Author Topic: Day 1: Arrival and Exuberance  (Read 20007 times)

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
Re: Day 1: Arrival and Exuberance
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2008, 12:15:46 PM »
Will someone please rescue that cat? I'm trying to think of what we can do next.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

AlisAtAn

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2008, 12:22:02 PM »
Checking the floor with his pole, Dolos carefully makes his way over to the cat and puts a bolt from his hand crossbow through its head. There. Rescued fer ye.

Rolls
[spoiler]
Coup the grace damage: Double this damage. Coupe the grace on the cat. (1d3=2)

If that didnt kill it, he reloads and put another bolt through its head. (A normal bolt)

Double this damage. Coupe the grace on the cat. Second roll. (1d3=2)

Im using the last bag of tricks roll here, since that never actually happened. Keeps backtracking my previous rolls from being a pain. And it doesnt reallly matter what I draw out of the bag right now, either.
[/spoiler]

After this, he reloads with a cold iron bolt, changes his clothing, casts Detect Magic, and seeing that the door dont have any fancy colors anymore he pokes it open. If nothing happens, he draws a bat from his gray bag and sends it (walking) into the next room. If nothing happens he follows, poking the ground in front of him with his pole all the way.

OOC
[spoiler]Since Hearth made it out okay on her own I`m presuming I never threw my rope in the mud.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 12:55:51 PM by AlisAtAn »
Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2008, 02:02:56 PM »
The cat dies, punctured. Its feet, however, remain trapped in the stone floor.

The door to room three no longer radiates magic. The heroes pick themselves up (mentally) and continue forward.

Assuming you continue onward into room three:
[spoiler]
Room three is similar to rooms one and two, winding further around the tower, and ending in another door that radiates magic. This time, it's enchantment magic.
[/spoiler]

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2008, 02:36:52 PM »
Guys, its enchantment magic this time. I guess you know what that means. Try not to kill me dead if it gets me, aye?

And with that Dolos poke the door open and send the bat through, taking a spot check into the next room while he`s at it.

Spot check into room three in tower. (1d20 8=21)

Also, have we started moving up or down in the tower yet?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 04:27:32 PM by AlisAtAn »
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2008, 02:57:26 PM »
I'll make sure to keep you around. I know a few things about these spells, after all.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2008, 03:59:00 AM »
Killing the cat?  Was that strictly necessary?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2008, 10:31:43 PM »
Probably not, but it looked fun.  I hate cats.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2008, 08:06:14 AM »
Hearth in her infinite knowledge says:
The cat (Felis catus), also known as the domestic cat or house cat to distinguish it from other felines, is a small carnivorous species of crepuscular mammal that is often valued by humans for its companionship and its ability to hunt vermin. Quite useful these little critters, and nice and furry as well!
And then about the enchantment magic:
Don't worry, I'll ready a movement hampering spell so we have time to close the door on him if anything fails ;)

OOC[spoiler]Hearth readies an Impeding Stones spell[/spoiler]
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2008, 11:03:54 AM »
As he poked open the door to the next room, Dolos triggered the trap on the door. He was overcome by the urge to leave the tower, close all the doors, and report his actions to the Mist Watch.

[spoiler]
Save DC was 17
Dolos' Will Save (1d20 4=15)
[/spoiler]

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2008, 11:25:49 AM »
The latest map, in PNG format. Let me know if you can't see it.

EDIT - oops, I forgot to draw in the door from room 3 to room 4 (the door that set off the rock-to-mud trap) but it's there. I'll fix that next time I open up maptool.

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2008, 11:42:20 AM »
Hearth sees the effect happening and reacts instantly:
Quickly guys, Dolos has been overcome with the urge to to leave the tower, close all the doors, and report his actions to the Mist Watch. We can not let him close all the doors because I am afraid it will reset the traps. So everyone destroy the doors and someone grapple Dolos until I can find out how to end the effect!

Rolls
[spoiler]Tries to remember what the duration fo the effect is and how it is resolved.Knowledge Arcana on the enchantment spell (x2 because of feat) (1d20+15,1d20+15=[5, 15], [6, 15]) [/spoiler]

OOC
[Spoiler] Those rolls are pretty crappy: 5 and 6  :o[/spoiler]

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2008, 11:52:13 AM »
Hearth sees the effect happening and reacts instantly:
Quickly guys, Dolos has been overcome with the urge to to leave the tower, close all the doors, and report his actions to the Mist Watch. We can not let him close all the doors because I am afraid it will reset the traps. So everyone destroy the doors and someone grapple Dolos until I can find out how to end the effect!

DM Mode ON (OOC):

You've got no clue what just happened. Only Dolos had Detect Magic up, according to my notes, so Dolos knows that a spell was just cast on him. That's it. You can't react to this information until and unless Dolos starts acting strangely. I'm sure you'll notice right away, that something's up, especially as he starts closing doors, but that's about all you can do at the moment.

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2008, 12:02:14 PM »
2nd try; Hearth sees Dolos closing the door again and asks:
Dolos, what did you see? Why are you closing the door again?
and to the others:
Why are you all just standing there? come a bit closer so you can aid us in case we need your help; like disabling this door as you did with the others. just make sure we can still quickly pass through the opening!

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2008, 12:31:48 PM »
What? Cant you see we`re leaving? Out out out. Everyone out. We`re not supposed to be here. And close the fucking doors. Its not our house, remember? And with that Dolos grabs Hearth by the wrist and starts hauling her and everyone else in his path out of the house, removing all the nails from the springs and shutting the doors firmly.

OOC
[spoiler]Do your thing, Strato.  :D[/spoiler]

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2008, 12:34:22 PM »
Hearth is astonished by the sudden change in attitude of Dolos, but then realizes it is probably due to the enchantment magic present on the door. Hearth resists Dolos' pull attempt and informs the party of what must have happened:
Dolos has gone insane due to opening the last door! Someone please restrain him and stop him from doing any damage to himself or us!

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2008, 12:36:07 PM »
Swyno charges in, grappling Dolos to the floor.

Hearth, help me hold him!

[spoiler]Grapples Dolos, opposed checks.[/spoiler]

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2008, 12:57:09 PM »
Between Hearth and Swyno, Dolos is easily restrained. He doesn't change his priorities, however.

OOC - no need to roll for grapples, two people can hold down a gnome. Dolos won't attack his friends either. It's just that he has to carry out the mental orders before he does anything else. And this isn't going to wear off any time soon, so I suggest you do something other than just sit on him for a few minutes.

I'll update the party layout on the map soon. I just don't want to move anybody into what I would consider a dangerous room before they get a chance to post.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2008, 01:06:46 PM »
Don't you remember - we're here on behalf of his Lordship?  "Reporting" us to the Mist Watch means nothing since we act on behalf of the city already.

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2008, 05:08:50 PM »
GUUUAAAARRRDDDSSSSS!!!I`m breaking and entering so that I can save this mage chick! BUT I`M LEAVING NOW SO IT`S OKAAAY!!! Dolos starts shouting from under Hearth and Swyno.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2008, 10:31:05 PM »
You know? Perhaps I should just disarm the traps from now on. It seems that poking with the pole was a one time kind of thing...

OOC[spoiler]Can I make a Spellcraft check to identify the spell on Dolos? It says I have to be able to see see or detect the effects of the spell, and I'm pretty sure I can see the effects it has on Dolos. Do I need detect magic active to make this check?

If I can, then this was my roll. 1d20+16=34 Unless it's a 14th level spell, I'm pretty sure that roll got it.