Author Topic: Warlock Information Compilation  (Read 163591 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Warlock Information Compilation
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2010, 12:04:18 AM »
What, no bloodlines?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2010, 01:29:45 AM »
Just noticed a rather important mistake on the Epic Fiendish Resiliance feat.  The first time you take it, it raises the Fast healing rate to 25.  Each additional time you take it, it increases the Fast Healing by 5 and gives you an additional use per day.  This actually makes it a rather decent feat in higher epic.  Fast Healing 40 for each encounter (assuming you have 4 per day) for 5 minutes at a time is nothing to sneeze at, even in Epic.  You don't even have the 2000hp that it heals with each activation (50 round duration), so each time it's garunteed to heal you fully.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:43:54 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2010, 01:19:48 PM »
A few handy items for Warlocks:

1. Bracers of Blast Barrier: 3,200gp price tag makes these available around level 5.  Turn your Eldritch Blast (or any other damaging invocation) into a 10*10 wall 3/day with a duration based on spell level (if using your Blast for this, apply an Esccences).  Not bad as it offers some battlefield control long before you gain access to any of those invocations (not counting Wall of Gloom).

2. Bracers of Entangling Blast: Less expensive at 2,000gp and more useful to boot.  3/day, you can alter any invocation to deal half damage, but entangles anyone damaged by it for 1d3 rounds (no save)  During each round, they take 1 damage per spell level.  This is best used when combined with a damage over time invocation (Wall of Perilous Flame actually ends up dealing more damage this way) as the entangling will re-trigger each time they take damage.  In the meantime, you just gave them a -4 penalty to Dexterity, -2 penalty on attack rolls (total of -4 for Dex-based attacks), and halved their movement speed.  Not bad, and the price is right, making this item available early on.

3. Gloves of Eldritch Adimixture: 2,500 gp to add fire, cold, or acid damage to your Eldritch Blast up to 3/day, depending on how you spend the charges.  It's bonus damage, which can be handy.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:21:32 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Cazador75

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2010, 09:49:49 AM »
Hi folks, I've a little question.

Why is the feat Flyby Attack so cool? You can move, attack, and move again without exceeding in total your movement speed (50'), I really don't see it so useful...

And other thing, if I use invisibility, and disembodied hand, if the hand attacks some one, will I become visible or only the hand will?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:14:31 AM by Cazador75 »

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2010, 10:16:31 AM »
Hi folks, I've a little question.

Why is the feat Flyby Attack so cool? You can move, attack, and move again without exceeding in total your movement speed (50'), I really don't see it so useful...

And other thing, if I use invisibility, and disembodied hand, if the hand attacks some one, will I become visible or only the hand will?
For one, it's great mobility - you can, say, fly into range, fire, and fly back out of range. For two, it has no feat prerequisites, so it literally only costs you a feat. For three, note that it lets you take any Standard action, not just an attack. So you could also fly into range, fire off an invocation, and fly away.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2010, 10:36:49 AM »
For two, it has no feat prerequisites, so it literally only costs you a feat
This.  It lets fliers do what it takes two (for Ride-by Attack) or three (Spring Attack) feats to do when stuck on the ground.  One of the big advantages to flight in the game is the benefit of three dimensional mobility; Fly-by Attack highlights this benefit at the relatively low cost of one feat, whereas movement forms with less inherent benefit to mobility are forced to spend multiple feats for the same effect.  There are, of course, ways to get Fly-by Attack and its equivalents without paying for the feat(s) entirely, but Fly-by Attack is still cheapest and most often useful unless your group is always spelunking.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2010, 10:43:33 AM »
There are, of course, ways to get Fly-by Attack and its equivalents without paying for the feat(s) entirely, but Fly-by Attack is still cheapest and most often useful unless your group is always spelunking.
And even then, unless your maneuverability is bad, it's still at least as useful as either of the other X-By-Attacks (which is to say, admittedly, not very, as you don't have much room to fly by, but still.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Cazador75

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2010, 11:14:05 AM »
Hmm, ok, I admit that it could be very useful in a fight.

About the other question? If I use Disembodied Hand and Walk Unseen at the same time, if the hand attacks someone, do I become visible or only the hand does?

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2010, 12:11:31 PM »
You become visible too, I'd say.
The Hand may be not attatched to you, but it is no summoned monster(only exception I know off, where ysou stay invisible while your spells do damage).

Cazador75

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
But the hand has a separate HP and AC, doesn't that mean that it acts like other creature? Like when you summon something and control it...

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2010, 12:36:50 PM »
Would you become visible, if your Spectral Hand delivers Vampiric Touch?
The Spell is pretty similar to the Invocation, since it also has 1d4 of your Hp & it's own AC.

Cazador75

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2010, 12:46:20 PM »
Yeah, It's the same question...

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2010, 01:00:34 PM »
The Spell reads like this in the SRD:
A ghostly, glowing hand shaped from your life force materializes and moves as you desire, allowing you to deliver low-level, touch range spells at a distance. On casting the spell, you lose 1d4 hit points that return when the spell ends (even if it is dispelled), but not if the hand is destroyed. (The hit points can be healed as normal.) For as long as the spell lasts, any touch range spell of 4th level or lower that you cast can be delivered by the spectral hand. The spell gives you a +2 bonus on your melee touch attack roll, and attacking with the hand counts normally as an attack. The hand always strikes from your direction. The hand cannot flank targets like a creature can. After it delivers a spell, or if the hand goes beyond the spell range, goes out of your sight, the hand returns to you and hovers.
Important part in bold, chances are your Invocation has the same bit of text somewhere in it's descirption(can't look it up right now, away from books).

Cazador75

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2010, 07:02:29 PM »
DISEMBODIED HAND
Lesser; 4thdisembodied hand is destroyed, it regrows in 1d4 hours. At the end of this period, you regain the 5 lost hit points. Only one of your hands can be used for disembodied hand at any time; if your disembodied hand is destroyed, you can't use this invocation again until your hand regrows.

Nowhere does it say "attacking with the hand counts normally as an attack", it only says that you have to normally expend your time on your actions while directing it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 07:05:51 PM by Cazador75 »

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2010, 06:44:27 PM »
Another way to get into Demonbinder is to be a Changeling with that racial emulation feat...

In all seriousness, while binding a Marilith, could you, let's say, create 2 Eldritch Glaives? Or would you be limited to 1 only?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2010, 07:38:38 PM »
Hmmm... racial emulation lets you copy subtypes... is there any way to use that to enter Fiend of possession?
Planetouched Handbook

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2010, 01:16:34 AM »
Hmmm... racial emulation lets you copy subtypes... is there any way to use that to enter Fiend of possession?
Only if you can find a Humanoid with an alignment subtype.  Changelings can only mimic those of the Humanoid type.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2010, 01:20:36 AM »
Incarnate construct + dustform + imp I think works.
Planetouched Handbook

vrischika111

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #138 on: September 17, 2010, 05:29:25 AM »
DISEMBODIED HAND
Lesser; 4th
... The hand is considered a Diminutive creature ...

Nowhere does it say "attacking with the hand counts normally as an attack", it only says that you have to normally expend your time on your actions while directing it.

if it's considered a creature, then it becomes visible on its own (and only the hand)
Do it. Or don't do it. But never regret !

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2010, 07:27:16 PM »
I asked this in another warlock thread but maybe it would be better served here. Anyone know if Eldritch Theurge can be used to progress the arcane casting granted by Chameleon?

Was thinking something along the lines of Warlock 5/Chameleon 2/Eldritch Theurge 2 for a 9th level character. Would count as a 7th level warlock for invocations and a 4th level Chameleon (CL 8) for Arcane casting if I'm working it out right? You'd always have to use the arcane focus.