Author Topic: Optimizing an Initiate of Milil - Fun with Cha!  (Read 2634 times)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Optimizing an Initiate of Milil - Fun with Cha!
« on: December 12, 2008, 06:12:53 PM »
Okay, I've got this build floating around in my head on making an Initiate of Milil REALLY work. At first I thought of using a Cleric, but I stumbled upon two problems - MAD and the fact IoM doesn't actually give you extra uses per day, thus forcing you to take Extra Song if you want to be able to play more than Bard levels/day (one funny thing about IoM: it mentions that your Bard and Cleric levels stack for determining what songs you gain, but it doesn't actually REQUIRE Bardic Music!).

Of course, that's when I remembered Devoted Performer. Paladins don't have a problem with losing caster levels, since their spellcasting sucks anyway. And as a general rule, Bardic Music rocks in comparison. So here we go.

This is the base stub of the build.  CHA>INT>STR>CON>DEX>WIS (Switch Wis around if you find it remotely useful. You only really need a 14 in it anyway. This build assumes a human.)

1st  Paladin1 - Able Learner, Devoted Performer (Harmonious Knight Sub Level)
2nd  Paladin2
3rd  Paladin3 - Snowflake Wardance
4th  Paladin4
5th  Paladin5
6th  Paladin6 - Initiate of Millil (Harmonious Knight Sub Level)
7th  Paladin7
8th  Paladin8
9th  Paladin9 - Knowledge Devotion (Harmonious Knight Sub Level)

I'm sure some of you may have already spotted the trick in this. By losing the ability to detect evil, you basically have a Bardic Song progression inside a Paladin's build thanks to Devoted Performer + IoM. Since more often than not Alternative Class Features specify features themselves and not class, you could theoretically swap around Inspire Competence for something better (Inspire Greatness is VERY nice for the level you gain it at with Harmonious Knight). You probably should've been jacking up an investment in Knowledge (Religion), and Milil has the Knowledge domain. Good (or at least nice) stuff all around.

I'm kind of lost on where to go from here, though. Paladin9 already seems like such a hefty investment, I feel like I'm missing out on something...
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Optimizing an Initiate of Milil - Fun with Cha!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 06:24:54 PM »
I'd still rather have a level of bard for the skill points and class skills like Use Magic device.

One of my old builds was a bard1/paladin17/monk2 with the able learner, devoted performer, initiate of milil, and acsetic knight feats. It ended up with bardic music abilities of a 18th level bard and unarmed strike damage of a 19th level monk. I'd also recommend the overwheling attack or passive way monk variant from UA/SRD.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 06:54:10 PM »
I'd still rather have a level of bard for the skill points and class skills like Use Magic device.

One of my old builds was a bard1/paladin17/monk2 with the able learner, devoted performer, initiate of milil, and acsetic knight feats. It ended up with bardic music abilities of a 18th level bard and unarmed strike damage of a 19th level monk. I'd also recommend the overwheling attack or passive way monk variant from UA/SRD.

I find it's better to qualify for Devoted Performer MUCH earlier, in addition to the good saves and stuff, but YMMV.

Some of the best stuff for bards is actually dependant on having a good number of Bard levels (Bardic Knowledge and Spellcasting come to mind, as do skills), so the general skeleton of the build can be tweaked. Also, by going with this instead, you can go into Seeker of the Song without feeling like you shot yourself in your pants.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 02:20:59 AM »
Yeah, Paladin 2/Bard 1 is the best way to qualify for Devoted Performer. That way you don't have to be a bard and suddenly change alignments.

There's a feat in Dragon that lets you stack bard and cleric levels for bardic uses.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 04:30:08 AM »
Yeah, Paladin 2/Bard 1 is the best way to qualify for Devoted Performer. That way you don't have to be a bard and suddenly change alignments.

There's a feat in Dragon that lets you stack bard and cleric levels for bardic uses.

Or you could, y'know, take the sub level. Milil is Chaotic Good, right? You could even be a Paladin of Freedom!

Also, you gain smite evil at Pally level 1, don't you?

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 04:30:35 AM »

Where's the Harmonius Knight sub found?
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 02:35:07 PM »
Champions of Valor web enhancement.

I don't think it's really worth it except to get perform as a class skill sometimes. Even then, with flaws you can take From Smite To Song and get perform as a class skill always.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 02:55:50 PM »

Thanks man. Now that I know what it does I have to say thats pretty sweet Kuro.  :clap
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 05:35:03 PM »
The fun part is being able to qualify for Devoted Performer very early. In fact, as soon as level 1.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]