Author Topic: Triumph over the evil Dice-Gods =D  (Read 4352 times)

Celsius

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Triumph over the evil Dice-Gods =D
« on: December 15, 2008, 06:20:46 AM »
Hi, everyone. This would be my first build in this community, so please comment (constructively) on this build. For some reason, my luck with the dice rolls in D&D have never been very good. For this reason, I began to consider a build that would allow me to circumvent this problem. One thing led to another, and this is the result of such a build carried to the extreme. =D

WARNING! This build is entirely theoretical, it is not meant to be played in a normal game. It makes use of some very broken mechanics in the game.

Schrodinger's Cat
Human Nomad 5/Metamind10/XX5

Essential components of the build:

Temporal Reiteration + Font of Power >> Manifest powers at no PP cost
Psicrystal (or any other willing ally)
Forced Dream >> The core of this build, its a power from Magic of Eberron that allows the subject of this power to restart the round as a swift action

How it works: Simple.
1. Activate Font of Power, manifest Temporal Reiteration every round to maintain it.
2. Manifest Schism
3. Using the Schism action, manifest Forced Dream on Psicrystal

If ever you get an unsatisfactory dice roll (eg. fail to roll maximum for damage dice, natural 20s on your attacks/saves .etc), your psicrystal will activate Forced Dream, ending the effect, and restarting the round. Using your Schism action, you remanifest Forced Dream on your Psicrystal, then continue acting normally.

4. ???
5. Profit!

Advantages:
1. You never fail a save ever again
2. Your enemy never succeeds on a save ever again
3. You always hit, and what's more, you crit on every attack
4. Your enemy always misses
5. All effects on you are automatically persisted. Note that this includes all effects, including class abilities and item effects.

Disadvantages:
1. You can no longer use swift actions.
2. Disadvantageous effects are persisted on you too. You can use Iron Heart Surge vis martial study to get rid of unwanted effects though.

On Step 4. (How to further abuse this)
1. The Residual Rebound Spelltouched Feat allows you to automatically reflect all targeted spells that allow a save
2. Use of Lightning Mace style/Roundabout Kick/Avalanche of Blows nets you an unlimited number of attacks
3. The Crusader's Aura of Chaos allows you to deal NI damage with each melee attack

So there it is. Quasi Greater Deity powers at level 15. What do you guys think? Suggestions/feedback/comments are welcome.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:14:01 AM by Celsius »
Dragons. Pffft.

Schrodinger's Cat - The Revolution against the Gods of Dice
Low-Level Handbook - Still under Construction

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
Re: Triumph over the evil Dice-Gods =D
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 07:41:19 AM »
Hilarious! Perfect name for this build, +FU for you!

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 02:39:58 PM »
Well done.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 02:48:12 PM »
Very interesting trick, though there are some downsides on the practicality:

Disadvantages:
1. You can no longer use swift actions.
2. Disadvantageous effects are persisted on you too. You can't use swift actions, so you can't get rid of them using Iron Heart Surge or similar abilities
3. Only 5th level powers when a straight manifester would have 8th level powers. Practiced Manifester feat does allow for a manifester level of 14, however.
4. Limited to 1 encounter a day. Second encounter and daily buff powers will drain most of normal PP reserve, so pray for no more than two encounters.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 03:24:22 PM »
Nicely done.  I'll be sure to hide this from my cousin, who also has bad rolling luck! :p

3. Only 5th level powers when a straight manifester would have 8th level powers. Practiced Manifester feat does allow for a manifester level of 14, however.
4. Limited to 1 encounter a day. Second encounter and daily buff powers will drain most of normal PP reserve, so pray for no more than two encounters.
Number 3 wouldn't be too bad, in that you always save and they never do.  Although, number 4 is the kicker. 
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 03:29:09 PM »
Agreed.
Other than that, very nice :D
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 05:50:09 PM »
Wow. The metamind is no longer a kick in the nuts. I didn't think I'd live to see this day.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 06:18:44 PM »
So the solution is to team up with a Planar Shepherd with an infinitely fast plane. You use this once per day, they make a bubble, you get your sleep, and emerge ready to do it again. And it's not like having a Planar Shepherd ally is that unrealistic when you have this sort of power.

This sounds really fun for a ridiculously high-powered campaign.

Wow. The metamind is no longer a kick in the nuts. I didn't think I'd live to see this day.

Quoted for truth.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 07:23:48 PM »
So the solution is to team up with a Planar Shepherd with an infinitely fast plane. You use this once per day, they make a bubble, you get your sleep, and emerge ready to do it again.
I suppose a sufficiently high level wizard could pull it off with Genisis too (and I guess Plane Shift to get there).
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 10:40:08 PM »
The problem with that is that the created demiplane is not unassailable. If you do this often, enemies might just move into your demiplane and ambush you when you try to come back. With a planar bubble, that isn't possible.

Celsius

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 04:20:32 AM »
Thank you all for your comments. =D

If you repeatedly manifest Temporal Reiteration out of battle (since it's free anyway), giving up any chance of ever using a swift action you could have the rerolling ability indefinitely. And yes, it's very cheesy. The first time I tried to use this character in a game I got chased round the room by my GM wielding a broomstick. (No, I'm just kidding)
Dragons. Pffft.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 01:37:05 AM »
FYI, Iron Heart Surge is a standard action to activate. Otherwise, awesome stuff. I love Psionics for it's wonky temporal machination abilities, although I still don't grok the system as well as I'd like.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Heliomance

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 11:41:59 AM »
You can sacrifice your standard action for a swift action, can't you? It would make sense - a swift takes less effort than a standard.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 12:50:36 PM »
You can sacrifice your standard action for a swift action, can't you? It would make sense - a swift takes less effort than a standard.

Not as I recall.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 12:51:12 PM »
Freaking awesome! The cat came back.  :lol I'm sure theres a way to fix the once aday thing ...
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 12:54:40 PM »
Freaking awesome! The cat came back.  :lol I'm sure theres a way to fix the once aday thing ...

Repeatedly manifesting Temporal Reiteration seems to be the only way of doing that.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 01:32:21 PM »
Repeatedly manifesting Temporal Reiteration seems to be the only way of doing that.

I'm kinda rusty on my psionics, but shouldn't he be able to just persist the damn thing?
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 01:39:09 PM »

I'm kinda rusty on my psionics, but shouldn't he be able to just persist the damn thing?

Temporal Reiteration has an instantaneous duration.

Celsius

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 03:21:35 AM »
Also, as far as i know, there isn't any Persistent Power feat.

There are a few ways to get more swift actions though:

Ability Rip (SK)/Shapechanging/Wildshaping into Chronotyrn/Aspect of Demogorge gives an extra full round, including an extra swift action
Ruby Knight Vindicator 7 gives the ability to spend a turn/rebuke attempt for a swift action

Not quite sure how to fit this into the build though. Maybe an Erudite 10/Metamind 10 with Spell to Power could manifest Ability Rip..
Dragons. Pffft.