Author Topic: Day 1: Arrival and Exuberance  (Read 20013 times)

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
Day 1: Arrival and Exuberance
« on: May 21, 2008, 07:27:28 PM »
The dwarf looks over the party and grins. "Welcome to Dun Eamon, City of Mists! Ye can see where we got that name right out, can't ye?" Looking over the city, you can certainly see why it is so named. The sun is a mere dot in the sky, obscured by the mists, which seem to be a somewhat permanent fixture, judging by the green mossy growths on most of the city's granite stone buildings.

The dwarf speaks again, "Ye don't even need tae ask, friends, the mist never really goes away. Owin' tae the waterfall upstream thar, and tha other one downstream o' us, we're in a cloud all tha time. Ye'll want tae watch yer step until ye get the hang o' things around here, tha cobbles get a mite slippery. But other than that, Dun Eamon is a lovely little town. We've got artisans and crafters whose work in metal is known the world around, and traders of all sorts passin' through here, either to buy our wares, or to buy goods from those such as yersel', adventuers who pass over tha river to tha wild side and go gallivantin' about in tha less civilized lands." He winks and places his finger next to his nose.

"Once ye get settled in, ye'll want tae present yersel' tae tha constabulary. We keep a pretty close eye on folk in this town, lotta folk runnin' around with swords and tha like, it's best to know who's where at tha least, ye kennit?"

Thanking the gatekeeper for his time and information, the party heads into Dun Eamon to find a scene of wild celebration just inside the city gates....

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 03:24:55 PM by pfooti »

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Day 1: Arrival and Exuberance
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:52:28 PM »
*Makes knowledge check to see what the nature of this festivity is roll*
Joyful, Joyful, I cheer along with all the party go-ers and towards a place where I can buy a beer for 1copper piece....
Good day, Sir. May I kindly inquire to the nature of this festivity? And I would like a small beer as well.
*pays 2cp*
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 06:58:36 PM by Ieniemienie »
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
[spoiler]I assume the party is taking place in a city square of sorts, just inside the gate?[/spoiler]

Jered looks around the boisterous activity in the open crossroads just inside the gate.  Knowing from experience that many fiends like to use such revelries as playgrounds for their twisted sense of fun, he makes a quick scan of the area for anything obviously out of place.  He then moves through the crowd and locates a seller of mead, buying a mug and priming the barkeep (4 cp ale, 1 cp tip).

[spoiler]In order: Listen check, Spot check. (1d20+8=20, 1d20+8=25)
Bluff check (1d20+7=20)
Gather Info (1d20+7=24)[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 11:58:33 AM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

AlisAtAn

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 07:27:41 PM »
Seeing the citizens celebrating, Dolos`s outfit suddenly changes from one suited for traveling to that one would expect to find on a noble. He slips on a signet ring from his pocket and dons a thick gold chain and a couple of (fake) diamond rings. After telling Mack to be back by dawn and leaving Jackyboy at a sable (1cp),

I walk into the same pub as Hearth, but ignoring her completely. I order 2 pints of beer and wave the female elven bard playing banjo and singing folksongs in the corner over to my table. Thats a mighty pretty voice you have there, lass. I`ve been to many a tavern and even once to the halls of a king, but never have I heard a voice such as yours. And I should know, for I own a great theater in my hometown of Sharn.  Why dont you come up to my room tonight, and we cant talk about a future where you are a star singer in the city of towers?  :eh

OOC:
[spoiler]
I just took the most impressive place to be from I could come up with on the fly. If Sharn dont work for you, Pfooti, let me know. This is just a minor bluff though...
Also, as me and Hearth have a open relationship I`going to assume we have an arrangement where we always have separate doublerooms.[/spoiler]

Bluffcheck:
[spoiler]Bluff check to smooth talk elven bard at tavern. (1d20+8=27)
Damn lucky roll!  :smirk[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 07:29:25 PM by AlisAtAn »
Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 11:14:12 AM »
The pub directly inside the city gates is small, and looks to be overpriced as well. Probably the sort of thing that caters to caravan guards, too much in a hurry to get some ale to bother looking deeper into the city. A sign out in front of the plain gray building shows an ale barrel pouring forth its contents, without any kind of tap or cork in the barrel. The Broken Tap is empty at this time, save for the lone bartender. Everyone else is out in the streets, doing whatever it is that they're doing. Cheering, by the sound of it.

The swirling mists from the twin waterfalls, above and below the town, limits visibility to approximately thirty feet. Judging from the slime on the cobblestones and the moss growing just about everywhere, this mist is pretty well permanent.

While no member of the Hoods of Discretion knows what the party is about, it's rather easy to determine. Hearth's question to the Tap's barkeep is responded to with a smile and a nod. Well, ye see, the Band o' The Crimson Mantle has killed one of those infernal demons that have been plaguin' us. First time we've been able to strike back at them, what with all the troubles and all. I'm sure if you head a bit further up the street a bit, you'll see 'em parading about. He takes a perfectly clean-looking mug and wipes it out with a rather dirty rag, fills the mug with ale, and hands it to Hearth, repeating the process with Jered and Dolos.

After distributing ales, the barkeep looks the party up and down. "Ye're all new in town, I gather? I don't remember seeing you around before, and I usually get to meet most new folks coming in. Dun Eamon's a pretty simple town, but here's some advice. Don't cause no trouble, and trouble won't be seekin' you out. We're a bit rough around the edges here, but things are pretty simple. The Angus brothers keep a firm hand on things, and give the city guard a lotta' power. But, keep them swords sheathed, them spells uncast, and be polite, and ye'll get alorng jes fine."

"If ye don't have a place already picked out, I suggest you stop by the Market Tavern. Good rooms, and I'll admit it: the ale there is better, although it ain't as cold or as cheap. Tell Agatha I set you, and she'll treat you right. Once you get settled in, you'll want tae present yourself to the constabulary. We keep a pretty close eye on folk in this town, lotta folk runnin' around with swords and the like, it's best to know who's where at tha least, ye kennit?"

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 11:15:59 AM by pfooti »

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 12:19:02 PM »
Swyno leans over and nudges Hearth. "You know what he's talking about with regards to the demons? I've never had the chance to play with one before."

He waves the barkeep away, turning down the offer of a beer. Sweat is coming off of him, the atmosphere too warm for someone from such a cold climate.

[spoiler]The language he's using is Terran, wasn't sure of the colour.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:06:50 PM by Stratovarius »
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 01:16:34 PM »
Hearth thanks the bartender for his help, and leans over to Swyno:
Swyno leans over and nudges Hearth. "You know what he's talking about with regards to the demons? I've never had the chance to play with one before."
I have read numerous books on demons and other vile creatures, but have never encountered one myself either. Most of them were humanoid once, but they sold their soul to a dark lord. Will you accompany me to congratulate and extract some information from the adventurers of the Brand of The Crimson Mantle? After that we might want to register the gang to not cause any trouble. checking out the Market Tavern might be a good idea as well"

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 01:27:12 PM »
I'm hardly the one to do the talking in social situations, remember? I'll listen and let others do the chatting. And yes, we might as well register the group, I'd rather avoid trouble if possible.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
Jered Winter (Human Rogue/Swashbuckler)
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 01:40:39 PM »
Overhearing hushed tones of Terran, Jered approaches his companions and inquires about their thoughts.

I'm interested in meeting these other adventurers.  And I'm curious to learn what they found and how they dealt with it.  Fiends are tricky; if they didn't know what they're doing, these 'heroes' may have let some get away unnoticed.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:45:56 PM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

amalcon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Narius
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 01:41:35 PM »
Narius muttered a curse at his luck, wandering directly into a party upon arrival.  Avoiding the tavern entirely, he decided to take about an hour to wander the city, taking particular note of the tallest structures he happened to run into in that time:  it had become something of a ritual, finding points that he might glide from if he needs to travel quickly.  In Dun Eamon, that strategy seems less effective than one might expect.

He glimpsed the parading Crimson Mantle fairly shortly after starting those wanderings, as the common place for the tallest buildings is at the city center.  His curiosity got the better of his discomfort:  he did approach the parade, and listened to the general banter of the crowd.  Folding his arms in front of himself and his wings behind, he tried not to meet anyone's gaze even as he watched the events of the day with an extremely intent and anticipatory gaze.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 05:17:16 PM »
Ha ha!  Competition!  I love it!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 05:28:06 PM by PhoenixInferno »

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 05:27:37 PM »
The center of the exuberance is the open area nearest the western gate of the city, called the Caravan Rest ((Marked C on the city map)). It's so named, clearly, because that's where all the trade caravans stop and unload their wares.

First, the setting: This open space in the city looks to be where all the trade caravans of food and merchandise originate and terminate. Under normal circumstances, this area would be filled with people loading and unloading wagons. There are a wall-less tents set up that look like good places to find bargains, and another area that looks to be where the caravan guards and drovers congregate. They probably sleep out in the open plaza, since most guards save their money and don't spend it on luxuries like a bed or a roof.

All of the commerce in the area has been paused, though, as nearly everyone is surrounding a grisly scene. Hoisted high above the crowd, nailed to a cross, is the corpse of a hideous demon. Teeth, horns, pebbled red skin, and claws all testify that this is no normal creature. It looks like it was killed by a group of adventurers who nailed it to the cross and are now parading it around the city. They are surrounded by admirers, who shout encouragement.

The adventurers doing the parading are a mixed lot: a Half elf male looks to be the leader, and he is accompanied by a female human priest of some sort, and a male gnome in grungy clothes. A pair of male human brothers complete the set - one is burly and carries the cross through the crowd, and the other is more slight and wears a longbow strapped to his back. All five are distinctive in their clothing - they all wear bright red capes.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 05:30:22 PM by pfooti »

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 05:34:46 PM »
*Hearth sees if she has recognizes the creature from one of the books she has read*
[spoiler]Knowledge [Arcana/Planes] Check: roll[/spoiler]

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 05:49:49 PM »
The demon appears to be a Dretch, which Hearth has heard of, but probably never encountered in person. Individually, they're not too much of a threat to a wary adventurer, but they tend to move in large numbers, and don't believe in fighting fair.

[spoiler]
Damage reduction 5/cold iron or good, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, telepathy 100 ft. A few SLAs as well.
[/spoiler]

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 06:09:07 PM »
Myrd also attempted to identify the wretched beast pinned to the post.

Knowledge(The Planes)1d20+5=15

Myrd leaned over to Aelamar and said, Competition? Hardly. Dretches rank among the weakest of the demons. These people have hardly anything to cheer for. These adventurer's wouldn't even be worth our time if they only slaughtered one.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 03:21:16 PM by Smudgyhandsman »

AlisAtAn

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 08:46:32 PM »
Seeing as there never was a elf to smoothtalk, my character did the natural thing and wandered off with Hearth and Swyno to see the infamous "demon" being paraded around town. Seeing its wretched shape on the cross, he exclaimed Now that thing no look so impressive. I bet I could have it pass out with a simple colorspray. Aye, I remember this one time, before I struck up with you to, mind... And he starts telling one of his not-so-epic tales of extravagance. Naturally, Hearth and Swyno, having heard it all before, dont even notices a single word after colorspray...

OOC
[spoiler]Not even going to roll a bluff for this one. [/spoiler]
Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 09:03:33 PM »
Well, I've never bested a demon before, so that makes them that much better than me.  Hopefully, there are many more of them around so we can each test our strength and our faith.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 09:09:38 PM »
I wager your hopes will be answered.  Those vile things like to gather in hordes...

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 07:19:53 AM »
Filthy little creatures they are! roaming around the land like a plague, attacking and destroying anything that comes in their way... Like locusts they are only dangerous in numbers; one by itself is nothing but a pathetic lost soul. Now we have seen vile creature, lets go ask those heroes how they slayed this beast and whether there are more.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 07:57:05 AM by Ieniemienie »

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 08:49:24 AM »
Swyno laughs at Hearth gently. "Is there anything you don't profess to study, little one? And Aelamar, tests of faith are always best suited to those who can overcome them. Perhaps these... Crimson Mantles possess a training we do not."