Author Topic: "Commoner in the Underdark" challenge  (Read 5593 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: "Commoner in the Underdark" challenge
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 10:08:46 PM »
Bah!  Brain fart.  Somehow thought it was just a standard action after three rounds of study and thus could be done multiple times if you could use multiple standard actions in that last round.  No matter.  But at least you can standard action death attack and then full attack someone else, or something!

JaronK

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 08:04:30 PM »
Hmmm...

Commoner 1/SwashBuckler 3/Factotum 5/ Assassin X seems like a promising build.

I just have to wonder what's more important for my second level: Weapon Finesse or Trapfinding (Swashbuckler vs. Factotum) Beyond that, Factotum's third level ability Brains over Brain seems like a better buy than Swashbuckler's third level Insightful Strike, though both will probably be gotten eventually.

Any other considerations?
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 09:33:31 PM »
Yeah... the Factotum 8 ability is far superior to Insightful Strike, so to heck with Swashbuckler.  Besides, a Feycraft weapon (PHBII) will give you Weapon Finesse anyway.  Besides, the better casting is also handy.  Just get a few Fonts of Inspiration and go nuts.

JaronK

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 10:08:16 PM »
Yeah... the Factotum 8 ability is far superior to Insightful Strike, so to heck with Swashbuckler.  Besides, a Feycraft weapon (PHBII) will give you Weapon Finesse anyway.  Besides, the better casting is also handy.  Just get as many Fonts of Inspiration as you can and go nuts.

JaronK

Fixed.  :P

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 10:14:36 PM »
I dunno.  There are some other really good Factotum feats.  Darkstalker, EWP: Quickrazor, Craft Wonderous Items, Item Familiar...

JaronK

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 01:10:01 AM »
Hey, you can only take it a few times depending on your Int mod. Given that he started with a 13 Int, he'll have space for the other feats.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 08:01:35 AM »
I'll ask my DM if a Feycraft weapon is in the works for this challenge game. Considering we're going to be fighting Drow, hopefully.

Factotum get all simple and martial weapon proficiency, right? So I don't really need SwashBuckler for its weapon proficiencies.

Maybe straight Factotum is a better idea. My party is already going for the classic Mage, Healer, Fighter trifecta. No need for another combat-oriented person. (Considering the mage will be hitting more often and for more damage considering my strength and size)

Trap-Finding and other such abilities it is.

Can anyone explain the Darkstalker feat? Also, I understand that Exotic Weapon proficiency with a Quickrazor will allow you to use Quickdraw for free and that it works well with Iajutsu Focus. However, I'm not sure my DM would allow that much craziness.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 08:19:58 AM by Saxony »
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 09:03:26 AM »
Factotums do get simple and martial weapons.  Note that Factotums can absolutely be melee characters, and they don't need strength to do it.  Darkstalker is a feat that lets you make hide checks normally against abilities like scent, blindsense, etc, so that you're not just automatically detected by those abilities.  And the Quickrazor both draws and sheaths for free, which is why it's so good with Iajuitsu Focus (most weapons can't be sheathed for free like that). 

JaronK