Author Topic: Warmages: Play them the right way or not at all  (Read 115533 times)

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
Re: Warmages: Play them the right way or not at all
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2011, 02:48:31 PM »
So can Human Paragon(1 gets you a single martial weapon, but you will want to take all 3), Arcane Archer(1 gives all martial weapons, you'll want 2 for the ability to use damageing spells with the better range from your bow), or Dragon Slayer 1(all martial weapons, armor up to heavy and shields except tower shield).

There might be more, but aside from needing to take Dodge(I'd recommend any other feat, that can count as Dodge) and paying for Iron Will(Otyugh Hole) Dragon Slayer is the simplest way to martial weapons, I know off for arcane casters.
The fluff-requirement(Kill a Dragon) is easier, than finding the hidden jungle temple of the couatls. If you meet him while you are Lvl 1, even a Kobold might suffice(It does count as a Dragon, as per the dragonblooded subtype). If not: Lesser Planar Binding, call Half Dragon Demon or Devil of appropriate CR, (de)buff at leisure, dismiss protective circle and slay it.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2011, 06:49:19 PM »
The fluff-requirement(Kill a Dragon) is easier, than finding the hidden jungle temple of the couatls. If you meet him while you are Lvl 1, even a Kobold might suffice(It does count as a Dragon, as per the dragonblooded subtype). If not: Lesser Planar Binding, call Half Dragon Demon or Devil of appropriate CR, (de)buff at leisure, dismiss protective circle and slay it.
You'd need to kill a dragonwrought kobold, I believe, not just a normal one.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

something random

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2011, 07:53:03 PM »
If you take versatile spellcaster and heighten spell, you could qualify for Rainbow Servant at level 5.  Having an extra two levels to PrC with is nice.

That suggests without early entry tricks that a Warmage cannot qualify for Rainbow Servant until level 7. which is not true You qualify normally as a level 6 warmage. The spell casting requirment is 3 level spells which a warmage gets at level 6
Am I the only one who's mind was broken when they realized the implication of the existence of the aberration bloodline.

Halinn

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2011, 09:02:20 PM »
If you take versatile spellcaster and heighten spell, you could qualify for Rainbow Servant at level 5.  Having an extra two levels to PrC with is nice.

That suggests without early entry tricks that a Warmage cannot qualify for Rainbow Servant until level 7. which is not true You qualify normally as a level 6 warmage. The spell casting requirment is 3 level spells which a warmage gets at level 6

Level 5 means that that is when you're taking the first level of RS

Bigtuna

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2011, 07:46:35 AM »
How about Ultimate Magus? If it's good for the beguiler wouldn't it be good for the Warmage?

Augmented Casting = more use of metamagic fetas
Expanded Spell Knowledge = more spells known
Seems to have some potiential.

Now we just need to find a Cha based caster that prepare spells from a spellbook...

Im not a big fan of Warmages personally - but the "know any spell on their spelllist" is just awesome, and well handbooks like this one make me wanna try one...

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2011, 06:12:37 PM »
Kobold 1 + PsyRef = Dragonwrought Kobold

Kinda expensive if you're just level 1, and hello magic mart.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2011, 06:56:17 PM »
How worthwhile is finishing up a Rainbow Warsnake with Geomancer?  All that you need is a few ranks in Knowledge (Nature) at that point and its usual drawback (only advances one class) means nothing in this case.  In the meantime, it lets you DMM your lower-level spells.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2011, 07:46:43 PM »
Why aren't prestige paladin, prestige ranger, and sublime chord in there?

Also, Sword of the Arcane Order and prestige ranger + mystic ranger variant?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]