Author Topic: The Totemist Handbook  (Read 115471 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: The Totemist Handbook
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2010, 01:59:12 AM »
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Straight up ridiculous. Every single natural attack becomes Save or Paralyze.

I know this is kinda old, and I am performing a bit of necromancy here, but I thought it should be pointed out this does not work. The Paralytic slime ability specifies that it works on their psuedopods, not on any natural attack. The wording is explicit that the slime is only on the psuedopod, and there is no reason to think that it would extend to any other attacks. Also it specifies that you change your hands into these psuedopods, hence, you would actually lose any claw attacks that you might have from your hands.

Overall this is a cool class, but it does not really do much to benefit a Totemist.

And this is why I review all FR material closely before I even think of recommending it. Aside from the fact that I hate the setting.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »
"Any creature struck with aSlime Lord's natural attack..."
I see your argument from a flavor text standpoint but it clearly applies to all natural attacks RAW.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2010, 04:06:16 AM »
"Any creature struck with aSlime Lord's natural attack..."
I see your argument from a flavor text standpoint but it clearly applies to all natural attacks RAW.

Book's outdated. And it says attack, not attacks. It assumes a Slime Lord only has one natural weapon (the Psuedopod).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2010, 12:43:06 PM »
casts raise thread.

Stupid question how are you getting grapples in the 80s and 90s? I can see getting in the neighborhood of +14 from G. Arms and some from feats but still not finding something that high. I'm just considering doing some kind of grappler and still want to try out incarnum so this seems to fit.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2010, 02:59:31 PM »
Mauling Gauntlets is the easiest way, since it gives you 2 + twice the essentia invested in it to strength checks and abilities. There's several soulmelds that can boost grappling.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
casts raise thread.

Stupid question how are you getting grapples in the 80s and 90s? I can see getting in the neighborhood of +14 from G. Arms and some from feats but still not finding something that high. I'm just considering doing some kind of grappler and still want to try out incarnum so this seems to fit.

The capstone class feature. 8 points of essentia is the normal cap for a 20th level meldshaper (+4 base, +1 feat, +1 item, +2 class feature). Totemists get a class feature that doubles the essentia in a soulmeld, meaning you get 16 points total.

Girallon Arms provides a +4 bonus to grapple checks, and an old rule that never got contradicted was that creatures with 4 arms get a +4 bonus to grapple checks (so Girallon Arms effectively gives a base +8). Then it's an additional 2/Essentia, giving you +32 (+40 total).

Since it is bound to your Totem and not your Arms, you either shape the Kraken Mantle or Mauling Gauntlets (or both with the right build) to get another +8 (48), add your Strength (usually +6, but +10 is easily possible), magic items (Belt of Expansion, augmented for maximum size), feats (Improved Grapple you can get for free, so that's a +4), and any buff spells the party casters would like to use on you (several of which grant Grapple bonuses).

For added bonuses, Polymorph yourself into a Mind Flayer. You still get your soulmeld benefits, but you now have the Mind Flayer bonuses from their tentacles.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2010, 06:11:15 PM »
Ok I missed the capstone ability. I was considering a Thri-Kreen pounce/grappler. I figured with 8 claws and a bite I could do some serious damage if I could grapple things. But I guess since it is the lvl 20 ability I shouldn't count on that, but should be an adequate grappler before then.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

shiningphoenix

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2010, 02:26:26 PM »
Regarding the manticore belt:
This article: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20070327a
 Seems to say that natural attacks do not get iterative attacks. If this is the case, wouldn't the manticore belt only get 6 attacks at level 20?
Dead characters are not a factor in this discussion. Only the living ones matter. And they can fly.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2010, 05:29:57 PM »
 Seems to say that natural attacks do not get iterative attacks. If this is the case, wouldn't the manticore belt only get 6 attacks at level 20?

The Manticore Belt is one of those oddball soulmelds. It technically isn't a natural weapon, it is a form of special attack (like a breath weapon). However, the original Manticore had it as a natural weapon, thus there is evidence that the Belt can be affected by abilities that manipulate natural weapons.

However, the 8 and 16 attacks comes from the Essentia investment, not iterative attacks. The Belt itself gains an additional shot for every point of essentia invested. The maximum essentia you can invest at level 20 is 8 (4 base, +2 from Totem Bind, +1 from Expanded Soulmeld Capacity, +1 from an Incarnum Focus item in the MiC). The Totemist's capstone again comes into play: It doubles that number.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: October 03, 2010, 07:25:08 PM »
The Totemist's capstone again comes into play: It doubles that number.
And if you go with the Natural Weapon idea, you can enchant it via the explictly rules-breaking Necklace of natural attacks. So you can get splitting, for another doubling of the number of attacks.

YES it's all unclear, but there are precedents for these assumptions.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: October 04, 2010, 01:52:41 AM »
The Totemist's capstone again comes into play: It doubles that number.
And if you go with the Natural Weapon idea, you can enchant it via the explictly rules-breaking Necklace of natural attacks. So you can get splitting, for another doubling of the number of attacks.

YES it's all unclear, but there are precedents for these assumptions.

Besides, it isn't Charger-level damage (a good number of those attacks are going to miss unless you really tweak your bonuses).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: October 04, 2010, 06:11:10 AM »
Uh, all attacks at full BAB, how much better can it get? It's not Supercharger damage, but it's definitely optimisation worthy damage, and the attacks have fair chances of hitting. Of course, they are still projectiles, so a few simple spells will stop them entirely. I'm not sure if the Force mod would prevent this or not.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: October 04, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »
I seem to remember a Manticore Belt optimization thread, but I can't find it.  Anybody have an idea of what I'm talking about?
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Arz

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: October 04, 2010, 02:10:39 PM »
I seem to remember a Manticore Belt optimization thread, but I can't find it.  Anybody have an idea of what I'm talking about?

The only thing I recall was the debatable use of Heart of fire in combination with it and factotums. If you find anything more I'd be interested.

Alternately on a speed build comboing heart of fire (or mantle of flames) and shedu crown is fun. Trample, if they attack you they go up in flames.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2010, 02:59:19 PM »

I thought there was one in the original handbook, but it isn't there (not even on the WotC version).

I'll check my posts on BG. I'm certain I did one a while ago.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2010, 05:57:10 PM »

I thought there was one in the original handbook, but it isn't there (not even on the WotC version).

I'm certain you did too, or at least contributed to a thread someone else started.  That's why I asked here.   :)
Notes to self

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2010, 06:37:23 PM »

I'm certain you did too, or at least contributed to a thread someone else started.  That's why I asked here.   :)

I can probably reconstruct it, just not until Wednesday (classes take up my book access).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2010, 06:47:06 PM »

I can probably reconstruct it, just not until Wednesday (classes take up my book access).

It's something I'm interested in examing, not a character I'm actually making at this point in time.  No rush.   :D
Notes to self

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2010, 12:41:25 PM »
IIRC the thread focused on adding Dex to damage multiple times.

Critters

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2010, 12:22:01 AM »
A monk can flurry as a full attack and then follow with any extra attacks and and finish with any natural attacks with a full round action.  The text from Girallon Arms says that the arms mirror the movements of the real arms.  Does that mean that you could apply that to the unarmed attacks and get double unarmed strikes as well as being able to follow with the claw attacks?