Author Topic: Warlock Information Compilation  (Read 163592 times)

carnivore

• Grape ape
Re: Warlock Information Compilation
« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2010, 11:02:18 PM »
First post! (I think....)

I'm in the middle of statting up a warlock, with some help from the people here and at GITP....I think he's going to end up like this :

Warlock 8 / Cloistered Cleric 1 / Hellfire Warlock 3 / Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7

And insert random other stuff afterwards.  For example, I suppose I could go into Eldritch Theurge, or maybe somehow cheese myself into Eldritch Disciple, but honestly, I don't think I'll live that long :p  That's for someone else to figure out.

i would do this instead:

Warlock 2/ Cloistered Cleric 3/ Eldritch theurge 10/ ........ then pick what you want this way you get more from both classes

urarenge

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #101 on: June 01, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
another warlock level, maybe? +1d6 eldritch blast, +1 fort and reflex saves and a dark invocation, for filler

gorfnad

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2010, 07:16:52 AM »

veovius

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2010, 07:31:16 AM »
Well the only reason I'm dipping cleric is to get the abjuration spells to get IotSV.  I would have preferred to keep the character pure warlock (up to IotSV), but the other way of getting spells (Magical Training / Precocious Apprentice) would require flaws.  Besides, this way I get few neat devotion powers, so I'm actually up....4 feats.

Cazador75

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2010, 09:39:57 AM »

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2010, 11:38:30 AM »
Forget Frightful and Sickening Blast.  They don't scale and enemies are far too likely to make the save to negate them.  Go with Entropic Warding (it's awesome, but you will need to decide what the duration is with the DM.  The two spells it mimics have different durations).

Hammer Blast (Complete Mage) has its applications, but generally Baleful Utterance is better.  If you want to be the face of the party, I must reccommend Beguiling Influence and Call of the Beast.  These two can get you tons of information that would otherwise be far more difficult.

So, for my seven invocations, I would choose:

Baleful Utterance
Spiderwalk (godlike manuverability at low levels, remains handy at higher even though it's generally replaced in functionality by Fell Flight later)
See the Unseen (better than Devil's Sight, no question).
Beguiling Influence (since you want to be the party face)
Call of the Beast (ditto, the more sources you can get, the better)
Entropic Warding
Campaign dependant:

By this last one, I mean it makes a difference on the campaign.  If you'll be around a lot of water, Swimming the Styx is worth it.  If you won't pass low levels, then Summon Swarm is excellent (remember, you have no way of swapping invocations!)  If you do a lot of spying, then All-Seeing Eyes would be a great choice.  If you plan on doing a lot of tracking or being amubshed, I cannot reccommend Sperent's Tongue enough for Scent (also not a bad choice if you find yourself having poison problems)  If you think enough fights will start at long range, then Eldritch Spear is worthwhile.

If you honestly have no idea, then I would reccommend either Eldritch Spear or Dark One's Own Luck.  Extra range or saving throw bonuses never go amiss.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:42:16 AM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Cazador75

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2010, 12:59:40 PM »

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2010, 01:06:56 PM »
I've always been partial to Violate Spell-like Ability, but that's more of a villain feat, because you aren't going to see that enemy again.

But may I suggest Empower Spell-Like Ability? 3/day it multiplies the damage dealt by your Eldritch Blast by 1.5.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Cazador75

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2010, 01:27:06 PM »
But may I suggest Empower Spell-Like Ability? 3/day it multiplies the damage dealt by your Eldritch Blast by 1.5.

That would be a posible choice for the lvl 6 feat (Requires caster lvl 6), but actually I'm selecting the lvl 3 one...

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2010, 01:35:59 PM »
If you must go with an eldritch esscence (I would forget the 1st levels exist entirely because they really suck), go with Sickening Blast.  More penalties and fewer foes are immune.  I cannot stress the suckitude of Frightful Blast enough.

Summon Swarm is an excellent invocation, so long as you stay at lower levels.  If you advance, see if your DM allows retraining before you take it as an invocation.

Most good items for Warlocks are too expensive for you, but I'd pick up a morningstar or a spear.  They're good weapons that you can use when in melee range without risking AoO's.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2010, 02:10:58 PM »

That would be a posible choice for the lvl 6 feat (Requires caster lvl 6), but actually I'm selecting the lvl 3 one...

Whoops, I thought you said 6th.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Cazador75

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2010, 02:16:37 PM »
Ok, it's true that fewer foes are immune to Sickening Blast, but most foes have better Fort ST (in low levels, most foes are melee, so Fort TS are Higher), then Sickening Blast only will be better if your rival is immune to the Frightful one. So the question is more like, harder ST but possible immunity or easier ST but no common immunities... I'm not fully sure about the best choice but I'm going to trust you, after all, is my first Warlock :p

Then it would finish in something like this:

Sickening Blast
Summon Swarm
Baleful Utterance
Spidderwalk
Entropic Warding
See the Unseen
Call of the Beast

And in higher levels I'll replace ("at least") Sickening Blast and Summon Swarm for something better...

Then my last doubt is about the level 3 feat, considering all what you already know about the character, and that I don't have any feat yet, what ones will be the best choices? I just realiced that in level 3 I'm going to be level 6 Warlock (Actually I'm Level 1, Warlock 2, we advance 2 class levels per experience level in this game), and the empower, maximize, etc... feats become possible, so there are more possible options...

Sorry Amechra I didn't realized that before xD, then what you said is possible too.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 02:19:50 PM by Cazador75 »

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »
Sickened also applies a -2 penalty to weapon damage rolls, while Shaken doesn't.  Otherwise, the penalties they inflict are identical.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2010, 02:25:02 PM »
Shaken, not stirred Sickened.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2010, 04:48:19 PM »
And the name's Lock. War Lock.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2010, 05:11:58 PM »
And the name's Lock. War Lock.
I have in fact read an unofficial James Bond novel with a villain called the Warlock. Who used "War" and "Lock" as code words.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Cazador75

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2010, 10:26:15 PM »
Ok, all ready  :lmao, thank you all a lot  :P

And about the feat?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2010, 05:22:05 AM »
Ok, all ready  :lmao, thank you all a lot  :P

And about the feat?
I like Mortalbane a lot, but depending on what other feats you've chosen (and how much free room you have) Point-Blank Shot->Precise Shot is always a good choice if you have at least one meleer in the party.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Cazador75

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2010, 08:18:40 AM »
I like Mortalbane a lot, but depending on what other feats you've chosen (and how much free room you have) Point-Blank Shot->Precise Shot is always a good choice if you have at least one meleer in the party.

I have no other feats, the level 3 feat will be my first one, and actually I'm only working with a paladin, that, yes, could be considered a melee... xD
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:21:34 AM by Cazador75 »

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2010, 08:33:02 AM »

I have no other feats, the level 3 feat will be my first one, and actually I'm only working with a paladin, that, yes, could be considered a melee... xD
Well, have you planned out your feat progression? That's what I meant by free room. If you're just picking up feats on the fly, Point-Blank Shot into Precise Shot is a good pick so you won't take an attack penalty when trying to kill people your buddy is also trying to kill.