Author Topic: Tips for a party ready to take on the World's Largest Dungeon (No spoilers!)  (Read 10996 times)

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
Its a unnamed bonus, BUT its chosen for two weapon types (shrug).  I leave it up to the DM; I think its reasonable that they should stack.  RAW, I'm not sure.  Anyone?

I saw someone else over at 339 WotC posting something like that....

And +1 for dungeoncrasher...

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Its a unnamed bonus, BUT its chosen for two weapon types (shrug).  I leave it up to the DM; I think its reasonable that they should stack.  RAW, I'm not sure.  Anyone?

I leave it as an exercise to the builder to check the errata as part of searching for the answer to a rules question.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email

I leave it as an exercise to the builder to check the errata as part of searching for the answer to a rules question.
It doesn't really matter one way or another; I would want both Crushing Blow and Driving Attack in the build.  Diversity.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
It doesn't really matter one way or another; I would want both Crushing Blow and Driving Attack in the build.  Diversity.

Fair enough. The only thing expressly forbidden is double-dipping attack/damage bonus from MWMs, which I personally think is silly. But my own thoughts on the matter can't change the errata.

So you're designing a whack-a-mole character?

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
I think the FAQ or sage said they would not stack. Personally, I would allow it. I'm generally in favour of things that help the melee types, and this is one of those things where you have to ask yourself "does it really affect the game that much?" It's yet more feat investment and a narrow weapon focus. As a DM I would say "sure, go for it" and even give some nice P/B weapons out. It's not like he's stacking on 3xCha to damage or anything.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Dweomerkeeper is especially handy since it negates costly components.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
I think the FAQ or sage said they would not stack. Personally, I would allow it. I'm generally in favour of things that help the melee types, and this is one of those things where you have to ask yourself "does it really affect the game that much?" It's yet more feat investment and a narrow weapon focus. As a DM I would say "sure, go for it" and even give some nice P/B weapons out. It's not like he's stacking on 3xCha to damage or anything.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
So you're designing a whack-a-mole character?
You know, I've never played a fighter for more than a few sessions, but I've seen the Trip-style fighter played to death, and tons of charging/shocktrooper/ikillallisee guys.  This is my own take on a slightly different kind of battlefield control than standard.

In the top-tier:
There's sword n board fighters, who have a bit of average offense and defense.
There's charging style fighters, who have great offense and not much defense.
There's tripping fighters (damage output tends to be low).

on the weaker side:
There's grappling fighters (who get pretty hosed when Freedom of Movement becomes generally available, or when dealing w/ really large dudes).
There's TWF fighters (who never seem to hit anything w/o some form of touch attack melee going on).

I haven't really seen a bull-rush or overrun style fighter that was truly as formidable as the top three; I'm up for the challenge :).  Dungeon Crasher did change things for fighters a bit in 3.5, though.  By fighters, I don't necessarily mean straight fighter.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Wait, did you just rank sword and board fighters with trippers and chargers?

...really?

I mean, yeah, I can personally make sword and boarders that can compete, but that's DAMN hard.

JaronK

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Wait, did you just rank sword and board fighters with trippers and chargers?

...really?

I mean, yeah, I can personally make sword and boarders that can compete, but that's DAMN hard.

JaronK

+1. The floating shield enchantment and the bonuses from doublehanding with PA makes S&B a weaker option. But quick lets move off this before Ael in one of his many incarnations comes to defend this with Sunic in pursuit. It's ugly.

So your trying for a pinball-flipper type fighter JWO?
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Yeah, I've been thinking about one of these builds for my first dedicated melee build that I actually play.  I know there's other options, too.

P.S. A sword and board fighter doesn't suck.  TWF and Grapplers almost always suck relative to the others in actual play.  Trippers and alpha-strike builds are relatively awesome in actual play.  You guys are too literal!  Gimme a break!  I haven't been on the boards in months and am just now starting to play again!  ok, enough whining on my part; much love!

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
P.S. A sword and board fighter doesn't suck.  TWF and Grapplers almost always suck relative to the others in actual play.

TWF is as strong as sword and board, if not significantly stronger.  Sword and board is usually weak because people don't know how to make them right (read: with Shield Slam/Shield Charge is the right answer), but that's the same reason TWF sucks (read:  Get thee to a Blood in the Water).  They're in the same boat, except that I've found more people figure out how to make TWF work than Sword on Board.

Trippers and alpha-strike builds are relatively awesome in actual play.  You guys are too literal!  Gimme a break!  I haven't been on the boards in months and am just now starting to play again!  ok, enough whining on my part; much love!

No breaks!  All wrong statements must be smote, preferably with stupid pictures are insults!  You smell like poo!

JaronK

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
But I just showered!  Doh...

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
*casts Protection from Energy: Flames on jameswilliamogle*

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Welcome back, JWO :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol