Author Topic: barbarian temporary hp question  (Read 1947 times)

brokenoakleys

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
barbarian temporary hp question
« on: November 30, 2008, 09:33:43 PM »
I have a question about the barbarian's temporary hit points gained from the recuperating strike at will power.

If a barbarian is raging and uses his recuperating strike, he gets his con bonus + 5 temporary HP. 

Pg. 294 of the PHB says temp hp DON'T stack if they come from different sources.

But let's say a raging barbarian hits the same target two rounds in a row with recuperating strike.

He's using the same power source each time: recuperating strike.  Also, the 'source' of the hp is the same target. 

Does that mean the hp should stack?  Seems like a bit too much power, but the player running a barbarian in my campaign pointed out he would have died many times over but for the stacking (he's been bloodied and close to zero almost every combat).

Part of the problem seems to be that 'source' is not defined on p. 294 of the PHB.  Does source mean power, or target, or both?  At the moment I'm reading it broadly, meaning 'source' encompasses both power and target.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. 

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: barbarian temporary hp question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 09:58:24 AM »
IMO temp HP never stacks, unless it specifically says it does.

E.g.: Battlerage Vigor class feature for the Fighter in Martial Power.
Quote from: Martial Power p6
When you gain temporary hit points by hitting with an attack that has the invigorating keyword, those temporary hit points stack with any other temporary hit points you already have.
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!