Author Topic: Gameology-Fu  (Read 69513 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Gameology-Fu
« Reply #160 on: August 05, 2008, 11:41:26 PM »
I guess I don't see it as too important either way.  I think the biggest abuses of it could come from it being anonymous.  It's just like Penny Arcade's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.

On a similar note, I like to play online poker at a particular site.  The only thing that bothers me about it is the voting system.  Players can anonymously vote others for being abusive, which often becomes a big headache.  Sometimes it's used for getting slow or rude people off of tables.  Other times it's used to vote someone simply because they beat you in a hand, or just to spam the chat window with vote messages.  So it's similar to the G-Fu.  It's fun when used properly.  It's a annoying as hell when it's not.

Now, I'm off to play poker!  :smirk
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Dragon Snack Games and Entertainment
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: August 06, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
Hey everyone, give me negative fu if you don't have anything else to do with your vote for the day!  I want the lowest possible number I can get without resorting to being an asshat.
Someone here got -30, so good luck on that one
-30? Wow!  What's they do?  Make a thread extolling the virtues of the commoner and the CW samurai?  Perhaps an anti-psionics and ToB thread?  -30 is impressive
IIRC, it was a gay bashing thread that gained him most, if not all, of it...

Wait.  Arioch doesn't want to be an asshat?  Who are you and what have you done with the Count? :)
Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #162 on: August 07, 2008, 03:13:46 AM »
Hey everyone, give me negative fu if you don't have anything else to do with your vote for the day!  I want the lowest possible number I can get without resorting to being an asshat.
Someone here got -30, so good luck on that one
-30? Wow!  What's they do?  Make a thread extolling the virtues of the commoner and the CW samurai?  Perhaps an anti-psionics and ToB thread?  -30 is impressive
IIRC, it was a gay bashing thread that gained him most, if not all, of it...

Wait.  Arioch doesn't want to be an asshat?  Who are you and what have you done with the Count? :)

I tell you what, if you want to judge me, walk a mile in my shoes.

Ergo, cozy up to my ex, marry her for 6 years, and try to put up with her constant horseshit day in and day out.

If that doesn't want to make you yell at people for minor slights, then I will put one object of your choice in my mouth. :P

In all seriousness, I have fewer reasons to bitch now that I don't have to deal with that noise all the time.  I'm a broke motherfucker right now, but other than that things are going pretty good for me.
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Hazren

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #163 on: August 07, 2008, 11:54:51 AM »
I tell you what, if you want to judge me, walk a mile in my shoes.

Ergo, cozy up to my ex, marry her for 6 years, and try to put up with her constant horseshit day in and day out.

If that doesn't want to make you yell at people for minor slights, then I will put one object of your choice in my mouth. :P

In all seriousness, I have fewer reasons to bitch now that I don't have to deal with that noise all the time.  I'm a broke motherfucker right now, but other than that things are going pretty good for me.

Another member of "Im broke, she got half my shit, but at least I'm rid of her nagging ass" club for men. :D

I had no idea Bev cloned herself to visit that kind of mental abuse on others of the male population.

Of course I'm a grade two member, done it twice now. The second one was dumber than stump water. Pretty and all but the lights weren't even on in this model and no one had ever lived there much less was home. Some dumb bastards never learn. :wall ;)
"My solution way too often is to press the red button and see the world burn, which brings us back to the fiery pits of Hell..."
Tshern

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #164 on: August 07, 2008, 05:51:11 PM »
All I can say to that is:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

:D

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Dragon Snack Games and Entertainment
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2008, 09:59:39 PM »
I'm not judging you Arioch.  It was part of what made you, *you*.

Glad you're in a better place though...
Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2008, 03:18:44 PM »
Sounds like yet another case against marriage.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

clarkcd

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Da Man
« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2008, 03:58:48 PM »
Marriage, just like anything else, can be good or bad.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

Grade 'A' pain in the neck arrogance brought to you by Da Man.

Da Man Has Spoken

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2008, 04:02:28 PM »
I've always been a fan of co-habitation.  Why is this in the g-fu thread?  Oh yah, Rule 25.  My bad.
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2008, 07:21:55 PM »
People shouldn't worry about it even if it was karma. The same thing. Nothing people think about you on an internet board should be too important and getting freaked out by the low amount of G-FU is overreacting.
QFT.

Anyway, more fuel for my war against karma systems. Proof it is flawed!

This is an example of someone with 21 game-fu.
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1317.msg36412#msg36412

This is an example of someone with -11 (all though I was bumped to -9 today and idk why)
<actually I don't know how to link you to my profile, click on my name>

Ya know, before I was largely indifferent to that whole affair with a slight bias towards OW4 as he had actual evidence backing his case. But it was recently brought to my attention he's been channeling my private correspondence to her real or imagined in order to back his case, despite my specifically instructing him to leave me the fuck out of it. Apparently he went and told her I said a bunch of stuff about her to try to get me in trouble, most likely because I wouldn't go and own Meg on his whim.

So guilty or not, fuck him. He's violated my terms, he is no longer worthy of my time. :fo
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: August 08, 2008, 09:03:08 PM »
Ok, I want to let the whole situation with OW4 go.  I want to move on and not drag the situation or him through anything else, so everyone, please just move on and let the matter go.

Discussions about GFu are of course still welcome here, but discussing a specific person's ranking should probably done elsewhere.  Or not at all.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Squirrelloid

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2008, 04:22:09 AM »
This is probably the right place for this...

So, I could care less about knowing who bumped my G-Fu.  What I'm curious about is which thread/post got my G-Fu bumped.  Would it be possible to track that and implement a feature where we could see that information?
The ignorant shall fall to the squirrels. -Chip 4:2

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2008, 09:59:06 AM »
I like that idea.  Karma's probably more useful when you know why you're getting it.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #173 on: August 19, 2008, 04:23:26 PM »
I agree with you both Zero & Squirrelloid. Knowing why your karma changed could be useful information. However, there is a small problem with the implementation of it (as I understand it). The forums are pre-written software that the BGs are using. They, themselves, are not programmers (so far as I know), and would not be able to edit the code to implement such a change. There are, however, plenty of modifications written by people with familiarity with code out there. In fact, Karma tracking was one of those modifications implemented. As such, we are currently stuck with the mod, as written. Which, you can guess, does not allow non-moderators to see who/where/why G-fu has been bumped.  :-\
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: October 21, 2008, 12:59:57 AM »
K, so I dropped from 13 to -2 in a pretty short time.  Just kind of wondering what the general reasons why were.

Quote from: Meg
Elitism exists.  Not everyone is created equal.  Some people have better ideas.  And if you aren't there yet, so what?  Grow, learn, and find the mentors who are respected so you don't start following the path of someone going in the wrong direction.  I can set Fu total scores, so if someone nets a ton of negative fu for something and they change their habits, I would totally be up for a clean slate.  There will be contests and such that will also result in big payouts of fu as well so this will be more than just a peer review system.  There are player-run games on the Playground that can net you fu from the questioner, so this is much more than just a popularity contest.

We have one main goal here- No Douchebaggery.  Complaining about a point here and there is pretty douchey.  If you suddenly loose 10 points, then ok, I get coming on and saying, "So what could I be doing better?".

The one thing I'll ask though is that people give and take points based on Gameology. This isn't just karma or "cookies"- these points are for Gameology.  So for example, there are awesome people who may come in here just to chat and hang out.  That's cool and I welcome them with open arms.  That however isn't really gameology so they shouldn't be Mr. or Ms. Popular.  A cool avatar isn't, in my eyes, reason to award Gameology points. And neither is saying "Waa!  My Fu is too low!"  Please don't reward that.

People who offer advice, talk about games
, talk about the show, help you out, get you into something, open your eyes to a new idea-- they are worthy of the Fu.

This is a bit blunt, but I think it needs to be said.  This is the interweb!  1 person clicking an anonymous link isn't anything to worry about.  10 may be.  Be confident, be proud of what you write and I can pretty much guarantee your Fu will be reflective of that.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2008, 08:04:57 PM »
Uber, it should be obvious... and no, I didn't lower your Fu even once.  Going around replying to perfectly good arguements with "troll troll you're a troll" is not exactly impressing anyone, and it brings down the level of the boards as a whole.

JaronK

Talen Lee

• Bi-Curious George
  • Forum Ninja
« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2008, 08:47:45 PM »
Honestly, I'm not sure you can troll this forum. This isn't a forum where everyone has to sit around being happybunny about everything. If you act like a fuckwit, we can tell you you're being a fuckwit - we don't need the same 'OHNOES, A TROLL, STOP IIIIIT.'

Ie, the mod policy is 'y so srs?'

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2008, 08:52:25 PM »
You don't need to sit around and be nice. However, if rampant stalking and constant put-downs become commonplace, all you will be left with would be a bunch of groupthink howlers who won't let anyone in on their l337 group on pain of hounding.

Is this what BG is aiming for?

Elennsar

• Grape ape
  • The Emperor is watching, the Emperor knows.
    • Email
« Reply #178 on: October 22, 2008, 09:05:17 PM »
If it isn't, then giving people negative fu needs to be very, very carefully monitored. A heated disagreement is to be encouraged, so long as it is civil. But expecting people to be "adults" in the sense of putting up with being attacked, but not as in not being dicks...

Inconsistent, much?

Personally, my view of the fu system is in my sig. It is too easy to use as a f-u rather than an actual measure of anything, speaking as someone who went from 3+ to where I am now for no good reason in regards to gameology.

In fact, I'm not sure what a good reason for negative fu in regards to gameology is anyway. Saying that D&D uses a percentile system?

So...I don't want to vote for it being dropped if there's an opportunity to fix it. But I do think it should be fixed. Either the actual fu system (the code) or the "we are watching and we will take action" policy being implemented, since without any way to tell why you got fu (negative or positive), unless someone says so, there's no way to tell whether or not you negative fu is a reflection of anything other than unpopularity amongst certain individuals or even just one individual jerk.

And that rather negates the point of it other than to piss on people.
Faith can move mountains. It still can't deflect bullets.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

Talen Lee

• Bi-Curious George
  • Forum Ninja
« Reply #179 on: October 22, 2008, 09:23:44 PM »
I thought the gameology-fu process was supposed to be a kind of peer review. If you're constantly talking crap, other people should be able to give you that rep for easy reference. But I dunno. I have gameology-fu, but I have no idea why.