Author Topic: Dragonfire adept/swiftblade - doable?  (Read 1972 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Dragonfire adept/swiftblade - doable?
« on: December 12, 2008, 07:42:57 PM »
First, is it possible for a dragonfire adept to qualify for swiftblade (if you ignore the crazy "Must have spent the entire previous level using all 3rd level spell slots to exclusively cast haste" requirement)? Second, is it worth it?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
Re: Dragonfire adept/swiftblade - doable?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 08:51:21 PM »
Well, for swiftblade to work you need to cast Haste all the time, by the looks of it you don't have a comparable invocation to Haste, so most of the Swiftblade's goodies wouldn't work.

fliprushman

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 08:52:50 PM »
Juton beat me to it. ;)
Blah!

Thinblade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 10:13:03 PM »
You'd need to create your own invocation to mimic haste for the swiftblade to work. The problem is, most warlock buffs are of the 24 hour type (ie: all the +skills, fell flight, etc). The warlock is designed along a totally different line than the typical "cast something and it eventually wears off" archetype. So if I was your DM, I'm make your haste invocation at least a Greater, and maybe a Dark, since it's really the equivalent of a level 9 spell (persistent haste).

But if you could somehow convince your DM to make it a lesser, GO FOR IT! Swiftblade goodies all the time! Oh, the fun you could have.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 11:09:01 PM »
I think it would work, after all you don't need to be spamming it, and the Binder vestige guidelines suggest that their vestige abilities be comparable to wizard spells if they work on a per 5 rounds basis, and your spell lasts 1 round/invocation level, and you have no need whatsoever to cast it more often than that, so it should probably fly with your DM.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 06:34:42 PM »
AFB, so would boots of speed work?

I suppose I could take a cloistered cleric dip (a good idea anyway) with the Travel [Devotion] and Celerity domains and pick up a wand of haste for 21,000gp....

Did I mention I want this guy crazy-fast? :D

Duskling Cloistered cleric 1/Dragonfire adept X/Swiftblade X
Traits: Quick
Feats: Bonus Essentia, Entangling Exhalation, Flyby Attack, Shape Soulmeld (Impulse Boots)
Invocations: Greater Draconic Flight
Items: Dragon Spirit CinctureMIC, Pectoral of ManeuverabilityDrac
3 points of essentia in racial speed boost
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 07:10:16 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]