Author Topic: Is Pathfinder a Boon or a Bane?  (Read 65677 times)

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Is Pathfinder a Boon or a Bane?
« Reply #220 on: December 13, 2010, 12:52:22 AM »
Back on topic: Pathfinder did 2 things right for our group...It made us say "fuck balance, let's have fun" and it made the monk suck slightly less.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #221 on: December 13, 2010, 12:54:58 AM »
Why couldn't you have done that without Pathfinder?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #222 on: December 13, 2010, 12:57:51 AM »
The group was still under the delusion that CORE was balanced. seeing a new core come out that STILL fucked it up finally broke them.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #223 on: December 13, 2010, 12:58:21 AM »
That sounds kinda funny.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #224 on: December 13, 2010, 03:47:40 AM »
The group was still under the delusion that CORE was balanced. seeing a new core come out that STILL fucked it up finally broke them.

Logic and reason being created by the hands of the Pathfinder SRD?  Blasphemy!

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #225 on: December 13, 2010, 04:24:17 AM »
In a roundabout way, Paizil's fail made it easier for us to have a productive game. Everyone pulled their heads out of their asses and stopped obsessing over the "brokenness" of 3.5

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #226 on: December 13, 2010, 06:59:01 AM »
That was hilarious.

Open their eyes!
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #227 on: December 13, 2010, 09:54:21 AM »
I introduced the current DM to the tiers of power and explained that CO is about making a character that does what you want thematically without mechanically sucking, and all the extra goodies that come along afterwards are just good planning on your character's part. YES I will have 20 pieces of chalk.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #228 on: December 13, 2010, 10:26:38 AM »
 :lmao

So back to why Pathfailure is an abomination.

I've covered a few reasons already, but because it amuses me...

The Magus.

In short:

Paizils release a shitty version of the Duskblade, who lacks just about everything a Duskblade needs to be a viable Duskblade. Paizils attempt to defend their fail class. Smart people point out it's completely full of fail, and to return to the drawing board to start from scratch.

They take a diversion to mess with something that makes casters take long amounts of time to resolve their turn in combat, after complaining melees aren't allowed to have nice things if it slows down their turn.

Then they come back to it... and it still sucks. In most of the same ways even. Except now it also has a shitty GMW a few times a day, and some other minor things you could completely forget to write down and it would make no practical difference.

This is an example of what you get when "lots of features, even if they suck" is your design goal. Shiny useless stuff to distract the mouth breathing fuckwits, no actual substance to stop the monsters from slaughtering said mouth breathing fuckwits, but that's ok. Because like 4.Fail, most of the people that claim to be playing it are not actually playing it. They are instead playing Magical Tea Party and calling it 4.Fail/Pathfailure.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #229 on: December 13, 2010, 01:58:38 PM »
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #230 on: December 13, 2010, 02:01:07 PM »
On the upside, it does mean continued module production for those that like modules and are sticking with 3.5. 
Placeholder - T'tosc

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #231 on: December 13, 2010, 02:13:02 PM »
I introduced the current DM to the tiers of power and explained that CO is about making a character that does what you want thematically without mechanically sucking, and all the extra goodies that come along afterwards are just good planning on your character's part. YES I will have 20 pieces of chalk.
While I find the tiers system too mechanistic for me and mine, the part Nytemare says about the thematic stuff is spot on.  I need CO to make good ranger-types that can compete w/ even straightforward clerics, druids, et al. 

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #232 on: December 13, 2010, 02:28:05 PM »
On the Magus:

Firstly, why not just let them have Wizard spells? Why create another spell list that you'll have to maintain in new products, lest ye earn the wrath of your fans?

Secondly, while this class is objectively weaker than an Eldritch Knight build, maybe that's the point. The Inquisitor is like a Cleric that trades their spell casting for a bunch of class features, I'm sure we'll see a version of a Druid soon that gives up spellcasting for some more baubles. Instead of fixing whats abusive about the major casters they just create trap classes, so the old melee classes won't be over shadowed by by casters. But I'm probably reading too much into it, it could be that Buhlman, as a player likes shinnies so that gets expressed in how he designs classes.

I wonder how weak the Magus would actually be in play, I think it may be down at the unoptimized Warmage end of the spellcasting scale, so around Tier 4. Which is probably exactly where they want their classes to be so bravo I guess.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #233 on: December 13, 2010, 02:33:25 PM »
it made the monk suck slightly less.

Hi Welcome

WTF? That is not only horrible flavor, it makes no sense for the Monk class.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #234 on: December 13, 2010, 03:47:37 PM »

Hi Welcome

It's almost impressively bad.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #235 on: December 13, 2010, 03:51:54 PM »
On the Magus:

Firstly, why not just let them have Wizard spells? Why create another spell list that you'll have to maintain in new products, lest ye earn the wrath of your fans?

Secondly, while this class is objectively weaker than an Eldritch Knight build, maybe that's the point. The Inquisitor is like a Cleric that trades their spell casting for a bunch of class features, I'm sure we'll see a version of a Druid soon that gives up spellcasting for some more baubles. Instead of fixing whats abusive about the major casters they just create trap classes, so the old melee classes won't be over shadowed by by casters. But I'm probably reading too much into it, it could be that Buhlman, as a player likes shinnies so that gets expressed in how he designs classes.

I wonder how weak the Magus would actually be in play, I think it may be down at the unoptimized Warmage end of the spellcasting scale, so around Tier 4. Which is probably exactly where they want their classes to be so bravo I guess.

The problem is, that's where it is if you play it like a Wizard lite. If you play it like they try to tell you to play it, you just have a character who fails at everything. Kind of like Monks, actually. Which is what I said before.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #236 on: December 13, 2010, 07:01:55 PM »

Hi Welcome

It's like they tried to make Bleach without swords then fell on Naruto along the way!
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #237 on: December 13, 2010, 09:03:54 PM »

Hi Welcome

It's like they tried to make Bleach without swords then fell on Naruto along the way!

And hit every tree in the stupid branch on the way down.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #238 on: December 13, 2010, 10:01:26 PM »
Hungry Ghost is lame, but check out the Zen Archer monk down at the bottom of the page. 

8 bonus feats in 6 levels and wis as an attack stat makes for a pretty cool variant archer that challenges an equivalent level fighter or ranger as a ranged combatant while maintaining higher saving throws and remaining decent in melee as well.  Standing in place to flurry-shoot (and therefore gain full BAB) solves one of the monk's main problems. 

At higher levels, you'll have more ranged attacks than any other character (+18/+18/+18/+18/+13/+8/+3), with each arrow dealing your unarmed damage (2d10, or more if large-sized - and why wouldn't you be?), and arrows are automatically lawful and adamantine on top of whatever your bow's giving them.  Add in the homing property, the ability to take AOO's with your bow and not provoke them either, and you have a pretty sweet package altogether. 

ProfessorCirno

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Eye'm the strongest!
« Reply #239 on: December 13, 2010, 10:08:26 PM »
Now if only they could do something outside of combat.

Also has anyone mentioned that just adding "fail" to something does not make it witty or insulting?  I mean fuck, "4.fail?"  How does that even work out?  There's literally no connection there.  It's like if I went "Sunic more like BALLsic hurr hurr."

Wait no, I think mine was actually funnier.
"Can I make it absolutely clear, here, now, that I'm only here because the producers said I had to be. I don't like snow, I hate being cold, I hate outdoor pursuits, I hate the idea that I've got to "push my body to find the limit," I can't stand this stupid clothing that makes this rustling noise when you move all the time, and I hate the zips, and the toggles, and all the pockets, and that and I hate your stupid truck."

"Listen. If we make it, look at it this way: you will be the first person ever to go to the North Pole who didn't want to be there."