Author Topic: Working on an Eberron Campaign - Ideas welcome  (Read 13542 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Working on an Eberron Campaign - Ideas welcome
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2009, 05:36:06 PM »
Races of Eberron has plenty of advice on changelings. It would not be unusual for some changelings to be both the prostitute and the bigwig politician.

Escaped artificer's project. An artificer's pet project escapes, it's a magical device/construct that animates objects and forms them into swarms of whirling junk. While initially harmless, it has recently swept up some stray magic, and attained a low level of sentience. Now it wants to become more, and will seek new mass, preferably magic ones. Adventurers are practically magic encrusted...
The thing itself is a hivemind of animated garbage, operating from a central body(the swarm which contains the Mother construct, and probably a bunch of broken magic items), with it's 'limbs' being just heaps of animate trash. The limbs hunt down quality products and haul it back to Mother. Players can attempt a peaceful resolution, or try to junk it, but if junked, it's likely that Mother would escape and return with a vengeance.

ZONNNNDAAAA!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 05:39:14 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2009, 05:37:47 PM »
Did I miss a reference here?
It does sound a little bit like Nano from the new TMNT cartoon, but other than that...
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2009, 05:38:54 PM »
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2699.0

Admittedly, it's not quite the same thing as kidnapping humans so it can turn them into shapeshifting constructs and feed on their stress... (though there is a "pile of trash" construct in an MM that can possess humans)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:37:01 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2009, 10:33:52 PM »
Heh, no reference from my end, I just pulled it outta my ass.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Wordman

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Asteroid
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2009, 02:08:38 AM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:07:26 AM by Wordman »
Ctrl ]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 07:00:22 AM »
One more, two classfuls of apprentice wizards(levels 1-3) engage in a nonlethal spell duel in the streets. The PCs first warning of the event is when the local shops close and everyone flees the streets, followed by finding that they are standing right between the two oncoming mobs of spellcasters.

Watch them freak out.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

gtroc

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Dancing in the stars.
    • The Laughing Stick
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2009, 02:08:03 AM »
just a thought I had while reading through this thread.

deep in the Cogs scouts working for house Cannith have discovered a vault of ancient goblinoid design the door is made of beyshk(sp?). something is buried there, could be good, could be horrid. the news gets leaked to Morgrave university, and also to a mind flayer living in the depths of the Cogs. all of these factions end up seeking to open and claim what is locked in the Vault, though each has their own concept of what is there. the dark lanterns and the emerald claw could also get involved if you want. this could work for a political, martial, or intellectual game with just a few tweaks.
I saw a lady on T.V. She was born without arms. Literally, she was born with her hands attached to her shoulders... and that was sad, but then they said, "Lola does not know the meaning of the word 'can't.'" And that to me was kinda worse... in a way... ya know? Not only does she not have arms, but she doesn't understand simple contractions. It's very simple Lola, you just take two words, you put them together, then you take out the middle letters, you put a comma in there and you raise it up!
-Mitch Hedberg

Games
running: Power and Consequences
Planning: An Imperfect World

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2009, 05:08:13 PM »
I always figured Sharn had a society of Tower-climbing orphans who survive or scavenging and selling information.  They have their own little artifice shop which makes custom crafted items of that nifty (and almost never used) evocation spell that attaches a ladder of force to any surface.  Joining this band of climbing eyes and ears (the Tower Monkeys perhaps?) requires accumulating enough magic debris and/or cash to get your own such item.  Kinds wanting to join will try to snatch minor magic items from the PCs.

But I tend to use Coruscant as my inspiration for any place with lots of vertical space.  Sharn totally needs a mynock equivalent.

Also, have a battle on an Airship (or whatever the Eberron equivalent is called).  Start it as a running battle on a tower that moves onto the airship, and then the mooring lines get cut and it's up up and awaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2009, 05:11:23 PM »
Aye, an airship battle is planned already, but the PCs will be way on to their way to Karrnath by then.

Although, depending on how they handle the 'shindig' encounter (no, not at all Firefly related :P), I might be able to incorporate your idea for a moving battle as well, thanks for the idea :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2009, 12:14:16 PM »
Emerald Claw Bone creature elves. Not only do they get great stats and resists for free, you get to mess with that whole 'it's just a skeleton' bit. For fun, add real skeletons, just to throw everyone off.

This is an elaboration upon my earlier Emerald Claw points. I'm mostly mentioning this because it is actually possible, with great difficulty to make humanoid NPCs relevant in this way.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2009, 12:47:11 PM »
Bone Creature is BoVD, right?
Any particular reason to go with elves?

Thanks for the tip, I'll remember it for their encounters with the Emerald Claw :D

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2009, 02:50:31 PM »
Because eberron elves have an Undying court?
Killing one of these is probably killing a well respected elder of the nation.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2009, 02:52:05 PM »
True, true, but how did the Emerald Claw get it's hands on Aerenal Elf corpses?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2009, 03:12:11 PM »
They didn't, Aerenal Elves aren't all good people :D
This is a faction that supports the Claw.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2009, 03:12:58 PM »
Might work, I'll keep it in mind :)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2009, 05:48:26 PM »
Elves because the Emerald Claw was essentially the evolution of Vol's will, formed and created by the joining of elf and dragon. So it stands to reason many of the Emerald Claw members would be elves. The fact they get another +2 Dex, and lose nothing is an added bonus.

Not all Eberron elves are Aerenal. Some are Valenar, and some are 'city elves' which means just what you think it does. The idea is that Emerald Claw members turn themselves, or each other into intelligent undead to go on living and scheming.

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2009, 05:52:12 PM »
I like it :D

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2009, 06:22:27 PM »
At some point, you need these puzzles to be involved. Yes, I've used these.

First one: Party descends spiral staircase. Due to the angles involved, you can't see more than 10 feet ahead unless you can see through solid stone. Everything around is stone, including the steps. Suddenly, whoever is leading finds one of the stairs is actually made of metal. This will naturally evoke suspicion. An easy Search check (say, DC 15) reveals that there is a crack between the wall and the stairs and there is a wire running from the metal stair into the wall. In fact you might even notice it without actively looking, say Spot DC 25 for the same information.

If you step on the step you get hit by a relatively weak spell that the inhabitants would be immune to or benefit from, but that would hinder any intruders. I used Inflict Critical Wounds. Adjust up or down depending on party level, but it's not really meant to be dangerous even if you handle it wrong. You could use some other spell if this is the base of some other group accordingly. Whatever.

Most will not step on the step. They will say Obvious Trap is Obvious, and disarm it.

Here's the kicker. This is the worst fucking thing you could possibly do. What you're supposed to do is trigger the trap. The reason for this is that triggering the trap disables a much worse trap a bit further down for a short time. If you skip the step, or disarm it, or whatever you have no choice but to trigger the second trap, as you can't get to it without first setting it off due to positioning. What is this horrible second trap you might ask? Why, it's the mighty Alarm spell, set to mental mode and tied to the BBEG, or some other such badass down there. That is nonsarcastic by the way. If you can't see how 'alert the BBEG right off, and you don't even know you fucked up' is a nasty trap then you clearly aren't making your BBEGs right.

The other reason it's so nasty? The inhabitants just walk down the stairs at a casual speed like normal people and never trigger it, though if one did trigger it by accident it would just put the base on standby mode without going ballistic. They identify their own, and continue their operation, possibly smacking the guy for pulling the proverbial fire alarm. End result is the BBEG doesn't lose more minions to his front door. Adventurers, who will naturally disarm the trap, and proceed at a max speed of 5 feet per 6 seconds due to Search taking a full round action? Oops. Suspicious behavior alert! If for some reason one was taken hostage, and made to lead the way he could also trigger the alarm in this way. He tells them to step over the trap. He's telling the truth - there is a trap there, which Search, Sense Motive, whatever will confirm. Then they get down to the heavily fortified front entrance and shot up by ranged attackers through arrow slits. The archers should actually be SAing with rays or something at mid and high levels to ensure relevance.

Fucking with expectations for the win.

Let me know if you want more.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2009, 06:28:47 PM »
Okay, that one is definitely going to get used at some point in the campaign, that's Fu-worthy :D

And yes, more ideas are always appreciated :)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2009, 06:45:10 PM »
Here's another one.

There is a mural on the wall. The mural is of a big green dragon, however most of it is not visible at all and is just a very vague outline. Due to some Epic foreshortening, you can only see the claw. The claw is very detailed and looks real and is reaching out, as if clasping itself around an invisible spherical object, claw points almost touching each other.

An appropriate Knowledge check will reveal this is the Draconic equivalent of a handshake. Due to the size differences, they use this gesture to symbolize a pact or bond with some smaller creature with a humanoid anatomy. Humanoid, Monstrous Humanoid, Giant, whatever. What you're supposed to do is touch each claw with a finger in turn - thumb, index, middle, ring, pinky, one at a time and going from left to right (which means use your right hand). Then you kinda jab your hand forward, touching all the claw points at once and say something fitting to the pact. This part varies depending on the individual agreement. Do all that and something happens. Maybe the wall opens and reveals a treasure room. Very important: The BBEG should have Unhallow (Dimensional Anchor) everywhere so you can't just teleport through, or around freely at the least, if not some teleportation redirection shit. Whatever. Point is you want to get through, but you don't know how because you don't know exactly what to say. The same Knowledge check tells you that this ritual is very exacting and the dragon will get pissed off at the lesser creature if they screw it up. Pick a strong magic trap for the level with some connection to Green Dragons. I like Horrid Wilting, since Greens are the forest dragons, and often swim as well. It's also Necromantic which is doubly appropriate.

If you fuck up, the hand appears to grab the person (fluff illusion), casts the spell, and then attempts to fling them away in disdain (any spell that can do a bull rush reliably, or TK violent thrust, or whatever).

Note that either the area beyond will need to be optional, or there needs to be some way of learning the exact wording required to pass somewhere around or at least a clue to the above. This may require divination casting. Just make sure it's not an unsolvable road block, just like with any other puzzle.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]