Author Topic: Gameology-Fu  (Read 69520 times)

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Gameology-Fu
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 05:42:33 PM »
Whoohoo, popularity contests.  I bet you all that within two weeks somebody gets upset about not having a good score and leaves the forums in a huff.  (I'd also bet that he comes back within a week)

lol. So true.

Aaah so the option's not visible yet.
This to prevent people registering accounts to boost their own fu of course. :)

Wow, that is so... pitiful, that I hadn't even guessed why they were hidden. I'm starting to feel naive.
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

ImperiousLeader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 12:41:29 PM »
This reminds me of back when I posted at the TrekBBS, and there were massive fights over post count for your rank.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 08:43:03 PM »
Whoohoo, popularity contests.  I bet you all that within two weeks somebody gets upset about not having a good score and leaves the forums in a huff.  (I'd also bet that he comes back within a week)

Well, Squash Monster was right. Ta da! I'm the first! -_-' But I'll stay here because I like this board too much, plus I just joined pfooti's game, so that'd be uncool to leave.

Just curious, is there any way to tell who weakened me, or what caused the minus? I'm not really angry or anything, I just have know idea why I got one. Perhaps I'm just a newbie, but is there any way to view my fault, as to correct it later so I don't make an asshat out of myself repeating it?

I don't, maybe I'm just cranky. I need a nap.

Edit: Nevermind, I decided to just take it like I man and move on. I now realize knowing what I did doesn't matter. Naps help me think.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 10:40:44 PM by Smudgyhandsman »

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 04:27:55 PM »
Yeah, that's actually something that's on my mind. I've gotten two negatives in the last 12 hours or so. I'm old enough that I don't particularly care one way or the other if someone's being a meanie-head, but I do care that I did something wrong. If I trod upon feet, I'd prefer to get a quiet PM over it than an impersonal poke, but whatever, it's not the end of the world.

Shigunaru

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • I am your "friend"
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 07:47:41 PM »
Yeah, that's actually something that's on my mind. I've gotten two negatives in the last 12 hours or so. I'm old enough that I don't particularly care one way or the other if someone's being a meanie-head, but I do care that I did something wrong. If I trod upon feet, I'd prefer to get a quiet PM over it than an impersonal poke, but whatever, it's not the end of the world.

Probably just someone trying the feature, asking himself "what the heck is this thing???".

I know I did that to Tshern (and quickly corrected my error) when i first saw the Gameology-fu thing.

Outing helps at least as much as a good nap :)

Posting guidelines. Read 'em. Use 'em. Love 'em.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 07:55:15 PM »
I suppose many people have tested it with my account. That's the only way of explaining my outrageous status...

Handy Links

Shigunaru

• I am your "friend"
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 08:06:44 PM »
I suppose many people have tested it with my account. That's the only way of explaining my outrageous status...

You understimate yourself. It is not an optimized action, actually. :wink

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 08:09:31 PM »

You understimate yourself. It is not an optimized action, actually. :wink
I consider myself a random ranter. I go to a thread, tell what I think of it just to get three guys telling my why my ideas don't work. How is description not appropriate?

Handy Links

Shigunaru

• I am your "friend"
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 08:15:57 PM »
Throwing ideas out to be discussed is what make optimization work. :)

If you don't share your ideas, you can't see if you were wrong or right.

If everyone allways had good ideas, why should we need of an optimization board?

Anyway, let's stay on topic. +1 GF to Tshern, 'cause he is awesome :lol

(edit: damn, my english is far from good at this time of the night... Hope it's at least readable...)

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 08:25:39 PM »
To quote LogicNinja:

Handy Links

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
I could have sworn I had 2 G-fu earlier today, yet it has gone down to zero. :confused

I think some people just like to reduce high Gfu scores or boost low ones. Then there are people who do the opposite, which is the only explanation I can think of for Tshern's rapidly growing 'fu. (Not that I have any kind of problem with Tshern, it's just that there are plenty of intelligent people with 0)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 03:29:27 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2008, 03:55:08 PM »
Yeah, I've already been told by at least one other person on the boards that they just do it for fun, or as a method of punishment for people they don't like, or disagree with. It's certainly doesn't appear to be working as intended.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2008, 04:01:42 PM »
So any ideas as to how, or if, it should be changed?  I could increase the wait time-- set the post limit higher...  thoughts?
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2008, 04:56:04 PM »
This reminds me of back when I posted at the TrekBBS, and there were massive fights over post count for your rank.

Needs more

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2008, 05:02:46 PM »
...Someone has taken off 2 in the past few hours. My guess is someone disagrees with me and is trying to start a rep war over it. Funny how the most likely cause is a thread in which I declared war on someone on the WotC forums... :notamused

The second most likely cause is someone disagreeing with me because I disparaged those with exceptionally thin skins. (Now where's that rolling eyes smiley?)

I would recommend changing it to being alignment based or something so that best and worst at least becomes subjective. For example, I would regard Chaotic Good votes being given to me as a high insult, whereas a Lawful Evil vote would be high praise.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2008, 05:22:30 PM »
Perhaps you shouldn't post as much - then the # of opportunities for you to say something stupid decreases.

Simple math, my friend.

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2008, 05:37:56 PM »
Well, the way they handle this kind of thing over on DnDOG is to have an open list of kudoers. So when you kudo someone, you say why, and people can see who changed their kudo status. So you can see that PI is sitting there leaning on the -1 button or whatever, and if it's important to you, you can PM them and ask why.

Personally, I'm not really interested in it any way you slice it. I tend to judge people based on their ability to spell and construct a coherent sentence, rather than postcount or game-fu. I'm sure I have an internal game-fu for people, everyone does, but it's usually pretty toned-down.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2008, 06:00:40 PM »
I would recommend changing it to being alignment based or something so that best and worst at least becomes subjective. For example, I would regard Chaotic Good votes being given to me as a high insult, whereas a Lawful Evil vote would be high praise.
Interesting idea, but it doesn't quite do the same thing, and people would look at it different ways ("Great villain backstory, have an LE!" or "Have an LE, you jerk" or "Your personality seems LE"). Besides, I doubt there are any mods like that already out there, and the BGs can't write their own.

I would prefer if you could only give/take fu once, but could change it at any time.
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2008, 06:15:26 PM »
Oh, and is there any way to disable G-fu giving/taking for specific users? I'm just thinking of the abuse that could come from this
My work

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2008, 06:19:43 PM »
Another idea, and one I'd certainly take advantage of, is having GameFu as an option on a character account that can be turned off. I'm sure there are other people who would want to opt out of the system if given the choice.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die