Author Topic: A Dirty World: Anyone Tried This One?  (Read 1609 times)

MaskedBrute

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Two-Gun Justice
    • Email
A Dirty World: Anyone Tried This One?
« on: December 01, 2008, 11:17:27 PM »
Apparently Greg Stolze, the man behind the majority of the One Roll Engine (and, notably, two of its most well-known applications; Godlike and Reign), came out with a new game at GenCon that I heard absolutely nothing about until a day ago.

My impression is that it's the One Roll Engine stripped down to the core mechanic and built back up around personal relationships and noir storytelling.

I've ordered myself a copy of the print version, mostly so I don't distract myself during finals, and can't check it out yet but thought it might be right up the alley of some of the folks around here.

Here's a link to a short piece Stolze wrote about his approach with it and some hints at the differences in focus: http://www.flamesrising.com/greg-stolze-a-dirty-world/

Here's a small review someone did on RPG.net that gives a bit more detail: http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/13/13963.phtml
-AKA: Mike
//-Running: Never Enough Knives (Hiatus)
//-Projects: Majestas Universitas, The Devil's Right Hand, Space & Steel Revision

Cam_Banks

• Curious George
    • Margaret Weis Productions
    • Email
Re: A Dirty World: Anyone Tried This One?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 02:29:10 AM »
This is an excellent game that I am looking forward to running soon. One of the reasons I am so fond of it is that it's able to express in very simple ways a set of noir sensibilities that would be very hard to get across using a generic system. I'm thinking of using it to run a superhero game, focusing more on the dark and disturbing emotional rollercoaster of Watchmen and Dark Knight. Should be fun.

In general, I like Greg's games. REIGN is very good, although I don't care much for the setting that comes with it.

Cheers,
Cam
Managing Editor & Community Manager | Margaret Weis Productions

Wordman

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Asteroid
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 03:05:04 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:01:23 AM by Wordman »
Ctrl ]

Cam_Banks

• Curious George
    • Margaret Weis Productions
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 03:11:57 PM »
It's definitely useful outside of the noir genre. One use for it that I'm hoping to follow through with in the next couple of months is to run a LOST-style game where the focus is more on the emotional, social, and mental drives of the characters and less on standard game stats. If you've a chance, pick up Monsters and Other Childish Things and the supplement Dreadful Secrets of Candlewick Manor, which introduce really nifty mechanics for Relationships and for flashback-like effects. My LOST game would have players create characters with no backstory whatsoever, just a description and basic profession ("I'm Jack, a surgeon, and I am wearing a suit and tie"). The rest unfolds with play.

Cheers,
Cam
Managing Editor & Community Manager | Margaret Weis Productions