Author Topic: Solo Games?  (Read 2962 times)

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
Solo Games?
« on: November 29, 2008, 07:19:49 PM »
I have been finding that a lot of PbP die, and it saddens me on the inside. I think that it becomes too much of a hassle to wait for posts from a large group, and then disinterest sets in. Would solo games help to solve this? I saw, was it Mister_Sinister?, that had a few going on, and those seemed to go really well. Would anyone else be willing to run a few? Would anyone be interested?
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
Re: Solo Games?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 01:23:15 AM »
I'd certainly be interested in playing. I'm less sure about running, but we'll see how demand is first.

As far as working goes, if you can get a largely self-sufficient character, then it should speed up the game a lot. Also, it allows people to do a bit more of what they want with characters, as you don't have a "rest of the party" to outshine.
I know gameology-fu.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 06:07:17 AM »
I'd love to try one out.  I've often toyed with the idea, in fact, of playing the villian of a PC game.  Instead of just being straight PvP, the idea would be that the party would do their thing and I'd do mine, and as I started abusing the world too much (killing towns for corpses to animate, stealing big treasures) we might start to interact.

Or even just running about being crazy and having a good time.  It would certainly require powerful characters... Gestalt would be quite wise.

JaronK

katans

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • All hail the Cheese!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 06:16:27 AM »
I'm always in for solo games (DMing is off, as I don't have that much time at the moment). I've been in a few before, and the characters that work best really are those who can survive all by themselves and are jack-of-all-trades in a way or another. Then must be able to fight and/or have knowledge of spellcasting, must be able to survive by themselves, deal with traps, hide, sense, and talk nice to people. Solo is the kind of game where support classes (bard, ranger, warlock, monk-ish, dragon shaman, marshall...) really can shine (because there's nobody to outshine them, OK, granted). Anyway, I'd suggest either high-powered chars (a bit more than a 28 point-buy...) or gestalt.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 01:41:56 PM »
Gestalt druid/factotum then? :D
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 03:31:34 PM »
I'd love to play as well, but my resources are too stretched to DM one.

Handy Links

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 03:37:27 PM »
I've done the solo thing with an Arcane Trickster; it actually worked pretty well.  As logn as I wasn't caught totally unawares, I was alright.

I'd be game for one :)
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 03:42:09 PM »
I've done the solo thing with an Arcane Trickster; it actually worked pretty well.  As logn as I wasn't caught totally unawares, I was alright.

I'd be game for one :)
Rogue multiclasses are always good for solos, hide from anything you can't beat, and sneaking away works way better without someone in plate going clank. Being able to deal with traps is a plus.

Might be interesting to see a solo 'Destroy Civilisation As We Know It' druid in action.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 06:18:51 PM »
Gestalt would definitely be a plus. Archivist/Warblade?

Like so many others, not enough time to DM one, but interested in playing.
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 07:15:20 PM »
Something crazy like Dread Necromancer 20//Binder 1/Archivist 3/Anima Mage 10/Tainted Scholar 1/Tenebrous Apostate 5 would be great for a game like this (if Anima Mage was allowed).  You could run around trying to take over the world, raising minions and causing chaos... and with just you, it might actually be fun instead of stupidly overpowered.

JaronK

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 07:43:15 AM »
I have been finding that a lot of PbP die, and it saddens me on the inside. I think that it becomes too much of a hassle to wait for posts from a large group, and then disinterest sets in. Would solo games help to solve this? I saw, was it Mister_Sinister?, that had a few going on, and those seemed to go really well. Would anyone else be willing to run a few? Would anyone be interested?
I agree I noticed that the other "no magic campaign" disappeared. Me. Sad.
So I'm only in 1 pvp.  Its crazy.
You know maybe a 2 man party would be just as good. That way its reasonable that the wait time is reduced + you and the dM don't exclusively bear the burden of sory telling yourself. Lastly the more people to share the story the better. Too many and the story stops too... its a balancing act it looks like...
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Bell

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • The Goddamn Batman
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 05:29:20 PM »
If we're talking Gestalt, I'd say Druid//Cleric would be pretty ridiculous.  Forget CoDzilla, he'd be CaDzilla.  That's a dude I wouldn't want to mess with, but would make for great solo play since he wouldn't be stomping all over everyone else.  Or you could do Wizard//Archivist or Wizard//Artificer, and have a similar "good thing I'm the only player" kind of feel.

And to answer the original post, The idea of a solo PbP sounds like fun, but I wouldn't have time to DM one either.

Thought: Wizard//Rogue would be pretty cool too. Or Rogue//Warblade.  Wow.  Now I just want to play a Gestalt game.

katans

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • All hail the Cheese!
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 11:58:08 AM »
Yeah, Wizard//Psion has that kind of fluff as well...

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 12:14:05 PM »
Druid//paladin of slaughter/monk/hexblade, with Ascetic Mage, Devoted Tracker, the variant which trades detect evil good for Inspire Courage, and that feat from Rich Burlew that makes your druid casting Cha-based.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:16:48 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 04:45:07 PM »
Factotum//Binder. Which two people will I be today?

Although I wouldn't play that, to be honest. Warblade//Archivist/Sacred Exorcist, though, I'd play.
I know gameology-fu.

bayar

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 07:15:30 PM »
If we're talking Gestalt, I'd say Druid//Cleric would be pretty ridiculous.  Forget CoDzilla, he'd be CaDzilla.   That's a dude I wouldn't want to mess with, but would make for great solo play since he wouldn't be stomping all over everyone else.  Or you could do Wizard//Archivist or Wizard//Artificer, and have a similar "good thing I'm the only player" kind of feel.

And to answer the original post, The idea of a solo PbP sounds like fun, but I wouldn't have time to DM one either.

Thought: Wizard//Rogue would be pretty cool too. Or Rogue//Warblade.  Wow.  Now I just want to play a Gestalt game.

he'd be CaDzilla.

CaDzilla. [/size]

B^U

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 07:40:27 AM »
"Solo Games?"

Yes, I do.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 07:45:01 AM »
I as well!