Author Topic: [3.5e] The 1000000th Warmage fix.  (Read 5496 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
[3.5e] The 1000000th Warmage fix.
« on: December 02, 2008, 06:12:34 AM »
The Warmage is probably the most liked class that has also been stuck with the short end of the staff of power, and I swear there must be at least 999999 proposed fixes to it out there, but I think I have some interesting stuff to do with the class.

At this moment, I'm not going to do a lot of mucking with the spell list.  While it's certainly a poor list, it kinda has to be (by CO terms at least) to fit with the theme of the class.  At best, I'd probably only add a few spells from the Spell Compendium to the list.

----------

The Warmage-

Alignment- Any
Hit Die- d8
Skill Points- 2+Int modifier, 4x this amount at first level.
Class Skills-
Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge [arcana] (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int)
BAB- 1/2 level
Good Saves- Will

Class Abilities-

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies- A warmage is proficient with all simple weapons as well as light armor, light shields, and bucklers.

Spells- A warmage casts spells from the warmage spell list.  He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time.  When a warmage gains access to a new level of spells, he automatically knows all spells for that level on the warmage spell list.  Essentially, his spells known list is the same as his spell list.  Warmages also have the ability to expand their spell list with the Advanced Learning class ability below.
To cast a spell, a warmage must have a Charisma of 10 + the spell's level.  The difficulty class for a saving throw against a warmage's spell is 10 + the spell's level + the warmage's Charisma modifier.  Like other spellcasters, a warmage can only cast a certain number of spells per day.  His base daily spell allotment is given on Table 1-1: The Warmage (see page 11 of Complete Arcane).  In addition, he receives bonus spells for a high Charisma score.

Armored Mage- Normally armor of any type interferes with the gestures required for arcane spellcasting.  However, through long training in armor, warmages are able to cast spells normally while employing it.  At first level, a warmage ignores the arcane spell failure chance of any light armor, light shield, or buckler he wears or carries.  This training does not extend to medium armor, heavy armor, heavy shields, or tower shields, nor does it apply to spells cast from another class' ability.

Warmage Edge- Because of the specialized nature of warmage training, a warmage is able to deal extra damage with their spells.  Whenever a warmage casts a spell or uses a reserve feat that deals hit point damage, he adds his Intelligence bonus (if any) to the damage dealt.  This damage applies once per spell cast per creature targeted per round.
For instance, if an 8th-level warmage with 17 intelligence cast magic missile, directing two bolts at each of two creatures, they would each take 2d4+5 damage.  If the same warmage cast acid arrow at a single creature, that creature would take 2d4+3 damage on the initial hit as well as 2d4+3 more damage on his turn for the next two rounds.  Finally, if the warmage cast one of the above spells and then cast a quickened lesser sonic orb during the same round, the lesser sonic orb would deal 4d6+3 damage regardless of which creature it targeted.
This training does not extend to spells that deal damage indirectly (such as summon monster spells) or to spells cast from another class' ability.

Advanced Learning- Over the course of their careers, warmages develop affinities for different sorts of spellcasting in much the same way warriors develop affinities for different sorts of weapons.  As a reflection of this, at 3rd level and every odd-numbered level thereafter (5th, 7th, etc.) a warmage can add one spell from the Wizard spell list to his own.  The spell must be of a level the warmage is capable of casting at the time he takes this ability.  If the spell is not of the Evocation school and is not a Conjuration spell that deals damage, it must instead be one level lower than the highest level the warmage can cast and is added to the warmage's spell list as one level higher than it's wizard level.

Bonus Feat- At 6th level, the warmage gains a bonus feat.  This feat can be any metamagic feat or reserve feat that the warmage qualifies for.  The warmage gains additional bonus feats at 12th and 18th levels.

Sudden Metamagic- After years of experience, talented warmages are able to cast spells of such destructive power that even proper wizards yield to their focused expertise.  Starting at 8th level the warmage gains a secondary pool of magical power with a number of points equal to one-half his warmage level + his Intelligence modifier.  As a free action once during his turn, a warmage can apply a metamagic feat to the next damaging spell he casts without adjusting the spell's level or casting time (unless explicitly done so by the metamagic feat in question).  When he does this, a number of points equal to the level adjustment of the metamagic feat are deducted from his Sudden Metamagic pool and the next spell he casts before the end of his turn receives the full benefit of the metamagic feat without an adjustment in spell level.
This ability's benefits do not extend to non-damaging spells or to spells cast from another class' ability.

Master War-Wizardry- As with any other arcane spellcaster, warmages constantly strive for a greater mastery and knowledge of their own art.  At 11th, 14th, 17th, and 20th levels, a warmage picks one of the below abilities.  They can all be selected multiple times, but do not stack.  They will apply to other facets of a given mastery.
War-Wizard Alacrity- When you take this ability, pick one reserve feat you possess.  If you cast a spell that benefits from the reserve feat's Caster Level improvement, you can activate that reserve feat as a swift action (or a free action if it normally takes a swift action to activate).
War-Wizard Destruction- When you take this ability, pick one energy type (acid, cold, fire, electricity, sonic) or none at all.  When you cast a damaging warmage spell or use a reserve feat that deals damage of the chosen energy type, it deals 2 additional damage per die of damage dealt.  If you selected no energy type, damaging spells that do not deal energy damage deal 2 additional damage per die of damage dealt.  This extra damage is not influenced by metamagic feats.
War-Wizard Metamagic- When you take this ability, pick one metamagic feat you possess.  If you alter a warmage spell with the selected metamagic feat (including via the Sudden Metamagic ability above), it's level adjustment is treated as being 1 lower.  This ability cannot reduce the adjustment of the metamagic feat to 0 or lower.
War-Wizard Zeal- When you take this ability, pick one energy type (acid, cold, fire, electricity, sonic) or none at all.  When you cast a damaging warmage spell or use a reserve feat that deals energy damage of the chosen energy type, it bypasses one-half of the creature's resistance to that energy type.  If you picked no energy type, spells that do not deal energy damage bypass all of a creature's damage reduction or miscellaneous applicable resistances.  This ability does not affect immunities to damage.

Endless Destruction- Years of warfare have hardened the Warmage into a finely-tuned weapon, capable of fighting under even the most powerful duress.  Once per day as a free action, the warmage can draw upon his deepest vestiges of power.  For a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier, the warmage can cast warmage spells without expending spell slots, although they must still be of a level the Warmage is capable of casting.  In addition, the warmage can use his Sudden Metamagic ability even if he doesn't have enough points left in his Sudden Metamagic pool for a given metamagic feat.  After Endless Destruction expires, the warmage becomes exhausted and loses all spellcasting ability for as long as he remains exhausted.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Re: [3.5e] The 1000000th Warmage fix.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 06:35:33 PM »
No reason to tinker with the warmage, it's by far the most powerful class ever. If anything, you need to nerf it.

by warmage I mean rainbow servant.

However... this does make blastery a more viable option, and I would be interested in playing one for scientific reasons. There's something just so purely fun about shearing heads off with the MAGIC BULLET. Oh and don't forget: The cantrip deals 1d3+7

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
  • Magmar, the ultimate butthead
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 10:29:59 PM »
Warmage = Sorceror or Wizard with Evocation/Conjuration/Transmutation, and the latter aren't limited in versatility either.

The default Warmage HD is little to no benefit when compared to spell selection.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 05:58:26 AM »
by warmage I mean rainbow servant.
That breaks the Beguiler or Dread Necromancer more than it breaks the Warmage, by simple virtue that those two have better spells of their own.

That said, whether Rainbow Servant is 6/10 or 10/10 is only settled from a RAW standpoint, and is in fact very broken once you hit level 18.  On the other hand the vast majority of DMs play it 6/10, which is tier 2 at best.  Personally, I just plain don't like the class because it's abilities change depending on what language you read.  Because of those disparities, I chose to simply leave it out of the equation.  It just plain needs rulings/fixes/tinkering on it's own before I consider it anything other than post-pooch-screwing fluids of indeterminate origin.

Beyond all of that, when I posted this it was really to make it more kosher with some ideas for more feats I had bouncing around my head, most of them Reserve and Tactical.  I'll post them later, but right now it's late.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 09:22:37 AM »
Endless Destruction- Years of warfare have hardened the Warmage into a finely-tuned weapon, capable of fighting under even the most powerful duress.  Once per day as a free action, the warmage can draw upon his deepest vestiges of power. 

I thought that was what binders did  ???
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Psychic Robot

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 03:41:18 PM »
Warmage Edge is still poop.  Make it Int mod + 1/2 level.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 05:06:14 PM »
Warmage Edge is still poop.  Make it Int mod + 1/2 level.

Or Int Score+nothing.

[spoiler][/spoiler]