Author Topic: Calculating the attacks of this archer...  (Read 9906 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: Calculating the attacks of this archer...
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 06:19:53 PM »
I can't believe you gave yourself all the necessary information, and then proceeded to not actually do any math to answer your own question.

I mean, what the hell? If you had done the math, and then asked for people to look over it, I would understand a post, but posting to have someone else do the math looks like you either can't, or don't want to, do the work yourself.

As I wrote in the first post, I was very sleepy at the time.  I made a second post about an hour later where I got the formula.  What's the problem?

If you really wanted to kick Ubernoob, you should have done the actual math. Right now he's telling you that you don't understand it because you can't do it.

I DID do it.  Go back and check.

Since you're not doing the math, but claiming that you do understand it, you look pretty foolish. You're comitting a logic failure when you say that you can do something, then don't do it. Likewise when someone says "Pics or it didn't happen" and you say "I don't need pics to prove that it happened", you won't look like you're right. You could be right, but it does not look likely.

So just do the math and let the people reading this thread math-check it. It will nip any more pointless back and forth in the bud.

ALREADY DID THE MATH.  GO LOOK.  I DID IT BEFORE UBER MADE CLAIMS OF IT BEING IMPOSSIBLE.  Here, you want me to quote my earlier post?

(Critical Threat Chance/10)+(Critical Threat Chance * 19/5) = X.  Now, sum X^i for i=1 to infinite.  Multiply that sum by the base number of attacks to yield average number of attacks.  If that sum is infinite, the average is infinite, if it's not, the whole thing can never go infinite, and the project breaks down at X=1 and requires higher math due to the Random Walk issue.  In the old TO post, X was higher than 1, hence the issue.

Or, if you prefer, from my second post in the thread (and note that the edits were made right after the post was put up: 

Okay, if we use the original build, but just use regular Heavy Crossbows instead of Great Crossbows, and thus lower our critical chance to 20%, the magic number we hit is .78.  This isn't perfect, but it's a lot better, yielding roughly 3.5 new attacks per base attack, or 214 attacks and roughly 41 confirmed critical hits.  If we could somehow get a critical on a 16-20, yielding a 25% chance to critical as I originally thought, our magic number would be .975, which is as good as it gets.  So the question is... how can we get a 16-20 critical threat range?  And is it possible while still getting Time Stands Still and Raging Mongoose?  If so, the number of shots would be insanely high without ever going infinite, which is my goal here.

See?  Math already done before Uber's comments about it being incalculable.  That's why I'm getting on his case here.  He failed, and failed HARD, because the math was already done, by me, before hand.  Now he's going off about how smart he is despite the fact that I had already done what he thought was impossible.  Uber's only contribution here was pointing out that 15-20 is a 30% chance.  Everything else was him mouthing off while being completely and totally wrong.

Now, how about you read the thread before commenting too, in the future?

JaronK

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 06:23:12 PM »
You're still failing to ask the right question.  Read my posts again.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 06:34:55 PM »
Yeah, all I see is some college freshman who thinks he knows everything there is to know about math wanking off, and you're still pulling the old ubernoob "I already proved it in the past" nonsense when you never proved anything.  Hey, I did the Calc BC test in high school too, it's not that special.

Once again, I already did all the necessary math... I did it in the second post.  All I need to know is how to get a 16-20 critical threat range on a crossbow of any kind... that is the right question.  I've known the right question from the second post.  If that can't be done, then simply dropping to Heavy Crossbows solves the problem and yields 214 attacks on average with no chance to go infinite.  I've already given the necessary formula if you want to test it.  Go ahead, surely a genius such as yourself can do basic summation and knows about infinity math and statistics?

JaronK

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 06:36:29 PM »
Random walks only apply if you have an equal chance of going both directions.  You don't know what you're talking about.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 07:50:52 PM »
Fail Argument is Fail. :rollseyes

There a point to this bitching?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Surgo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • goes to eleven
    • Dungeons and Dragons Wiki
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 08:51:39 PM »
I'm not really sure what's going on in this argument.

The probability distribution extends infinitely far (obviously) and, more importantly, the probability of any number (either the evens or the odds but not the other, depending on how many original attacks you have) is always nonzero. But I don't think anyone here is actually having problems with the math. I think what everyone is having a problem with is that the definition of "attacks going to infinite" is unclear and never actually defined. Yeah, there clearly is a nonzero probability for any countable number of attacks, minus either the evens or the odds. But your number of attacks isn't decidable by you, and I think that's what people are having problems with.

Looking again, it looks like what Jaron is doing is, um...trying to find the point of highest probability?

(I don't have any idea of what the distribution actually looks like, because I only ever learned two useful ones (Binomial and Poisson) and this one looks recursive (or at the very least non-independent) to me.)

edit: Wait, how can you even calculate your average number of attacks without knowing the AC of your enemy?

edit 2: It occurs to me that I've used the word "average" incorrectly, what I really meant to say was "most likely number of attacks" or "expected value" (which is actually called the mean, go figure), if you will.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 11:25:54 PM by Surgo »
Visit the Dungeons & Dragons Wiki, a place you can find quality content and upload your own homebrew stuff (provided that it's quality).

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 09:26:03 PM »
edit: Wait, how can you even calculate your average number of attacks without knowing the AC of your enemy?
I thought one of Jaron's assumptions was that you can confirm the crit on a 2+.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 10:49:42 PM »
Well now that this playground throwdown is all done, let's check on my suggestion mkay?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a

Look up streetfighter. Assuming you win initiative, you get 17-20 from Keen on your bolts/bow, and you get +1 threat range from Barbarian's new 7th level class feature. Now, you lose 3.5(4) initiator levels, does that or does it not allow you to obtain Time Stands Still, or do you have to do some tricky shit with bloodlines?

Judging Eagle

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2008, 03:17:41 AM »
Truncated

You did verbal math, but didn't show the work. So you've got 200-ish attacks per round, and have an other 60-ish that can keep getting stacked on.

I guess the new question is how much damage is this sequence doing at this point?
Name kept out of inertia. Thirteen years and counting.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2008, 07:03:47 AM »
Random walks only apply if you have an equal chance of going both directions.  You don't know what you're talking about.

Wow, did you just fail even harder?  Amazing.  Go back to the part where I specifically stated that it's a random walk if the average number of attacks generated per attack is 1.  It's almost like I already stated this a long time ago, and do know what I'm talking about.  Interesting.

Here's the quote by the way, a while back:

Quote from: JaronK
(Critical Threat Chance/10)+(Critical Threat Chance * 19/5) = X.  Now, sum X^i for i=1 to infinite.  Multiply that sum by the base number of attacks to yield average number of attacks.  If that sum is infinite, the average is infinite, if it's not, the whole thing can never go infinite, and the project breaks down at X=1 and requires higher math due to the Random Walk issue.  In the old TO post, X was higher than 1, hence the issue.

See?  X=1 is a random walk, and X is the average number of attacks generated.  And here's another:

It most certainly CANNOT go infinite as long as the amount of attacks generated per attack is no higher than 1.  I reviewed this a good bit since last time... at 1 it's a random walk, and CANNOT go infinite.  At less than 1 it doesn't either.  At more than 1 it can, and often will, which is what happened last time.

It's almost like I said it twice already, and like you completely failed to read yet again.  Once again, I know what I'm talking about.  I was just a little sleepy in the first post (which I said!) and made one numerical error.  Everything else is just you failing... HARD.

@Judging:  I gave you the complete formula, do you really need me to spell it out for you?  It still doesn't justify your post of bitching at me for not doing the math when I clearly did, and you just came in here and whined at me without reading past the first post.

But here you go.  The number of attacks generated per attack is equal to the chance of a new attack being generated times the number of attacks generated.  If P is the probability of a non confirmed critical threat and Q is the probability of a confirmed critical threat, and on non confirmed critical threats you get 2 more attacks while on confirmed threats you get 4, and X is the number of attacks generated per attack, then you get this formula:

X = P(2)+Q(4).

Now, assuming we're confirming on a 2+ (which is believable on a build that gets this many critical hits with Blood in the Water, and requires only Dex and Int, and gets Int to confirm critical hits), and we're threatening on a 15-20 as per the first build, P = .3*1/20, and Q = .3*19/20.  This yields an X of 1.17, which goes infinite due to being greater than 1.  Using heavy crossbows instead, we get X=.73, which does not go infinite, which we'll work with for a bit.

Now from here, the expected number of attacks added per base attack is the sum of X^i, where i goes from 1 to infinity.  You can see now why if this goes over 1 you get infinite attacks, and if it's less than 1 you get finite attacks.  This formula has a problem where X=1, but it can then be modeled as a random walk.  Now, to spell out why this is the sum we use, the each individual attack will generate, in the current example, .73 new attacks, so now it has turned into 1.73 attacks. However, the new attack will also generate .73 new attacks, and the chance that two attacks are generated is .73*.73, or .73^2.  And so on.  Got that?

So now you take the initial number of base attacks, multiply it by that sum, and you've got the number of generated attacks.  Now add that back to the base number and you've got the total attacks.  If you prefer, you could have just done the sum from 0 to infinity, and not added the base attacks the second time... you get the same number.

Okay, still with me?  I assume I've shown my work enough, professor Eagle?

Okay, so now that sum is 39 if the X value is .975, which it is when you have a 25% chance to critically hit (16-20 critical threat range).  This means every base attack yields 39 new attacks on average, or a X40 multiplier on the total number of attacks.  Nifty.  And this is where Woodenbandman's contribution becomes quite useful.  Sadly, we lose TSS and Raging Mongoose, but at least we've got Dancing Mongoose, and we get our feats earlier.

Okay, so we'll change the build around, to Feat Rogue 4/Fighter 4/Barbarian 7 (Cityscape and Whirling Frenzy)/Warblade 5, with the same basic feat load out, plus Extra Rage, and we'll use Heavy Crossbows to avoid the whole infinite issue.

Okay, so this gives us a base of 9 attacks (Rapid Shot, Whirling Frenzy, TWF), and Dancing Mongoose makes it 11.  Splitting brings that to 22.  And now the extra attacks kick in, bringing us to 880 shots.  Neat.  On rounds where you don't use Dancing Mongoose, you're sadly lowered to only 720 attacks.  But hey, it's not like you're often getting to a second round of combat with damage like this, right? 

Now, to answer your damage question, that's going to be very tricky.  Your base damage is going to be the damage of your heavy crossbows, which if huge is 3d6 (Permanent Enlarge Person, Strongarm Bracers... note that this adds 50% to the range, and I don't think hitting will be a big issue).  They're enchanted as +5, and assuming a Dex of 30 (at level 20) we've got another +5 due to Crossbow Sniper.  So your base damage here is 3d6+10 per shot, with 880 shots, which if hitting on a 2+ (VERY likely when Blood in the Water is kicking in) is 836 hits for a base of 17138 damage, not counting criticals.  This alone of course is enough to wipe out nearly any encounter.

Now, here's the tough part.  You're going to, on average, confirm about 209 critical hits, meaning by the end you're getting +209 to hit and damage with every shot (you can see why I'm talking about hitting on a 2+).  The exact damage is hard to do, but let's say for the sake of arguement that we critically threaten every fourth shot, starting with the third shot (which is pretty reasonable when we have a 25% chance to critically hit).  If we fail to confirm every 20th critical threat, starting at the 11th critical threat, then that's roughly average behavior, right? 

And at this point it's 2am, so I'll work out the rest in the morning, but suffice to say this build is just about the best non infinite archer you can possibly get... thanks to Woodenbandman for his very useful contribution.  I'm not sure we can still get to TSS even with Bloodline abuse due to need for feats, but I'll consider that later.  Still, we're well past the point of "Everything's dead!" so that's good, and if the DM throws another encounter at you while you're still charged up, that's awesome.

JaronK

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2008, 07:38:29 AM »
And by the way, due to the way the Barbarian substitution works, this 880 attacks number only works against flat footed foes.  Annoying, but there it is.  At least as a very long range archer flat footedness is quite possible.

EDIT:  Adding this to avoid triple posting.  In a major facepalm moment (hey, it's nearly 3am here, and I'm working late shifts!) I realized that if by the end you've got +209 to damage, and the critical hits are reasonably evenly spaced, then you're looking at on average about +104.5 extra damage per hit with the full attack routine.  Now, I'm sure there's other ways to increase the damage per hit, but just with a pair of +5 Huge Heavy Crossbows (Aptitude and Splitting, of course) we're looking at 836 hits, each doing 125 damage on average, plus an additional effective 209 critical hits which each add on average 125 extra damage, so a grand total of 130,625 damage on the full attack.  Not bad, and easily increased, if nothing else then by adding a few enchantments to those crossbows (heck, flaming alone would add 2926 damage).

JaronK
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 07:48:27 AM by JaronK »

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2008, 10:27:14 AM »
Okay, so this gives us a base of 9 attacks (Rapid Shot, Whirling Frenzy, TWF), and Dancing Mongoose makes it 11.  Splitting brings that to 22.  And now the extra attacks kick in, bringing us to 880 shots.

So, a far shot from the record for full round or single action, and not as granted attacks, just as averages.

Of course, if you worked this kind of stacking onto something with a large enough pool of granted attacks (say, 1 million plus? ;)), then your average per round would well surpass the current round record of 120 million.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2008, 02:20:19 PM »
Combine it with that build that turns you into a megapede with 1,062, xxx attacks in a full round action. If you could get that many aptitude splitting huge great crossbows, you'd be gold.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2008, 02:40:36 PM »
Wish farming FTW?

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2008, 03:49:01 PM »
Stuff
Stop trolling and straw manning, please.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2008, 04:19:19 PM »
Ubernoob:  Just keep digging.  Once again, you don't know what a strawman is, and you're the one who came in and trolled my thread. 

Eco:  I thought that was the melee record, not shooting?

But yes, from here we just need to figure out how to get more base attacks.  Bloodlines do have potencial to at least double the shots... something like Human Feat Rogue 2/UA Samurai 2/Fighter 2/Ranger 2/Barbarian 7/Warblade 2 with a Major Bloodline, for example.  That gives us an initiator level of 20, enough for TSS and Raging Mongoose (good thinking again, Wood).

Okay, so that gives us, when in Whirling Frenzy and using both Raging Mongoose and TSS, 52 base attacks before the extra attacks, for a total of 2080 attacks.  Getting better.  What's this milipede thing though, and does it let you wield multiple crossbows?

JaronK

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2008, 04:23:54 PM »
Not sure what the milipede thing is, but with Gloves of Man (Savage Species) you'll definitely be able to wield the crossbows :)

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2008, 04:27:26 PM »
That gets us there if the milipede thing works, but I don't know what the milipede thing is either.

JaronK

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2008, 04:36:02 PM »
Ubernoob:  Just keep digging.  Once again, you don't know what a strawman is, and you're the one who came in and trolled my thread. 
Considering the only math you're getting right is because I explained this to you months ago and have forced you to change your premises several times in order to work to your specs?  Yeah, you're a retard.

Knowledge is power, my child.  Attain it and some day your mind will be fit to actually converse with mine.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 04:39:02 PM by Ubernoob »

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2008, 04:48:29 PM »
Considering the only math you're getting right is because I explained this to you months ago and have forced you to change your premises several times in order to work to your specs?  Yeah, you're a retard.

Not only did you not explain this math, this math is what you called "incalculable" in this very thread... AFTER I did it.  In other words, you don't know it.  All you did was point out the silly mistake that 15-20 is 30%.  That's it.  Everything else was a bunch of worthlessness, and you still don't understand how it all works since you still think there's a chance of hitting infinity.  I mean seriously, you were still going off about how I didn't know when a random walk applies after I'd already repeatedly stated random walks were at X=1!  Reading comprehension failure.

Not only that, but you still don't understand the difference between mean and median behavior as X passes 1.  Median behavior is actually far more useful for this purpose... in fact, the reason I was having trouble in the beginning was it was late at night and I was trying to model the median behavior of the build, since I knew that was more relevant.  Later that night I decided most people wanted to see mean anyway, despite the fact that that's less useful and it breaks down at X>=1.

For the record, that first build does have a higher median behavior, which is non infinite.  It is, however, very hard to calculate.  You'd have to find the chances of the series terminating before a given point, and find when that chance hits 50%... summation gives a false result due to the miniscule chance of going infinite (and it IS miniscule... at X=1, it's literally infinitely small) and the fact that the summation, which is easier to do, returns a mean value.  Also note that in most builds, the mean damage and median damage are very similar, and most people actually talk about the median since they often ignore critical hit damage.

Short version: you're a troll, and not a very smart one either.  And I'm still cracking up about how you put this thread in the Den fail thread and were told to apologize to me there because it was you who had failed.  Not to mention getting Eagle to board the fail bus and come over here and look like an absolute fool.  While you're back there licking your wounds, tell Frank that if he wants to debate me he should do it here or shut up, because in his own words, debating someone in a forum they don't use means you're an idiot.  Lord knows he's saying stupid stuff over there (like not getting how Roundabout Kick is used in this build, when it's explained in the OP).  By the way, he's right about the series terminating even in the original build (which is the opposite of your claim).  It will do so in the median behavior, and the vast majority of the time.  There is however a non 0 chance of it becoming infinite, however small, which is why the summation result returns an infinite mean.  That will be the case any time X>0.

JaronK