Author Topic: Warlock Information Compilation  (Read 163607 times)

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Warlock Information Compilation
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2010, 12:32:07 AM »
Eldrich Grapple(or whatever) is awesome! I want to make a Gestalt Warlock/Black Blood Cultist(CoR). Full attack natural attacks + Eldirch blast damage on each grapple check is silly.  :lmao

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2010, 07:54:29 PM »
Eldrich Grapple(or whatever) is awesome! I want to make a Gestalt Warlock/Black Blood Cultist(CoR). Full attack natural attacks + Eldirch blast damage on each grapple check is silly.  :lmao
I always pictured it as Ganondorf's Up+B move from Super Smash Bros.

Grappling Blast [General]
While grappling a foe, you can discharge your eldritch blast.
Prerequisite: Improved Grapple, eldritch blast 3d6.
Benefit: Whenever you make a successful grapple check to deal damage, you may also discharge your eldritch blast against the foe you're grappling. You also gain a circumstance bonus on your next grapple check made within the next round equal to half the damage you deal with your eldritch blast. You may not add any blast shape invocations to your eldritch blast when using it in this manner.
http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Grappling_Blast

EDIT: Huh. Combining that with Utterdark Blast could get you a pseudo-succubus. And now I remember where I wanted to use that feat - an FoP or symbiotic build.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 07:58:38 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2010, 08:19:49 PM »
Wow, that's insane.

Warlock/Sentinel of Bharrai: You're a bear who mauls people and makes them explode... and then gets +20 to his next mauling. Repeat.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2010, 08:59:22 PM »
Wow, that's insane.

Warlock/Sentinel of Bharrai: You're a bear who mauls people and makes them explode... and then gets +20 to his next mauling. Repeat.

That's really cool.  I need to remember that.

Daedalus

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2010, 12:22:32 PM »
Complete Mage;

Fey Heritage & Fey Legacy give you Dimension Door, Confusion and Summon Nature's Ally V usable once every day each.  Which means that you can summon 1D3 Unicorns which can cast 3 CLW, 1 CMW & 1 Neutralize Poison each day to assist in healing if needed and still allows you to use the other 2 spells.  Seems useful?

The Fey Skin feat allows stacking with your innate DR.

Fiendish Heritage isn't much to write home about.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2010, 12:25:51 PM »
Fey power gives +1 caster level and save DC's for Warlock invocations & enchantment spells (including the granted spell-like abilities from the other feats in the chain).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2010, 12:26:13 PM »
The fey feats are generally overpriced.

Anyway, perhaps some advice for combining warlocks with psionic abilities would be a good idea.  Given that powers are apparently all SLAs, and all, it seems like there'd be a not-insignificant overlap between feats.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2010, 10:53:33 AM »
I have found the solution to the problems with Eldritch Claws. It's called Beast Strike.

Basically, if you keep your eldritch blast "turned off" your unarmed strikes deal double damage plus your eldritch blast damage. And you can still make secondary attacks with Eldritch Claws.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:05:57 AM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2010, 08:50:24 PM »
Eldrich Grapple(or whatever) is awesome! I want to make a Gestalt Warlock/Black Blood Cultist(CoR). Full attack natural attacks + Eldirch blast damage on each grapple check is silly.  :lmao

Someone on Gleemax (pre-conception, wonder if the thread still exists) did stat him out as a Warlock.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2010, 09:22:16 PM »
Eldrich Grapple(or whatever) is awesome! I want to make a Gestalt Warlock/Black Blood Cultist(CoR). Full attack natural attacks + Eldirch blast damage on each grapple check is silly.  :lmao

Someone on Gleemax (pre-conception, wonder if the thread still exists) did stat him out as a Warlock.
I remember that, also he made nice, flavorful, and non-broken use of craft contingent spell, which is fun to see.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2010, 09:23:52 PM »
I was able to read that post a little while ago; I'll see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872510/Hmm,_kind_of_a_humourous_challenge._:P?post_id=338456954#338456954

That covers his OOT incarnation at least. For something more comprehensive you'd want to gestalt him with Warblade and/or Tome fighter (typically he can jump very high and has an unblockable kick).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:32:21 PM by Prime32 »
My work

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2010, 10:22:38 PM »
I was able to read that post a little while ago; I'll see if I can dig it up.

EDIT: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872510/Hmm,_kind_of_a_humourous_challenge._:P?post_id=338456954#338456954

That covers his OOT incarnation at least. For something more comprehensive you'd want to gestalt him with Warblade and/or Tome fighter (typically he can jump very high and has an unblockable kick).

So it does still exist! Thanks.

Ferret

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2010, 02:43:59 PM »
Any thoughts on how one might write up/balance Ethereal Jaunt as a Greater Invocation?

Also Greater Mage Armor or Greater Luminous Armor?

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #93 on: May 28, 2010, 02:50:28 PM »
Give Etheral Jaunt a short duration and require concentration?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2010, 03:37:30 PM »
Do it like they did in the Binder with the actions while ethereal being restricted. As it would be available at a higher level you might want to make it so standard actions are not allowed by the whole concentration thing. And mage armor would be a fine least invocation as a magic user can have it up all day anyway and it would only be of marginal utility as the warlock can wear a chain shirt.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2010, 03:45:59 PM »
Do it like they did in the Binder with the actions while ethereal being restricted. As it would be available at a higher level you might want to make it so standard actions are not allowed by the whole concentration thing. And mage armor would be a fine least invocation as a magic user can have it up all day anyway and it would only be of marginal utility as the warlock can wear a chain shirt.

Seeing as you have a party, granting a Warlock an ability that an ally can just cast at him and have last all day is pointless. Either give him stuff you'll always want and need to cast repeatedly (Haste) or Personal/Rare Spells (Snowsong / Armor of Darkness).
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Ferret

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #96 on: May 28, 2010, 04:32:41 PM »

Seeing as you have a party, granting a Warlock an ability that an ally can just cast at him and have last all day is pointless. Either give him stuff you'll always want and need to cast repeatedly (Haste) or Personal/Rare Spells (Snowsong / Armor of Darkness).

Well isn't Armor of Darkness a spiffy little spell. Noted for adaption.

Ethereal Jaunt is already pretty limited - I don't believe you can even cast spells/invoke from across the planar boundary, so you're basically just mobile/stealthy.  Giving an Invocations a short duration is kind of wonky, but making it rounds/lvl would keep it from being very useful in combat; perhaps restricting actions to 1 standard action OR 1 move action per round...?

veovius

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2010, 05:18:20 AM »
First post! (I think....)

I'm in the middle of statting up a warlock, with some help from the people here and at GITP....I think he's going to end up like this :

Warlock 8 / Cloistered Cleric 1 / Hellfire Warlock 3 / Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7

And insert random other stuff afterwards.  For example, I suppose I could go into Eldritch Theurge, or maybe somehow cheese myself into Eldritch Disciple, but honestly, I don't think I'll live that long :p  That's for someone else to figure out.

urarenge

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2010, 05:52:37 AM »
Incarnate? For strongheart fun  ;) It´s pretty necessary with hellfire warlock
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 06:04:21 AM by urarenge »

veovius

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2010, 09:33:15 AM »
Oops, forgot to mention that.  Taking the incarnum feat to get the Strongheart Vest.  DM cleared :)