Author Topic: Wil Wheaton reviews 4th ed.  (Read 4331 times)

Shoggoth

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Wil Wheaton reviews 4th ed.
« on: December 18, 2008, 10:56:39 AM »
Hey all, Wil Wheaton's Geek in Review column over at Suicide Girls went up today, and he uses the space to review 4th edition.  It doesn't really add much substantive to the discussion, but he's a great writer and the column is a good read.

http://suicidegirls.com/news/geek/23470/

Keep in mind that it's Suicide Girls, and while the link is SFW (they keep their news feeds clean) it could still flag your IT department.
Still came that eldritch, mocking cry - "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" and at last we remembered that the demoniac Shoggoths...had no voice save the imitated accents of their bygone masters.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Wil Wheaton reviews 4th ed.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
When I played Fourth Edition, it was like they'd taken everything I didn't like about D&D, everything that had made it overly complicated and cumbersome, and thrown it all away. All that was left was the best lessons taken from 3.0, and the philosophy that made basic D&D so much fun in the first place.

How does it play? I think the best way I can describe it is: simply, without being simplistic.

I want his 4E. Mine was totally different. It's simplistic without being simple.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 02:22:01 PM »
Well, some people would love a computer with one button...
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 02:30:07 PM »
I avoid Macs. :p

Shoggoth

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
When I played Fourth Edition, it was like they'd taken everything I didn't like about D&D, everything that had made it overly complicated and cumbersome, and thrown it all away. All that was left was the best lessons taken from 3.0, and the philosophy that made basic D&D so much fun in the first place.

How does it play? I think the best way I can describe it is: simply, without being simplistic.

I want his 4E. Mine was totally different. It's simplistic without being simple.

I certainly don't love it as much as he does.  But I can see his point.

I know for me, once I got past level 5 or so with 3.0 and 3.5, the minutia of character management was way more than I wanted to deal with.  I stopped playing Clerics and Wizards completely because of it.
Still came that eldritch, mocking cry - "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" and at last we remembered that the demoniac Shoggoths...had no voice save the imitated accents of their bygone masters.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 03:46:53 PM »
I can understand that, but on the hand, that's just the reason why I love D&D: your choices mean something.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 06:34:35 PM »
I avoid Macs. :p
Hey, my Mac has six buttons, and that's not even counting the one that turns it on!

Treantmonklvl20

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 01:42:18 AM »
Is the fact that Wesley Crusher likes 4e a good thing or a bad thing?
If at first you don't succeed - maybe failure is your style.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 08:35:15 AM »
Who's that?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 08:56:51 AM »
Who's that?
You have failed your Knowledge [nerd lore] check, and the DC was only 15.  You should be ashamed of yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_Crusher

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 12:11:53 PM »
Maybe he just wanted to forget that part of nerd lore?

I know a lot of people wouldn't blame him for it :P

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 02:46:33 PM »
Nah, even Wil Wheaton hates Wesley (and tried to stop the writers from going so far). No-one holds that role against him.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 03:03:51 PM »
I know, but not everyone else knows ;)

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 07:29:43 PM »
Maybe he just wanted to forget that part of nerd lore?

I know a lot of people wouldn't blame him for it :P

Well, yes, I DID want to forgot about that. I mean, it's Star Trek. Only nerds who get their lunchmoney stolen by other nerds watch Star Trek.  :P

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 05:57:35 PM »
He's a ~Traveller of some sort now.
And is able to Time Travel some how.
So he's back in the 21st century, trying to figure out how 4th Edition D&D impacts some future episode of Star Trek the Next Next generation.

Maybe the suicidegirls.com part is an attempt at Thrallherd Sacrifice, to make it into both 4e and future Star Trek.
Wil Wheaton conspiracy starts now/yesterday.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 06:02:26 PM »
Quote from: Wil Wheaton

"Maybe they've absorbed a lot of feedback from gamers who played 3.0 and 3.5, and they're cleaning things up accordingly," I thought. (Yes, there really was a third-and-a-half edition. That's a topic for another column, ideally written by someone else.)

Heh.
So, we're not the only one's.

EDIT - I'm very surprised this got by the Filter I'm on. Sweet.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 06:06:03 PM by awaken DM golem »

Talen Lee

• Bi-Curious George
  • Forum Ninja
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 11:16:34 PM »
If 4E gets more people playing and exploring this awesome thing that is gaming, great. I'll even play it.

I don't think 4E will ever so successfully inspire me to create the way 3.5 and 3 have.