Not sure if Meg would like to include that or not. But it does exist. :shrug
I know they limit how often any person can change karma in a 48 hour period.  :flame

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #435 on: November 06, 2008, 03:10:13 PM »
I personally don't like that mod, but El brought it up, so I was just letting people know it exists.

Also, 24 hours, PI ;) You can't change someone's karma for 24 hours after your last change to their karma.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #436 on: November 06, 2008, 03:15:15 PM »
I personally don't like that mod, but El brought it up, so I was just letting people know it exists.

Also, 24 hours, PI ;) You can't change someone's karma for 24 hours after your last change to their karma.
I changed my timer...  :flame :wall

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #437 on: November 06, 2008, 03:15:57 PM »
Elennsar, I want to ask you to look at how many posts you have made in this thread and the Meta Board that can be classified as "complaints". Then look at how many such posts others have made. Negating someone else's complaints does not count.

Now look at how many times Meg has ever taken sides or got angry at someone.

Ask if these posts are really contributing to the community.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #438 on: November 06, 2008, 03:17:21 PM »
The hilarious thing is many of his claims are blatantly false. Such as claiming every post he makes gets a negative vote. Except he has well over a thousand posts, and less than 50 negative votes total (about a third of which are countered by positive votes).

Especially when you consider he has multiple anti fans, and therefore multiple voters.

In other news, PI wins the thread.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #439 on: November 06, 2008, 03:20:23 PM »
I don't claim every post I make get a negative vote. Don't claim that I do.

Prime: Ask whether or not the complaints are valid and legitimate before saying "hey it is a complaint! BEGONE COMPLAINTS! ALL COMPLAINTS ARE INVALID!"

Tshern: The problem is twofold. 1) getting negative fu for invalid reasons (having a black and white world view is not cause for fu). 2) A negative total that is not a good reflection of overall contributions (good, bad, and just there).