Author Topic: Working on an Eberron Campaign - Ideas welcome  (Read 13540 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Working on an Eberron Campaign - Ideas welcome
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2009, 02:39:10 AM »
Make that a regular dungeon feature that bypasses dungeon walls, the enemy and his minions can use that to  preempt PCs who must take the long way around. Have a couple of murals that are the 'wrong' dragon types that lead into deadend passages and deathtraps.

Minions are so much more effective when they can do hit and run attacks on the invaders. Another fun dungeon idea is reconfigurable dungeons, traps, or a central control room can rotate or slide dungeon passages to change the layout, 3d reconfiguration a plus. Mapping goes a bit nuts though.

A simple example of this is a Rubik's Cube dungeon, put doors on some sides of each subcube, and when they align with a matching door, they are passable. Or, in 2 dimensions instead, a bullseye layout, overlapped with a spiderweb, rooms rotate clock and anticlockwise to present different configurations. For maximum fun, put a trap on each door to rotate the layer it's on whenever the door closes.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2009, 04:11:16 AM »
The traditional Room of Pillars is always fun.

1) Some pillars are broken, others intact.  Most reach up pretty high.  The enemy are mid/high level rogue/swordsage types who have skill mastery: jump and play a vertical maze game on the pillars.

2) Or just have them run from pillar to pillar, strafing with shot on the run, and always ending the turn under cover.

3) Having a few of the pillars be illusionary is fun too.  Have a big ugly grappler hidden in at least one.  Secret passage in another.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2009, 08:45:33 AM »
It doesn't really work as a regular dungeon feature as it becomes too easy to predict, and too easy to get the password from the guys that are needing at least a full round to open the door.

If you want them zipping in and out of places just make sure they have Dimension Door on their spell list, and that the Unhallow is set to 'those who adhere to a different faith or alignment'. At which point PCs can't teleport but they can.

Overuse takes the trick out of it. Now normal secret doors, go ahead and use those that way.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2009, 12:02:52 PM »
*Thread resurrection*

If anyone cares to provide me with some more ideas, please feel free :)
I'm working on plenty of stuff myself as well, but extra ideas are always welcome :)

The campaign has taken on a sort of 'find and retrieve powerful artifacts' theme so far.

Okay, so the PCs (who are level 9 at the moment) are currently on their way from Karrlakton to the Mror Holds, since they learned that the next Dragonshard they must retrieve is located somewhere in the vaults of House Kundarak.

So, what would they encounter on their way from Krona Peak to Korunda's Gate and from their to the vaults? What obstacles would they face if they wanted to infiltrate the vaults? What would the layout and defenses of the vaults look like? Any potential allies or enemies/rivals?

Aside from this Mror Holds portion of the adventure, I'm also working on the next portion of the campaign, which will likely feature the PCs travelling to Q'Barra. I'd like to place the next artifact somewhere in the lost city of Haka'torvhak, but that's guarded by the Half-Fiend Black Dragon Wyrm Rhashaak...

I'd love to find a way to run this portion in a manner that involves the PCs finding a way in without alerting Rhashaak to their presence, seeing as they'd be fucked if they encounter him (they'll be level 11 tops by then), but I don't want to make it seem like some kind of cheap cop-out.

My main conundrum here is how to make the threat of being discovered by Rhashaak very real, but without severely screwing the PCs over and without severely downplaying his presence or resorting to some sort of deus-ex-machina...

Thanks again for any ideas, tips and insights,
~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2009, 12:34:37 PM »
What obstacles would they face if they wanted to infiltrate the vaults?
Besides magical traps? Dungeoncrashing golems. Big-ass golems and/or undead that crush you into goo on the wall.

What would the layout and defenses of the vaults look like?
This seems like you're leaning towards a good old fashioned crawl, if they haven't been through one yet.  It would be an interesting change of pace. Especially if it was a Labyrinth effect...

My main conundrum here is how to make the threat of being discovered by Rhashaak very real, but without severely screwing the PCs over and without severely downplaying his presence or resorting to some sort of deus-ex-machina...
Do they do research ahead of time? Scry? Scout? Anything? The best way to do something like this is A) rumors of how dangerous he is/things he has done and B) an actual show of his force. Party A gets there first and gets rape-faced. PCs arrive to catch the last 1/2 of the fight or so. And what's left is unpleasant at best.  Hell have the wizard hop out and "wind up" near the party, beaten and dying, terrified of the place.  Lots of ways to instill terror.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2009, 12:45:14 PM »
What would the layout and defenses of the vaults look like?
This seems like you're leaning towards a good old fashioned crawl, if they haven't been through one yet.  It would be an interesting change of pace. Especially if it was a Labyrinth effect...
Yep, that's what I'm thinking about, combined with some guard patrols and whatnot.

Do they do research ahead of time? Scry? Scout? Anything? The best way to do something like this is A) rumors of how dangerous he is/things he has done and B) an actual show of his force. Party A gets there first and gets rape-faced. PCs arrive to catch the last 1/2 of the fight or so. And what's left is unpleasant at best.  Hell have the wizard hop out and "wind up" near the party, beaten and dying, terrified of the place.  Lots of ways to instill terror.
Thanks, that would definitely help with the instilling fear and terror part :)

And yeah, once they learn of the dangerous nature of the territory they'll probably have the Artificer perform at least some basic scrying.

Any particular ideas about keeping the fear alive during the PCs expedition into Rhashaak's territory without actually having them encounter the big guy, but also without rape-facing them by saying something like "Okay, the sound of this last battle with some Lizardfolk alerted Rhashaak. Roll up some new characters, guys."?
Basically I need a good excuse why he doesn't teleport into action or something after hearing a battle, or why he wouldn't notice said battle.
I don't want it to look like the only reason he doesn't hunt the PCs is because the DM doesn't want them to end up killed.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2009, 01:08:51 PM »
Minions. Send minions. Also, make sure they're ready to 'port out or have a good hiding place. If they don't, they want to die, obviously.  I mean worst case scenario they'll go hire someone else to get it for them. ;) If I was prepared, you can be sure Illusions of us running down alley X would be there for him while we hid behind Door Y.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2009, 01:18:34 PM »
I'll have to remind them of that. Preparation is a major key to success, but they seem to forget that a lot of the time :P

Thanks for the tips, they'll most certainly help :)

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2009, 03:59:28 PM »
No problem. ;)
In a situation like that, you need guerrilla tactics, and it can be hard if you've never had to do that before.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2009, 04:00:51 PM »
Yeah, at least 2 players are new to the game, one of which really needs a PHB to properly learn the rules (would've gotten it for her birthday, but it wasn't in stock), and the others don't always think ahead in terms of planning either :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 04:03:16 PM by BowenSilverclaw »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2009, 11:24:10 AM »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2009, 11:28:55 AM »
Well, finding a few dragonshards in the corpse of some other warlock, with the scene implying that something big broke out and started attacking couldn't hurt.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2009, 02:38:41 PM »
Thanks, that's one way to drive the point home :P

Anyone else have anything? :)

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2009, 02:51:13 PM »
Put the party against some lowly Rakshasas that call the warlock as "vessel", "container", "keeper", "human seal" or anything else...

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2009, 03:02:45 PM »
Oh, and have any Rakshasa minions that attack do nonlethal damage exclusively to the warlock.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.