Author Topic: Warlock Information Compilation  (Read 163612 times)

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Warlock Information Compilation
« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2010, 02:20:55 PM »
What would be a recommended Gestalt combo for a Warlock?
Binder is neat and fits thematically very nicely. Factotum is also a good choice.

Tenebrus

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: December 05, 2010, 02:26:12 PM »
Hideous Blow is also a Standard Action and just 1 attack. Even of the damage may be higher at low levels, it's also less likely to land.

That Fighter 4 / Warlock 3 could instead make 2 attacks with his Eldritch Glaive.

Losing the d10 is pretty severe at lower levels.  The touch attack with EG is very nifty, however, and a fighter BAB makes those touch attacks pretty easy.  Perhaps we start with HB, then take EG when we get to iterative attacks?

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #162 on: December 05, 2010, 02:34:18 PM »
If what you want is dealing damage in melee like that, you're much better off using Maneuvers. They do it far better. Warlocks are all about the trickery and ranged attacks, not plain brawling. Touch attacks are also good.

The only way to make even EG useful is to get plenty of attacks and a REALLY high EB damage base. Hideous Blow, while not bad at really low levels, is just plain inferior to even a Fighter using that Glaive, and that's just sad.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Tenebrus

• Email
« Reply #163 on: December 05, 2010, 02:57:11 PM »
Remember, no ToB, so no maneuvers.  This is a search for bonus damage through the core and Complete books only.

I'm not keen on a melee combatant built on the warlock's d6, so fighter has to be the majority of the classes, which means about Warlock-3 for 2d6 plus Practiced Spellcaster for another 2d6 when you can get to it.  There's only so many stat points, so no use building up charisma and thus no use for Sicken et al.  I see your point about EG when you get 2+ attacks, but there's 7 levels to wait for that with the warlock mixed in, and that's half the level life of most characters for me (we have never gone higher than 18th, and rarely above 12th).

It still seems more broadly applicable than sneak attack damage, which takes forever to build up through the feinting feats.  What am I missing?  Thanks.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #164 on: December 05, 2010, 03:05:06 PM »
Do you have the option of using Penetrating Strike? It's an Alternate Class Feature for Rogues. I'd make a Daring Outlaw => Swashbickler 16 / Rogue 4.

Warlocks aren't that good for damage unless you optimize heavily, generally speaking.

Failing the above, just make a Barbarian. Those do more than decent damage.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 03:07:58 PM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #165 on: December 05, 2010, 04:13:36 PM »
I generally steer clear of Hideous Blow anyway because it provokes an attack of opportunity.

Tenebrus

• Email
« Reply #166 on: December 05, 2010, 11:09:40 PM »
I generally steer clear of Hideous Blow anyway because it provokes an attack of opportunity.

How so?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #167 on: December 05, 2010, 11:15:36 PM »
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20061027a

If you are using the hideous blow invocation, you no longer suffer attacks of opportunity for invoking this power in melee and all attacks of opportunity you make can include hideous blow.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #168 on: December 05, 2010, 11:39:43 PM »
Question about the epic feats:

If you the feat that lets you use two eldritch blasts/round, could you use it to combine Hideous Blow and Eldritch Glave?

For double the Eldritch Blast damage for one attack?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #169 on: December 05, 2010, 11:50:13 PM »
Looks like.  Not sure why you'd want to, though, unless you were using Utterdark Blast as your essecne.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #170 on: December 05, 2010, 11:52:09 PM »
I'm kind of thinking of if you have a couple levels of Eldritch Theurge, for the "putting touch spells on your eldritch blasts" goodness.

If you can dig it.

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Tenebrus

• Email
« Reply #171 on: December 06, 2010, 03:22:18 AM »

If you are using the hideous blow invocation, you no longer suffer attacks of opportunity for invoking this power in melee and all attacks of opportunity you make can include hideous blow.

Wow.  A melee power that causes you to be attacked for using it.  Way to playtest, WotC!

Com.  Plete.  Ly.  Worth.  Less.  (barring an overturn from my reasonable DM) Thanks!

Incendax

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #172 on: December 06, 2010, 04:15:52 AM »
I'm interested in getting Hide and Move Silently as class skills without losing caster progression. The only absolutely official way I have found is Ruathar but you cannot get into that until level 7. Skill Knowledge and a custom mentor for Apprentice might be viable, but is there an absolutely official way to get both skills earlier than Ruathar?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #173 on: December 06, 2010, 04:17:52 AM »
I'm interested in getting Hide and Move Silently as class skills without losing caster progression. The only absolutely official way I have found is Ruathar but you cannot get into that until level 7. Skill Knowledge and a custom mentor for Apprentice might be viable, but is there an absolutely official way to get both skills earlier than Ruathar?
Able Learner?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #174 on: December 06, 2010, 04:18:02 AM »
If you allow Kingdoms Of Kalamar material, you can spend a feat on Skill Prodigy for (int bonus) more class skills.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #175 on: December 06, 2010, 10:05:17 AM »
Hide can also be nabbed by Martial Study (any Shadow Hand manuver).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #176 on: December 10, 2010, 09:13:54 PM »

Wow.  A melee power that causes you to be attacked for using it.  Way to playtest, WotC!

Com.  Plete.  Ly.  Worth.  Less.  (barring an overturn from my reasonable DM) Thanks!

Might want to nab Karmic Retribution if you have it...

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #177 on: December 11, 2010, 02:20:46 AM »
That said, it's actually a nice invocation once you have that feat, since it allows you to add eldritch essences to all of your AoO's.  Yes, I would love to force Fort saves vs. negative levels on all my AoO's.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Spiraldrive

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #178 on: January 01, 2011, 04:49:52 PM »
I'm looking over the build for the Nightcrawler warlock, and while it looks pretty cool and interesting, I'm curious about something.  I assume the line "Quicken: Flee the Scene" at level 9 for both builds refers to taking the Quicken Spell-Like Ability feat for that particular invocation?  Because looking at the Quicken Spell-Like Ability in the SRD, I see that it has a requirement of a spell-like ability at CL 10 or higher to qualify for taking the feat, which I don't think you'd have yet at level 9.  Moreover, it also specifies that it can only affect a spell-like ability with a level equal to half it's caster level minus four.  Flee The Scene's psuedo-spell level thing is 4, which would require a CL of 16 to quicken using it if I'm grasping this correctly.  Neither of those stated builds reach CL 16.  So... am I missing something?  Is there a version of Quicken Spell-Like Ability that doesn't have such a severe CL requirement, or are you using some other feat to accomplish the quickening?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 01:08:37 AM by Spiraldrive »

stranglebat

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: January 03, 2011, 02:18:20 AM »
There is quicken SLA feats in Monster Manual 1-5 and BoVD and from memory its either MM3 or BoVD that relaxes the CL req and changes it to quicken a specific ability 3x a day rather than all of them 1 a day

BoVD: No CL req and 1/day all SLAs Quickened
MM:3 CL 10 req 3/day of 1 SLA Quickened
MM:2 Same as BoVD
MM:1 Same as MM3
MM:4 Same as MM3
MM:5 Same as MM3

forgot Savage species has one too that says Minimum CL 8 to get it (though its for 0th lvl SLAs)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:39:54 AM by stranglebat »