Author Topic: Is Pathfinder a Boon or a Bane?  (Read 65614 times)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Re: Is Pathfinder a Boon or a Bane?
« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2008, 09:40:45 AM »
Maneuvers are pointless suicide even if you are a full BAB class. 30% success rate and that's before factoring the enemy beats you in the stat contest (BAB, Str, Size).

*insert Fissure pic here*
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Treantmonklvl20

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2008, 10:44:27 AM »
The combat manouver bonus is a tough one.  My group found the printed 15 dif too high.  Adjusting to 10 made it too easy.  We are currently working with a 12 which seems to work OK.

Paladin isn't supposed to fight as well as the Fighter, or cast as well as a Cleric, his strength should lie in the availability of his roleplay potential. Something that people have cried foul on multiple times, but has never been addressed

It very recently has.  The current playtest fix involves giving the Paladin a Smite Evil ability that lasts the full round, then lasts multiple rounds at higher levels.

The theory is that the Paladin is a premature ejaculator.  While everyone else is still fighting the big evil guy, the Paladin is smoking a cigarrette - having blown all his smites on round 1.
If at first you don't succeed - maybe failure is your style.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2008, 10:52:47 AM »
I don't know how relavant this is... I suggested a much more powerful feat tree to enhance "smite" in the Rebalance thread. Basically if at your highest level you get 5 smites perday they should be really really scary things.
Smite = guy gets smited struck Damage + Blindness + Silence + All within sight of the paladin get dazzed for *some arbitrary* number of rounds.
Really though I'm just wondering if we could make smite really really powerful... and varied depending on what feat you take to enhance it. Just a random dart throw right now. . . I've given it no serious though as you can see...
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2008, 11:48:33 AM »
The theory is that the Paladin is a premature ejaculator.  While everyone else is still fighting the big evil guy, the Paladin is smoking a cigarrette - having blown all his smites on round 1.

Yet playing a Paladin can be so frustrating that the player wouldn't be able to get him up 90% of the time.

EDIT:

I like the idea of a Smite with status effects. To be frank, I think that's something a Paladin could REALLY use. Heck, even the BSF has a way or two of gaining an advantage or two.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 11:51:07 AM by Kuroimaken »
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2008, 12:37:31 PM »
I been kickin it around for 3-4 days... I was thinking O4A's way "per encounter" really works but what if you did a supply demand thing. Make it to where man NO ONE wants to get smited. Make it a big deal, maybe that be an interesting fix.
Give it about 12-15 smite choices as feats. make some for smite good, some for smites evile, smite "other" maybe have a feat that changes it to "smite infidel" and definiately give it an effect on people outside the smite "Dazzle" was my choice cause it works on undead. ... awsome.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2008, 02:21:48 PM »
My view is that paladins should get 1 smite/paladin level, similiar to how a monk gets 1 stunning fist/monk level. That way it helps encourage people to stay in the paladin class rather than PrCing out at level 2, 4, or 5. A few more smite-specific feats would help, ranged smite and awesome smite are good examples. I think a paladin also should get a bonus feat every 5th level from a specific list of feats with smited related-feats on that list.

Treantmonklvl20

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2008, 05:01:51 PM »
I too like the idea of a secondary effect.  After all  -  the visuals of blinding with a "Smite" fit the flavor, and the effect makes it more interesting than "yawn - I do nearly fighter damage..."

Dazzle as well is a good fitting ability.  I could buy even a stun or a daze.  You could pick more stuff as you go up in level - and the save could be CHA based somehow.  Maybe a similar formula to stunning fist...

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #147 on: December 21, 2008, 11:12:35 PM »
Maybe Smite could have an additional effect such as cancelling Crit immunity for Undead/Evil guys?

I think that'd be AWESOME, and it might encourage Paladins that don't ALWAYS wield a greatsword...
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2008, 01:09:22 AM »
Stun, blind, and daze seem the most fitting to me.

Maybe auto-blinded for one round and save or dazed for one round.

EDIT- Smite is cloudy in my mind. Super holy powers vs giant demons makes sense, but it's not always so simple. Guess that goes with the alignment territory. I think we could use some new guidelines on alignment.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 01:19:12 AM by Soda »

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2008, 01:30:13 AM »
If you look through the paladin smite thread, one of them has a big compendium I had put together of most of the ideas in the threads to make it easy to read and consolidated. It's worth a look through, but was far from finished.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #150 on: December 23, 2008, 04:55:41 PM »
Y'know , personally , I don't care about Pathfinder ...

but if enough D&D'ers stick to v3.5e , instead of going with 4e , I suppose keeping tabs on Pathfinder
might
be worth it.
maybe
if

??

probably not
but you never know

just keeping tabs

anomalousman

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #151 on: December 23, 2008, 05:48:26 PM »
I would have been more impressed by a haiku than that rather free form.  But your ghost will walk, you lover of trees, down an English lane, if you know what I mean.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #152 on: December 27, 2008, 05:23:08 PM »
My kitty avatar isn't impressed either ...

Treantmonklvl20

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: December 27, 2008, 09:41:09 PM »
Y'know , personally , I don't care about Pathfinder ...

but if enough D&D'ers stick to v3.5e , instead of going with 4e , I suppose keeping tabs on Pathfinder
might
be worth it.
maybe
if

??

probably not
but you never know

just keeping tabs

If you like published adventures then definitely.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2010, 02:12:46 PM »

Raised to mock the Paizils again.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Aharon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2010, 03:33:20 PM »
Are there any additional, shiny, new reasons to mock them?
By clicking this link, you open a pop-up, but I get a eurocent for my current wish, the 5th book of the Wheel of Time series. Please note that this only works if you leave the pop-up opened till it has finished loading. Thank you!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #156 on: December 11, 2010, 03:50:02 PM »
Since 2008?  The APG is laughably shitty.

TheWyrmDude

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: December 11, 2010, 04:10:23 PM »
I personally like the alternate monk path that as its capstone ability, casts true res on allies in a 50 foot radius, and then kills the monk forever.  :lol

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #158 on: December 11, 2010, 04:11:16 PM »
I personally like the alternate monk path that as its capstone ability, casts true res on allies in a 50 foot radius, and then kills the monk forever.  :lol
A purpose for the Monk at last!

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #159 on: December 11, 2010, 04:15:03 PM »
Didn't we have a thread locked a couple years ago because the Admins don't like threads that exist for no reason other than to bash another forum? The Logic Fail thread or whatever? I'm not saying I think Paizo's forum is full of intelligent people, or that Pathfinder accomplished what it set out to do, or that its "We're going to take your feedback and make a game out of it" line wasn't pure hypocritical bullshit, so please don't attack me and claim I'm defending them. I'm saying we all already know that, and it's incredibly masturbatory to raise a thread for no reason other than to keep pointing it out. And I really don't think we need Sunic masturbating in public, particularly considering his particular fetish seems to be some sort of necrophilia/bestiality/sadism judging from the extent to which he's beating this dead horse.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.