Author Topic: The Blackguard, what should he be?  (Read 3801 times)

Zachariah

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
The Blackguard, what should he be?
« on: November 21, 2008, 08:50:55 PM »
Lately I have been wanting to make a base class Blackguard (anti-paladin) for an upcoming evil campaign, using the evil paladin variants in UA as a base. But as I started, I realized that I didnt even have a clear view of what the blackguard should be... So far, what I got, is that he is a powerful warrior blessed by greater evil(s), with a greed for power. Wanting to obtain it at almost any cost. Using evil/dark magic to enhance himself and debuff his enemies.

I was just interested in what other people think about what the blackguard is and what he should be able to do.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: The Blackguard, what should he be?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 11:52:46 PM »
I was just interested in what other people think about what the blackguard is and what he should be able to do.

Some combination of Hexblade/Warlock/UA Evil Paladin is pretty much my idea of how it should work. Since all of those classes are pretty underpowered you can kinda go crazy.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 01:17:22 PM »
Evil Crusader/Evil Favored Soul/Evil Cleric :D

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 02:31:46 PM »
THEY'RE THE ANTI-FLAG!

Try cross-referencing some Hexblade and Paladin fixes. Those should give you an idea of what to do. Also, giving them Duskblade-esque casting is a good idea.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Zachariah

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 06:03:37 PM »
Thanks guys, for the imput.

Try cross-referencing some Hexblade and Paladin fixes. Those should give you an idea of what to do. Also, giving them Duskblade-esque casting is a good idea.

Yeah, I just finished the spell list. Used level 1 to 4 spells though. I did move some spells down a level and added some higher level spells like Blasphemy, ray of entropy and alike. But after having looked up the duskblade I think that might even be better suited, with spells per day lowered a bit.
I dont think its a good idea to use both spells and invocations (refering to crossing it with the hexblade), and I feel that divine spell casting matches the blackguard better. Maybe some Dark Blessing system.. hmmz have to think about it some more.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 06:41:25 PM by Zachariah »

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 02:43:20 AM »
Thanks guys, for the imput.

Yeah, I just finished the spell list. Used level 1 to 4 spells though. I did move some spells down a level and added some higher level spells like Blasphemy, ray of entropy and alike. But after having looked up the duskblade I think that might even be better suited, with spells per day lowered a bit.
I dont think its a good idea to use both spells and invocations (refering to crossing it with the hexblade), and I feel that divine spell casting matches the blackguard better. Maybe some Dark Blessing system.. hmmz have to think about it some more.

Depending on how (or which) invocations are given, it would be rather interesting. If you've seen my Hexblade fix before the boards updated, then something along those lines would help you out. I'll be re-uploading the class in a while.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 02:59:16 AM »
You can always make Divine Invocations, no reason you can't.

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 06:45:27 AM »
I just whipped this up real fast. Some stuff might not make much sense - it's 4:30am, don't worry about it.

The Blackguard

HD: d10

Saves: Good Fort/Will, Poor Ref

LV  Base Atk Bonus    Class Features
1.   +1               Evil Eye, Cursed Smite 1/encounter, Poison Use
2.   +2               Least Invocation (1), Fearless
3.   +3               Blasphemous Defiance
4.   +4               Aura of Despair
5.   +5               Least Invocation (2)
6.   +6/+1            Improved Curse
7.   +7/+2            Cursed Smite 2/encounter
8.   +8/+3            Lesser Invocation (1)
9.   +9/+4            Aura of Pain
10.  +10/+5           Mettle
11.  +11/+6/+1        Lesser Invocation (2)
12.  +12/+7/+2        Greater Curse
13.  +13/+8/+3        Cursed Smite 3/encounter
14.  +14/+9/+4        Greater Invocation (1)
15.  +15/+10/+5       Aura of Unluck
16.  +16/+11/+6/+1    Heart of Darkness
17.  +17/+12/+7/+2    Greater Invocation (2)
18.  +18/+13/+8/+3    Dark Curse
19.  +19/+14/+9/+4    Cursed Smite 4/encounter
20.  +20/+15/+10/+5   Dark Invocation (1), Aura of Disaster

Class Skills (4+Int): Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcane, Religion), Move Silently, Spellcraft, Swim, Use Magic Device

Proficiencies: All simple and martial weapons, all light and medium armors, light shields.

Evil Eye: As long as a Blackguard holds nothing in his off-hand he can detect good as a Paladin detects evil, and can use Detect Magic at-will as a spell-like ability, although he only learns the presence of magical effects originating from an Evil source, or with the [Evil] descriptor. While a Blackguard manifests his Evil Eye he has an Evil aura as a Paladin has a good aura.

Cursed Smite: Once per encounter a Blackguard can make a Cursed Smite attack against a foe gaining a bonus to the attack roll equal to his Charisma modifier and bestowing a -2 penalty to the struck foe's attack rolls, damage rolls, skill checks, and ability checks if the attack hits. The foe can make a Will saving throw to remove this penalty at the end of each of it's turns DC 10 + 1/2 Blackguard level + Blackguard's Charisma modifier +1/round effected. Further, any damage dealt to the effected creature (including damage dealt by the Smite itself) can't be healed by any means until the victim makes it's saving throw against the penalty. A Blackguard can make an additional Cursed Smite each encounter every six levels after 1st.

Poison Use: As Assassin.

Invocations: Starting at 2nd level, a Blackguard gains divine invocations drawn from the Warlock's list of invocations. He can gain any Least Invocation at 2nd and 5th levels; any Least or Lesser Invocation at 8th and 11th levels; any Least, Lesser, or Greater Invocation at 14th and 17th levels; and any Least, Lesser, Greater, or Dark Invocation at 20th level. The saving throws against these Invocations are determined by the Blackguard's Charisma modifier. A Blackguard can gain Eldritch Essence Invocations and apply them to any Cursed Smite attacks he makes, but he cannot gain Eldritch Shape Invocations.

Fearless: 2nd level Blackguards are immune to all fear effects.

Blasphemous Defiance: 3rd level Blackguards add their Charisma modifier to saving throws against spells and spell-like abilities, and to saving throws against any effect generated by an Outsider or Deity. Further, they become immune to "divine damage" and take only half damage from divine spells or effects originating from Outsiders or Deities.

Aura of Despair: Starting a 4th level, any foe within 10ft of a Blackguard takes a penalty to saving throws equal to 1+1/2 the Blackguard's Charisma modifier.

Improved Curse: The penalty from a Blackguard's Cursed Smite increases to -4 and he deals an extra 1d6 negative energy damage with the attack if it hits, as well as dealing 1d6 negative energy damage whenever the foe fails its save to remove the penalty.

Aura of Pain: Starting at 9th level, whenever any foe within 10ft of a Blackguard fails a saving throw it becomes nauseated for 1 round.

Mettle: As Hexblade.

Greater Curse: The penalty from a Blackguards Cursed Smite increases to -6 and he deals an extra 2d6 negative energy damage with the attack if it hits, as well as dealing 2d6 negative energy damage whenever the foe fails its save to remove the penalty. This extra damage does not stack with the extra damage from Improved Curse.

Aura of Unluck: Starting at 15th level, whenever any foe within 10ft of a Blackguard makes an attack roll, skill check, or ability check it must roll twice and take the lowest result.

Heart of Darkness: Starting at 16th level a Blackguard is healed by negative energy as well as by positive energy, is immune to gaining negative levels, death effects, and any effect which can be removed by Remove Curse.

Dark Curse: The penalty from a Blackguard's Cursed Smite increases to -8 and he deals an extra 3d6 negative energy damage with the attack if it hits, as well as dealing 3d6 negative energy damage whenever the foe fails its save to remove the penalty. This extra damage does not stack with the extra damage from Improved Curse or Greater Curse.

Aura of Disaster: Starting at 20th level, whenever a foe within 10ft of a Blackguard fails a d20 roll consult the following (stolen from... http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=26674 I actually have no idea who originally wrote it...):

Attack failures (Roll D10)Failures on attribute or skill rolls
Strength [spoiler]Strength roll and strength skill failures (Roll D10)Dexterity [spoiler]Dexterity roll and dexterity skill failures (Roll D10)Constitution [spoiler]Constitution roll and constitution skill failures (Roll D10)Intelligence [spoiler]Intelligence roll and intelligence skill failures (Roll D10)Wisdom [spoiler]Wisdom roll and wisdom skill failures (Roll D10)Charisma [spoiler]Charisma roll and charisma skill failures (Roll D10)Failure of Reflex, Fortitude and Will Saves
[spoiler]All variables in the description of the effect of the failed save are doubled.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 06:35:59 AM by bkdubs123 »

Zachariah

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 09:30:05 AM »
Depending on how (or which) invocations are given, it would be rather interesting. If you've seen my Hexblade fix before the boards updated, then something along those lines would help you out. I'll be re-uploading the class in a while.

True, besides, one could always make new invocations. Anyway, I'll be looking forward to check out your hexblade fix.

@bkdubs123: Thanks a lot, there are some really cool abilities among those. Although, I'm not so sure of the hexblade like abilities. But, like you said, they could always be modified to become divine like.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 07:57:34 PM »

True, besides, one could always make new invocations. Anyway, I'll be looking forward to check out your hexblade fix.

@bkdubs123: Thanks a lot, there are some really cool abilities among those. Although, I'm not so sure of the hexblade like abilities. But, like you said, they could always be modified to become divine like.
I have a lot to say bout this but I'm on vacation.
I think blackguards should get a capstone that says if you die at 20 you ...
Vanish/disentergrate/explode and reform in the nearest wastland(bog,desert, tundra... uninhabitable area) You gain the deathnight template and the "unholy toughness" special ability for free.
Moreso the blackguard should be based on the paladin... Onewinged4ngels paladin. Which is fairly balanced.
Oneday I'm gonna make it.
I love the base class idea you have by the way.
There's been some extensive talk about this in many places.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 06:33:22 AM »
Whoops... didn't mean to post in here.

Anyway, to Midnight V: Did you mean the class I put up a few posts ago? If so, I rather like it too :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 06:35:11 AM by bkdubs123 »