Author Topic: Warlock Information Compilation  (Read 163606 times)

Celsius

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Warlock Information Compilation
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 05:05:16 AM »
Actually I think it's rather overrated. Besides, if you turn your eldritch blast into a supernatural ability, you would have to use the inferior ToM supernatural feats in order to metamagick it, which gives less uses per day. I guess it's usage is conditional, and the drawbacks are just too great for my liking..
Dragons. Pffft.

Schrodinger's Cat - The Revolution against the Gods of Dice
Low-Level Handbook - Still under Construction

Thinblade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2008, 01:57:45 AM »
It generally has been considered to not work with invocations and eldritch blast, which is why it's not in the guide. That was actually one of the early debates about the warlock, and it got resolved much better than later debates like whether or not you can use Strongheart Vest to offset hellfire blast.

But thanks for posting, that's how the guide grows.

sombrastewart

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2008, 06:07:33 PM »
Fair enough.  I didn't know that had been shot down.  I used it in a build for my brother's level 18 warlock.  He had all of one metamagic feat (Sudden Still for Flee the Scene) because he was new to 3.5 at the time.  It came in quite handy for him, still hitting enemies that were supposed to thwart the casters.

This was the same guy that transformed a Giant Spider into a duck, but it made the save to keep its abilities, so it was dripping poison from its bill.  Honestly, that's one of the better results I've ever seen from a polymorph.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 03:08:05 AM »
No mention of Urban Savant from Cityscape? Relatively easy prereqs and advances casting 9/10. Quite good for a city based campaign and grants some archivist like abilities in terms of identifying enemy weakness, etc.

Also, prestige bard is an option for Warlocks if they have the correct invocations (something like walk unseen, charm, and see the unseen)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 03:22:03 AM by Surreal »
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Thinblade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 12:55:29 AM »
Cityscape is a book that I own, but I think I've read it maybe twice since buying it, and I completely missed Urban Savant. However, I disagree that it's especially easy entry. It's got the nice bit of not losing the caster level until level 10, but warlocks don't get any of the three required knowledge skills, nor do they get bardic music. Educated would probably be required to make it work, which requires either FR or EB material. Still, it's a good class despite those caveats, so I'll write it up.

I hadn't thought of prestige bard, and there I have less excuse since I do use UA. But the Perform 8 req is going to throw a wrench in any plans. It's late and my brain isn't working, anyone have a better way of getting Perform as a class skill besides the Apprentice feat?

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 01:07:21 AM »
Aereni Focus from Player's Guide to Eberron, requires being an elf though.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 01:12:32 AM »
If the DM allows Dragon, there's a feat called Flexible Mind in issue 326. You'd have to spend a couple points on a cross-class rank, but you get a +1 bonus for your trouble.

Thinblade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 12:43:12 AM »
A whole bunch of updates today, pulling from a variety of sources. I've added two races (hengeyokai and hellbred), a couple of PrC's (blood magus, urban savant, warshaper), and an invocation (humanoid form). I also finally finished the formatting. It turns out that the "list" tag can be used in the same was as the "indent" tag over on 339. If you don't add the "li" tag, the objects don't get the bullets that had been annoying me.

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 07:01:16 AM »
I don't see the Humanoid Shape review you mention...

It's one of my favorites; so if you want a writeup, I can make one at the drop of a hat of disguise.

The only thing I need now is an invocation that allows detect thoughts and I'm a doppelganger.  :flutter
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Thinblade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 11:47:38 AM »
Argh. You're right, I missed it. I was updating 339 and here and the two Word docs that contain the entire formatted handbook, and somehow it didn't get added to one of those four. AND I had several formatting errors. Not my best night.

It's in now, in the invocation section. However, if you want to do a larger write-up of good forms or other tricks, I'd be happy to post it in the Miscellany section. To be honest, I wish I had more "neat stuff you can do with X invocation" than just "Warlock level 1" and "Wall of Gloom."

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 05:05:44 PM »
Well, any race with a swim speed helps immensely in an aquatic setting, and the mountain spirit folk have a climb speed (Spider Walk Invocation can be retrained, except for the web crawling bit). Asabi have a burrow speed, a poison sting on their prehensile tail, and are listed as humanoid in MoF, but apparently have been updated into the monstrous humanoid category in 3.5...*sigh*

I'm trying to find humanoids with an extraordinary special attack so that it can be gained via the Change Shape special ability... Having a little difficulty. (Obviously, I'm looking for something juicy/abusable)
Camlen, Enniwey

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 05:33:46 PM »
The naga in Oriental Adventures, including the Huge(!) Constrictor Naga, are Humanoids. There's a 3.5 update for OA where they're Monstrous Humanoids, but that's in Dragon IIRC, so this might actually fly.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 08:33:01 PM »
Heh. Yeah, but if the compilation is assuming that hengoyokai are updated via Dragon, probably have to assume that Naga are updated via Dragon too...

So far I've only found the forestkith goblins (MMIII) that gets you a puny (ex) attack; Discordant Frenzy. Only works vs. 2HD or less. Save is Cha based though.

edit 1: Mephlings (PH) are Humanoid (extraplanar) creatures that grant small size and some interesting abilities, mostly tied to movement: Air gives 10' fly (perf), Earth gives a 10' burrow speed, and Water grants 30' swim. All 4 types have 30' land move. Too bad breath weapons are (Su) by default.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 08:51:39 PM by Chemus »
Camlen, Enniwey

jha85

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 04:16:07 PM »
I'm currently in a part that don't have any character with trapfinding. I found the invocation "All Seeing Eyes" from complete mage and was wondering if it would be to much/overpowered to alter it slightly to grant Trapfinding and +6 on search, removing the 'Comprehend Languages' and +6 on spot..

Too much for a least Invocation?

If it is,
Lesser:
Trapfinding
+6 Search
+6 Spot
(+6 Listen?)

Don't really wanna use a Lesser invocation :pout

Thinblade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 08:42:19 PM »
I think Trapfinding and +6 on search is fine for a least. After all, an incarnate can have trapfinding at level 4 through a hands chakra bind, and you could get it through a one level dip in thief. There's also Call of the Beast for an example of a least giving a low-level class ability. My opinion is go for it.

Corania

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 09:48:43 PM »
I just ran across a magic item in Dragon that might be very useful to you warlock types and thought I would drop you a line on it:

Dragon Magazine 356, page 70
Might Stone
+2 luck bonus on saves against spells and spell-like abilities
Allows you to give a spell known, power known or invocation to it to gain various bonuses on other spells, powers or invocations used... including some nice ones for the warlock

Corania

Sommunist

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2009, 03:35:32 AM »
I'm sure someone else has pointed this out by now, but if not here it is:

Cheesegrater's chargelock build isn't legal - it's human and has Headlong Rush, which is only available to orcs and half-orcs.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2009, 01:21:59 PM »
Multiple choice question!  Hindering Blast (CM p.124) is:
d) On the list, Binder.  Put some frelling ranks in Spot, for Pun-Pun's sake.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 10:04:07 PM by InnaBinder »
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Korimyr the Rat

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 11:02:05 PM »
Probably right about darkness being mostly useless for a pure Warlock, but combined with devil's sight it makes Warlock 3 a good dip for a Rogue. 2d6 on a touch attack is better than anything else they'll be able to make a ranged sneak attack with on a surprise round, and the darkness means they'll pretty much always be able to sneak attack anything that's susceptible.

Good for reaching the vitals of things too big to skewer with your dagger, too.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2009, 01:00:07 AM »
Combine Darkness invocation with the feats in Drow of the Underdark that require a Darkness spell-like ability for good times.

I mean, if nobody'd noticed that before. Can't see it in the handbook, though.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.