Author Topic: DnD 3.5 Low level survival horror game.  (Read 18427 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: DnD 3.5 Low level survival horror game.
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2008, 08:09:57 AM »
What?
There are no horror elements inherently attached to binder. Where is that coming from?

You're binding vestiges of the souls of ancient creatures into your own soul to draw upon their power... and some of them are based on ancient daemons and the cuthulu mythos.  That's pretty horror, if you want to take that route. 

Of course, you could also just ignore that, so either works.

Either way, I think the Factotum would be perfect for this as it's an adventurer class that's not too powerful but can be adaptable if needed.

JaronK

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2008, 09:06:41 AM »
I recommend you spend an additional gp and buy a hundred candles.  They have a weight of --, so...
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2008, 10:33:37 AM »
I've got an pc idea.
I'm a warblade out building his personal legend.
Who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. . .

(horror ensues.) So he's trying to deal with crazy insane stuff but bravery is often just not
enough . . .
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008, 11:25:44 AM »
^That would be a good idea, submit me a build.

Wow this thread took off, and I'm going to answer a few questions.

Flavor wise there's really not a lot that is inappropriate, just don't pack tier ones to a survival horror game. There's a certain suspension of disbelief that you have to give me for me to be able to run the game, and that includes having clerics not exist.

Taint is a yes, though I'd advise against seeking it out.

Binders will be acceptable, in fact I really enjoy binders. I just traded a druid for a binder, and I think I'm liking it. Tome of Battlers are great as well, in fact, they're exactly what I want. I'm still kind of mad that my DM won't entertain the notion that Tome of Battle isn't unbalanced just because he heard this one guy say it was unbalanced this one time. Factotum will be good, I like the class a lot, and we won't have to worry about the nova capability any time soon. So far it looks like it's all hunky-dory.

One thing I forgot to mention is flaws are in, as are traits. Enemies use them. Also, there won't be any fucking toughness and endurance bullshit. This will be a horrific campaign. One last thing, though. I will accept a paladin, on the stipulation that they lose their fear immunity. Fear is kind of the whole point here.

One final thing, though. If you folks wouldn't mind, I'd like to guage your characters in a series of fights, progressing from what I think will be easy to what I think will be hard, just so I can get a happy medium (since it's widely acknowledged that the CR system is fucked).

EDIT: lol, forgot the alignment question. There shouldn't be an alignment restriction, as this is a fairly situation-driven plot, you just have to be someone who will work towards the common goal of staying alive, whatever that entails. That reminds me: Don't get butthurt if you get a door shut on you if you run too slow and someone's not willing to risk getting swallowed by the as of yet nameless scourge that chases you.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2008, 12:34:21 PM »
iv already changed my mind on a paly...

The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2008, 12:52:13 PM »
I wonder how a monk would handle running the hell away...
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2008, 02:15:52 PM »
Are there still slots open? I feel like joining this one (since the tabletop Ravenloft campaign I'm in just got Time Stop'ed)...

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2008, 02:43:31 PM »
im thinking just a basic half orc/orc paragoner maybe going to menacing brute, if i can dig out the book.

EDIT:i just reread what i posted here, im abit slow today..    :eh i thought i had drank a pot and a half of coffee but it looks like im still asleep.. half orc, what was i thinking..

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:23:10 PM by altpersona »
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2008, 04:09:51 PM »
I've accepted, I believe 3 people so far. Give me a build or an idea that I can imagine in my head and I'll probably accept you.

@ emissary: Average your hit points, you did not roll those, you got a 4.5 and a 3.5. that's just how we're rolling. sorry.

So yeah, 3 slots open, post up a build or a solid idea that lets me know what you wanna play, and I'll put you in. Original post being edited to show who's been accepted.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2008, 04:42:11 PM »
Hmmm....

Maybe Crusader 1/Paladin of Tyranny 4/Crusader +x or Crusader 8... both ways leaning towards White Raven...

I would play a caster, but since the tier 3 ones don't buff as much as I want, I guess I will pass...

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2008, 05:47:58 PM »
So I am thinking of playing a stage magician (rogue) who is typically use to having everything under his control but will probably freak out in this type of setting. He'll be a coward, a liar, and a cheat but you'll love him anyways.

Ideas?

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2008, 07:32:35 PM »
dark_samurai I'm really liking that idea. He might go well as an invisible blade for the increased feinting ability (sleight of hand is a lot like feinting), or perhaps maybe a bard. Cool idea, go ahead and run with it.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2008, 08:49:09 PM »
Wait well who all has been accepted?
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2008, 09:08:36 PM »
Well, you're on the list. I have seen 6 people show what I can see is serious interest, but the parenthetical people I'm waiting on for builds. If you provide me a build, you can be in.

I still need some more prep time, what with organizing maps and such and statting NPCs and prepping encounters.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2008, 11:56:50 PM »
So here is a build of my guy, what do you think?

Arthur MingDale
Male Human, 3rd-Level Rogue
Size/Type: Medium Humanoid (Human)
Hit Dice: 3d6+1 (15 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares),
Armor Class: 16 (+4 armor, +2 Dex), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+1
Attack: Dagger +4 melee (1d4+0/19-20x2; 10ft.) or Sap +2 melee (1d6 non-lethal/x2) or Hand Crossbow +5/+6 ranged (1d4+1/19-20x2; 30ft.)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Sneak Attack +2d6
Special Qualities: Poison Use, Feign Death
Resistances: Trap Sense +1
Saves: Fort +2 (+1 base, +1 Con), Ref +5 (+3 base, +2 Dex), Will +0 (+1 base, -1 Wis)
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 14
Skills:  Bluff +9 (6 ranks, +2 Cha, +1 dishonest), Diplomacy +0 (0 ranks, +2 Cha, -2 dishonest), Disguise +10 (6 ranks, +2 Cha, +2 synergy), Escape Artist +6/+7* (6 ranks, +2 Dex, +1 during grappling*, -2 ACP), Forgery +8 (6 ranks, +2 Int), Gather Information +8 (6 ranks, +2 Cha), Hide +6 (6 ranks, +2 Dex, -2 ACP), Intimidate +10 (6 ranks, +2 Cha, +2 synergy), Move Silently +6 (6 ranks, +2 Dex, -2 ACP), Perform (Illusions) +8 (6 ranks, +2 Cha), Slight of Hand +8 (6 ranks, +2 Dex, +2 synergy, -2 ACP), Use Magical Device +8 (6 ranks, +2 Cha)
Feats: Point Blank Shot1 [H], Improved Initiative [1st], Weapon Finesse [Flaw], Precise Shot [Flaw], Hand Crossbow Focus [3rd]
Flaws: Coward & Insomnia
Traits: Dishonest (+1 buff, -2 diplomacy) & Slippery (+1 escape artist checks during grappling, -1 all other grapple checks)
Possessions (60.5 lbs)Cure Light Wounds (750 gp),155 gp in a sack, and 300 in jewels & gems in a sack     
Alignment: Neutral Evil   
Languages: Common, Giant, Goblin
Challenge Rating: 3

Sources
Poison Use for Trapfinding (Drow of the Underdark)
Hand Crossbow Focus (Drow of the Underdark)
Feign Death for Evasion (Exemplars of Evil)
Boot Blade (Complete Scoundrel)
Thumbscrew (Book of Vile Darkness)
Mushroom Powder (Book of Vile Darkness)
Bolt Cutters (Arms and Equipment Guide)
Ear plugs (Arms and Equipment Guide)
Marbles (Arms and Equipment Guide)
Frostwine (Arms and Equipment Guide)

Coward: You automatically fail all saves against fear effects. An ability that makes you immune to fear (such as becoming a 3rd-level paladin) instead grants you a saving throw, but at a -4 penalty on the save.
Insomnia: In order to get a full night of rest you must succeed at a DC 15 Fortitude save. If you are sleeping and a disturbance wakes you during the night, you must make an additional save (at the same DC) to return to sleep. If you fail the Fortitude save you are fatigued when you rise in the morning. If you are fatigued when you try to sleep, you gain a +2 bonus on your save. If you are exhausted, you gain a +6 bonus. Comfortable conditions, such as those found in most inns, grant you a +4 bonus on this save. Poor conditions, such as sleeping on the ground or in armor, give you a -4 penalty on this save. Even if you sleep poorly, you may prepare arcane spells as normal after 8 hours of fitful rest.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:38:07 AM by dark_samuari »

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2008, 12:04:15 AM »
I'm assuming that the +61 to hit is a typo, but explain how you got +11 to damage on that hand crossbow? Are you averaging the sneak attack, or is that the awesomeness that is Hand Crossbow Focus that I don't actually know what it does?

Once I hear that, it sounds pretty fine to me, although insomnia seems a bit iffy to me, but I'll allow it, since you have such a low fortitude save. Consider your build accepted. Now just waiting for 2 more people and then we'll be ready to quasi-start.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2008, 04:39:50 AM »
That was actually a high 1 in word that was to mean that it's +5 during normal combat and +6 when within 30ft. from point blank shot. It was just a formatting problem.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2008, 09:04:05 AM »
Here's Dorial so far:   http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=95886

The basic concept for him is that he's the son of two adventurers from a party of adventurers.  These two decided to settle down together, remaining friends with the rest of their group, after they defeated... something (DM can insert whatever fits in his campaign).  They raised him and told him many stories of their adventures, and his "uncles" and "aunts" were in fact members of their adventuring party, all of whom had generally decided to try the simple life.  And of course they trained him.

Anyway, after a time Dorial wanted to have adventures of his own, and this was great, since after 10 years of the peaceful life the entire party was quite full of wanderlust... the peaceful life is downright boring after you've been slaying dragons.  So off they went, most likely traveling other dimensions and generally living it up, and off the young Dorial went to have his own lower level adventures.  He crafted his own gear, determined to be self reliant, and went and saved a few maidens here and there, rescued farms from orc raiders, and generally practiced his art.  But in the end, he wants to be a great adventurer like his parents and aunts and uncles.

JaronK

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2008, 10:31:39 AM »
Of course, the Iaijutsu Focus Factotum.

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2008, 10:40:44 AM »
Iaijutsu Focus, the most broken skill in D&D
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat
Warning: You may have already been set on fire

Bread does not need a reason