Author Topic: DnD 3.5 Low level survival horror game.  (Read 18407 times)

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
DnD 3.5 Low level survival horror game.
« on: December 06, 2008, 03:18:05 PM »
I'm starting this game because I want to work on my horror, along with generally getting started with DMing (I've done some games before, but never a pbp). There are a few ground rules:

1: No darkvision. All people are humans in this game, with exceptions on a case-by-case basis. Darkvision can ruin the horror aspect of a game. As anyone who played bioshock or dead space knows, much of the horror comes from the dark. If you want to see in the dark, you will pack a torch.

2: I'd like to keep the group all around the same power level. If you're a power gamer, talk to the people whose builds look weak to you, and if you're not so good at optimizing, look to the players who are better at it than you for help. Tier3/low end of tier 2 is a good place to be. Quickly search this board if you are unfamiliar with the tiers. Try to be nice.

3: Don't expect a ton of custom magical items, it's rather unlikely. Expect things like potions of cure light wounds. Don't bring an artificer, there won't be any time.

4: Classes that are not setting appropriate: None, really. If you want to reflavor something, that's totally cool, too, but don't bring Inu-Yasha to this game, because that would be silly, and follow the guidelines for tiers of power. Nobody'd better bring a fucking cleric. Oh, that reminds me: no animal companions, no mounts, no leadership, no army of undead; just no.

5: Books: On a case-by-case basis, with everything being a default yes. If I look at your build and I see something I don't recognize and cannot obtain, then the answer's probably no. I have access to core, completes, races, dungeonscape, eberron, heroes of horror, libris mortis, lords of madness, tome of magic, tome of battle, dragon magic, magic of incarnum, book of erotic fantasy, and some others, so chances are if you want it, I've seen it, but if it's not on the list, just ask.

The game will start in a city , which I will name at a later date. I have a plot guideline, but I don't really have all the details in yet. I'm looking for between 4 and 6 players, though I'd possibly open to more. Game starts at level 3, should probably end around level 8 or so.

EDIT: Forgot character generation. Average hit points, 25 point buy, starting gold as appropriate for 3rd level characters.

EDIT2: Accepted people:
1: Jaronk
2: emissary666
3: Rhys
4: (Midnight_V)
(5):(risada)
6: dark_samurai-sweet by the way.

How did I forget dark_samurai, when his build idea was so cool? Hmm, we seem to have 7 people now. No more people apply unless 2 people drop off. I've never run a group this large before.

people in parenthesis have expressed interest but have not provided a build yet. I'll give them a few days to give an idea, but if they don't get an idea within, say 3 days, I'll take their name off.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: DnD 3.5 Low level survival horror game.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 04:36:22 PM »
So, I'm interested... would a Human Factotum work?  It seems like the right sort of build for the theme (adventurer into the dark!) and fits your power level...

JaronK

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 04:51:02 PM »
im interested.  human paly i think, maybe sorcadin..
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 04:54:26 PM »
4: Classes that are not setting appropriate: None, really. If you want to reflavor something, that's totally cool, too, but don't bring Inu-Yasha to this game, because that would be silly, and follow the guidelines for tiers of power. Nobody'd better bring a fucking cleric. Oh, that reminds me: no animal companions, no mounts, no leadership, no army of undead; just no.

Make up your damn mind.  :lol
What the hell is an inu-yasha? What book is that from? ... Did I just fail at something? Damn.
K. Interested.
Someone should do a horror campaign. Will there be taint?

\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 04:57:41 PM »
Ooh, taint.  As a warning, Tainted Sorcerer is a REALLY powerful class.

JaronK

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 05:00:43 PM »
Ooh, taint.  As a warning, Tainted Sorcerer is a REALLY powerful class.

JaronK
Jaronk! You just narc'd me. Boooo.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 05:02:30 PM »

Make up your damn mind.  :lol
What the hell is an inu-yasha? What book is that from? ... Did I just fail at something? Damn.
K. Interested.
Someone should do a horror campaign. Will there be taint?

I believe Inuyasha is an anime series...

Too bad I'm too busy with uni at the moment, this sounds like a lot of fun :D

Best of luck with this campaign, guys :) Maybe I'll be lurking every now and then ;)

~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 05:22:25 PM »
What's the alignment restrictions looking like?

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 05:30:56 PM »

Hehe, sorry.  No overpowering the DM's campaign though!  My first instinct here was Dread Necromancer, before I realized that would be totally wrong.

But yeah, Inuyasha is an anime... it's not in D&D.

And hey, are flaws/traits in?

JaronK

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 05:43:50 PM »

Hehe, sorry.  No overpowering the DM's campaign though!  My first instinct here was Dread Necromancer, before I realized that would be totally wrong.

But yeah, Inuyasha is an anime... it's not in D&D.

And hey, are flaws/traits in?

JaronK
Its funny I actually though thats what you would play when I say your name and I thought... hmm.. tainted scholar if taint. Hilarity ensues. The no cleric thing is fucking weird.

I believe Inuyasha is an anime series...
Yeah I just googled it. I've failed at anime for the day. I actually knew that series I'd never watched it so it slipped my mind.  So I'm still not entirely sure what that means. Whatever though.

I'm thinking one of the TOB classes though. Or binder.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 05:56:43 PM »
You know, Binder might fit the horror motif pretty well, unless it was considered too on the side of horror, you know?

JaronK

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 06:10:24 PM »
Dread Necro a possibility? Or Shadowcaster?
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat
Warning: You may have already been set on fire

Bread does not need a reason

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 06:17:25 PM »
You know, Binder might fit the horror motif pretty well, unless it was considered too on the side of horror, you know?

JaronK
What?
There are no horror elements inherently attached to binder. Where is that coming from?

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 06:19:18 PM »
I'm hoping binder or shadowcaster. I'm not too good at optimizing though.
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 06:22:01 PM »
You know what thats awsome.
Or you just pointed out something awesome.
Binders. Even if theres two of them, you never feel like anyones stepping on your toes or interferring with your schict. So much variance there.
Awesome. How many is that? 3? or 4?
Its funny . . . I'm surprised Jaronk and I haven't gamed together sooner.
Where we in a game that got retired? OR was that JJ? must have been jj.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 06:23:47 PM by Midnight_v »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 06:30:28 PM »
JJ is the Dragon Shaman guy as far as I know :P [/lurk]
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 07:17:09 PM »
Here is a rough outline of a character

[spoiler]
Reaper
Binder 3
Human Male
Alignment: NE
Str: 12
Dex: 12
Con: 8
Int: 14
Cha: 16
Wis: 8
HP: 17
AC: 12
Skills: Bluff +7, Craft Weaponry +6, Diplomacy +7, Intimidate +7
Feats: Expel Vestige, Ignore Special Requirements, Improved Binding, Martial Weapon Proficiency Scythe
Flaws: Pathetic
Equipment: 150gp, +1 Scythe, 3 Cure Light Wounds Potions, Adventurers Kit, 200 pieces of Chalk, Rapier, Short Bow, 100 Arrows, Artisans Tools
Special: Pact Augmentation, Soul Binding, Suppress Sign

Appearance: Reaper is 6'10", 200lb, and 23 years old. He has pale white skin, short black hair, and crimson red eyes. He normally wears black pants, a black shirt, and a black cloak, part of the reason people call him "Reaper" He seems to exude an aura of dread.
History: Reaper has no name. He was an orphan in a large city, the only thing to his name being a book on binding vestiges. The city he lived in considered him a demon and exiled him. Every town he went to would chase him off. Finally, he got sick of running. One day, he walked into a town and systematically killed everyone. He now adventures, trying to find his own place in the world.
Personality: Reaper is a violent and cunning being. He spent his whole life being hunted, but now he is the hunter. He is strangely likable and tends to command attention.[/spoiler]

Reaper's path is one of personal horror. He knows that judgment is coming, and he fears what it may be.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:11:45 PM by emissary666 »
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 07:18:24 PM »
Pretty cool stuff. Damn you work fast.

emissary666

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 08:23:09 PM »
The benefit of having no life
I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat

Rhys

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 05:41:13 AM »
This sounds nifty, and I've got a character idea that I think might end up fitting pretty well:

EDIT: Made some changes to use Flaws, generally be a little more competent

[spoiler]
Moe
Silverbrow Human (Dragon Magic) Barb 1/Crusader 1/Totemist 1
Alignment: C/G

The Barb 2 was just clogging up the works too much in the future, as useful as Uncanny Dodge is.  Plus, now I have crazy-tacular AC for a 3rd level character.

Appearance:
Moe is a hulking, slightly hunchbacked warrior.  He usually stands at about 5'11'' and weighs about 210 lbs.  The right side of his face is covered in silver scales, and his arms seem to be just a bit longer than they ought to be.  Close inspection reveals whiplike tentacles and a slender tail wriggling in and out of cracks in his full plate.  In spite of all this, he usually has a smile on his face (It only looks a little bit deranged).  He's nineteen or so, but it's almost impossible to tell by looking at him.

Though he began life as a normal child, Moe began to show the signs of his recessive aberrant genes in his teenage years. First, his parents tried to conceal his strange heritage from others in the village, but when Moe began to fly into rages (over things like that guy kissing that girl he liked, or the head villager being snooty, or that time uncle Jeb puked on his bed), his parents despaired of ever controlling his inner demons. Only months later, they outed his condition to the villagers, and he was exiled as a "corrupted demon child". Moe, forsaken by all, wandered the lands in the search of nothing in particular (he's not a think ahead kinda guy). Slowly, as his form mutated more and more, an idea formed in his head. He would help those like him, others twisted into dark forms by their heritage or experiences. If Moe had his way, no one else would have to wander alone.

Medium Humanoid (Dragonblood)
Hit Points: 31 (5 point Crusader Damage Pool)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft
Armor Class: 24 (26 vs Evil) (8 Armor, 2 Shield, 1 Dex, 3 NA, 2Def vs Evil) Touch: 11 (13) Flat-footed: 23 (25)
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+9
Attack: +6 Masterwork Pick (1d6+3)
Full Attack: +6 Masterwork Pick (1d6+3); +3 Tail (1d6+1); +3/+3 Tentacles (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Special Qualities: Rage 1/day; Pounce; Wild Empathy; Crusader Damage Pool (5); Furious Counterstrike; Double Illiteracy
Saves: Fort: +8=7+2-1 || Ref: +4=3+1 || Will +2=1+0+1
Abilities: STR: 17 || DEX: 12 || CON:14 || INT:8 || WIS:10 || CHA:6
Skills: Listen: +6 (6) || Survival: +5 (5) || Balance: -1 (5) [2 Ranks bought CC] || Total ACP: -7
Maneuvers: (5 Known/5 Readied/2 Granted):
Crusader's Strike
Vanguard Strike
Stone Bones
Leading the Attack
Douse the Flames
Stances:
Martial Spirit
Default Soulmelds (Essentia=1)
Wormtail Belt (1)
Lammasu Mantle
Flaws:
Pathetic Cha (For obvious reasons)
Shaky
Traits:
Quick (The dark things from the Dungeon Dimensions are starting to prey on my mind.)
Plucky (+1 Will, -1 Fort)
Feats:
H)Aberration Blood (Flexible Limbs)
F)Dragon Tail (RoD)
F)Durable Form
1)Deepspawn
3)Multiattack

Gear: [2,694.5 gp/2,700 gp]
308gp = Masterwork Heavy Pick [6]
100gp = Weapon Crystal of Illumination, least [Good light for 5 feet; Shadowy Light for 10 feet]
1,650gp = Masterwork Full Plate [50]
500 gp = Armor Restful Crystal [Sleeping in Armor doesn't fatigue you]
20 gp = Heavy Steel Shield [15]
15 gp = Adventurer's Kit [33]
75 gp = Longbow [3]
5 gp = 100 Arrows [15]
10 gp = Battleaxe [6]
10 gp = 1 Blessed Bandage (MiC, Stabilizes Target)
0.3 gp = 30 Torches [30]
0.2 gp = 20 Pieces Chalk
1 gp = 100 Candles
[158/260]
5 gp, 5 sp

He's sort of a healer, which is useful with no Clerics and Druids around, and he's also a good tanky guy. Advancement from here as of now is STRAIGHT Totemist.  We're gonna see how many natural attacks one creature can have, and we're putting Improved Multiattack on it. (Hint: Give me long enough, and the answer might have two digits.)
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:31:44 PM by Rhys »