Author Topic: Why Hennet Kan't Reed: Illiteracy and Spellcasting  (Read 1637 times)

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
Why Hennet Kan't Reed: Illiteracy and Spellcasting
« on: December 15, 2008, 04:03:22 PM »
How important is Literacy to Arcanists in the grand scheme of things?  I know, technically, the answer is 'it's worth 2 skill points."  I'm talking about a setting where Literacy isn't available, which happens to be one of the regions in a homebrew setting I've been working on for a while. 

PCs from that region are, as of this writing, limited to Barbarian, Totemist, Savage Bard (UA variant), Wilderness Rogue (UA variant), Wilder, and Druid.  Wilder fits the theme, and I added Ride and Handle Animal as available Class Skill choices as a more-than-even exchange.  Wilderness Rogue I simply added Illiteracy to the Class description; if this is a significant hardship to the character in some way, I'm interested to hear opinions on shoring it up.  Druid is included as thematically appropriate and strong enough that Illiteracy isn't a hindrance in any appreciable way when you can run around all day as a Fleshraker and cast spells besides.

That gives the setting a couple melee types, a couple skillmonkeys, Divine casting, and support casting, but no go-to Arcanists.  Warmage might make a reasonable fit, I suppose, but requires a substantial rewrite of the Warmage training methods.  Sorcerer is another reasonable fit, but would I need to boost them to offset their inability to use scrolls, and if so, by how much?

Thoughts?
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Re: Why Hennet Kan't Reed: Illiteracy and Spellcasting
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 05:42:49 PM »
Don't tweak the class. All you have to do is provide an alternative to scrolls, themed appropriately. After all, a scroll is basically the energy for one or more spells bound up in an object, usable once and only by someone with skill in magic or UMD. That's a pretty broad definition--you could have magical rocks that fit that category.

Besides, people learn Common all the time. It aren't that hard.