Author Topic: Rape in D&D  (Read 25877 times)

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
Re: Rape in D&D
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 04:11:45 AM »
Considering that Devils are pretty much born fully adult and in complete control of their abilities, then it's okay. 
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 10:44:36 AM »
Considering that Devils are pretty much born fully adult and in complete control of their abilities, then it's okay. 

You know what I mean, Arioch.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

ErisFnord

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 02:15:01 AM »
a short anecdote then my two cents.

Over the summer, my friend GMed a campaign of 4.0.  Our characters had to get information from a spirit (if you've read Dark Tower series by Steven King, the Star Slut...a sex-hungry life-sucking entity).  One of the male characters was supposed to go in, knowing that the price for the information was painful sex, but he made a stupid decision earlier in the night and was too busy getting tortured to get there in time.  So my female character stepped in. 
Our GM proceeded with about two minutes of explanation as to how, what, and the scope of what happened.  The description lasted FOREVER.  Toward the end, all the players at the table were looking at each other very much O_o at the continued dragging out of the rape scene.  He ended it with "Oh, and mechanically, your HP are dropped to 1, you're fatigued, your CON score went down by 2, oh, and there's blood running down your legs.  You'll either have to crawl back to the village or wait for your companions."  He described it well, it fit within the game, but...we took a break afterward. 

There was no mention of it after that.  It didn't affect anything roleplaying-wise, it didn't affect the dice rolls (once the CON got healed), that was it.  Because there were no repercussions, it felt contrived and like he was using it for shock value. 

So if it's something that you're going to allow into your game, make sure it's something that's going to have an affect on the game.  As others have said, doing it for shock and "My Parents Are Dead" value just isn't worth it.  I'd also suggest against letting a character rape another character.  There are contingency spells for dying, but there really aren't contingency spells for getting assaulted (unless maybe a contingency time-stop then expeditious retreat? :))

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 04:12:24 PM »
I make this point a lot, so I will be brief. Make sure that what you're doing is inside the rules. I know you said it will be the PCs as the perpetrators, but if something is DONE to the PCS, make sure that all the rules of combat are followed. D&D is  a game about killing things and taking their stuff. Make sure you keep to its rule set. In story games this could be very different and maybe not as offensive as the action would drive the story forward. In an action/adventure game you have to make sure you are not de-protagonising.

Talen Lee

• Bi-Curious George
  • Forum Ninja
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 03:16:50 AM »
You might want to note that core D&D is just as bad at denoting the difference between chaotic and lawful behaviour at all, let alone what they would, or wouldn't do.

Fox Lee

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Me Grimfox KING!
    • Fox Lee Studios
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 03:37:04 AM »
Zuh? I'm trying to see how this relates to the thread. When did law and chaos come into it?

Wightlord

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 08:45:41 PM »
I don't Rape my PCs, I don't think it would elicit the emotional response I'm looking for. Of course I never did tell them that, when I had a group they were convinced that I had a 20 page handwritten rape scene ready to go in case they managed to get themselves into that kind of situation. (The hand written part is what pushed it from creepy to disturbing)

I have on occasion had NPCs rape other NPCs, I use it sparingly as I want to convey as sense of personal horror and violation, it should represent a fate worse than death. I also never describe a rape in detail, I feel that detail allows people to stop looking at a rape as an act of horrific violence and simply view it as a sexual act. Once again removing the emotional response.

Besides the after effects are far harder for players to deal with than just listening to a rape scene, you can have an NPC display; Fear of being alone, Fear of being with someone, Self mutilation, Suicide, Hyper-sexuality, no Sexuality, depression, violent personality changes, and fear of well anything. An interesting situation is an NPC rogue + violent flashback + nervous breakdown + sneak attack = Fun in the dungeon.

As for PCs raping NPCs, I won't simply say no, I will however try to get the other PCs to reign that player in. They usually have the tacit approval of the group for committing that action, I explain to the group that the character is committing rape for some of the same reasons that people do in reality, they have the power to do so and they have no fear of the consequences. I try and impress upon them that if this PC can rape an NPC over which they have power why can't that PC rape a PC over which they have power, most groups unwilling to let it go if it puts their asses in the danger zone.
I like my Women like I like my Coffee, Cold and Bitter.

I would never hit a woman, unless she called me sir and asked me nicely.

Talen Lee

• Bi-Curious George
  • Forum Ninja
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2008, 09:52:30 PM »
Rape's happened in my games, but never really as an on-screen thing or even as something people mention. It just seems so ... passe. I have far better ways to motivate people, far better ways to drive them onwards. Rape is an easy mode for that kind of thing, and really, the kind of villains I run aren't so pathetic as to have that kind of need for control.

Dredrick

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 01:45:45 AM »
Moderate necrobump here, but a good story none the less.

I was playing a D&D3.5 game not too long ago actually, where I tried to do a murder mystery thriller, styled after the Jack the Ripper killings. The problem is that my players hated the hell out of it. Of our group of 4 at the time, one liked trying to piece the puzzles together but the others... not so much. After the session ended they wanted to keep playing, but I was tired and went to bed, so I let one of them DM for a while and while I was asleep my 17/18 year old friends decided to go on a raping spree around the town, tieing up and having fun with the barmaids, inkeep, and probably many others that they didn't bother to tell me about in the morning.

The point? Know your players very well if your going to go somewhere questionable.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 08:51:43 AM »
Actually, that's more like raising Mumm-rah's corpse from the tomb, but anyway.

You could amend that to "know your players before you go anywhere", period.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 08:53:36 AM »
In my experience you never really know your players

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 02:15:50 PM »
Just in case, always plan they will rape and kill everything not nailed down and on fire (unless world has water). If all hints point to A, they go for B. If it's a complex task they will use a hammer and if it's simple like walking across the road they will spend 15 minutes disarming the invisible traps. Unless they have two pages of back story or more don't present moral conundrums to them either as they have little concern if the jail's door lock DC is only 25.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 03:52:46 PM »
Just in case, always plan they will rape and kill everything not nailed down and on fire (unless world has water). If all hints point to A, they go for B. If it's a complex task they will use a hammer and if it's simple like walking across the road they will spend 15 minutes disarming the invisible traps. Unless they have two pages of back story or more don't present moral conundrums to them either as they have little concern if the jail's door lock DC is only 25.

Thread over, you win.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2010, 05:12:11 PM »

I was playing a D&D3.5 game not too long ago actually, where I tried to do a murder mystery thriller, styled after the Jack the Ripper killings. The problem is that my players hated the hell out of it. Of our group of 4 at the time, one liked trying to piece the puzzles together but the others... not so much. After the session ended they wanted to keep playing, but I was tired and went to bed, so I let one of them DM for a while and while I was asleep my 17/18 year old friends decided to go on a raping spree around the town, tieing up and having fun with the barmaids, inkeep, and probably many others that they didn't bother to tell me about in the morning.

The point? Know your players very well if your going to go somewhere questionable.

Interesting you should mention this. Our current group has a player who styles himself after Jack the Ripper. He was attempting to rape a captive so I threw him off and beat the hell out of him. He got all pissed and we all got into a big OOC argument and the game ended for the evening.

I guess the lesson is that rape is too melodramatic to introduce, for fear of halts and slows to the game that really aren't necessary. What sucks is I already knew that and didn't need to learn the lesson.
I am the only one that did.

Fucking RP purists, or more actually purists of any kind, can be such pains in the asses. I am the minority in the group though, so I suppose my role is to grin an bear it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 05:13:53 PM by Bloody Initiate »
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2010, 05:14:34 PM »

Interesting you should mention this. Our current group has a player who styles himself after Jack the Ripper. He was attempting to rape a captive so I threw him off and beat the hell out of him. He got all pissed and we all got into a big OOC argument and the game ended for the evening.

I guess the lesson is that rape is too melodramatic to introduce, for fear of halts and slows to the game that really aren't necessary. What sucks is I already knew that.

Fucking RP purists, or more actually purists of any kind, are such pains in the asses.

RP purists tend to be a pain in the ass for me because of their holier-than-thou disposition. Other than that, they don't bother me.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »

I guess the lesson is that rape is too melodramatic to introduce, for fear of halts and slows to the game that really aren't necessary. What sucks is I already knew that.

Fucking RP purists, or more actually purists of any kind, are such pains in the asses.

RP purists tend to be a pain in the ass for me because of their holier-than-thou disposition. Other than that, they don't bother me.

We have that in common then. The player who was doing the raping can actually be a lot of fun to watch (roleplay, not rape) because he's good at RP. The problem arose when my RP (I was a good character) conflicted with his (Which in his and everyone else's estimation, is superior by default) and all the other purists in our group (Who shouldn't be purists because they're not as good at it) rallied behind him to give me hell.

As I said though, it is not just RP purists, but people who maintain any extreme, that frequently annoy me. The situation I mentioned wasn't that dire, just an example of how rape is an element that serves itself more than any other purpose in a game. The actual argument my group had was mostly just an inconvenience for all of us.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2010, 02:51:55 AM »
I've had a player's character raped, and he's been having loads of fun so far. As long as the deed makes sense, and has an impact, its all good.

That character is planning to roast that vampire in due time.
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2011, 05:12:25 PM »
For players who want to rape you can always try to get them to read something showing the seriousness of what they are proposing. I know a story that's guaranteed to make those who like rape really uncomfortable about their fetish, I will not post it here because I don't want anyone mindfucked like I was (worst f*cking alternative to rickrolling ever, the asshole said it was a good World of Warcraft story 'forgetting' to mention it was an nsfw story about rape). If someone wants to see it, I can send it to you but warning you will regret having read it and I repeat do NOT force it upon the unsuspecting, only make it a requirement for those who want to rape in your campaign to read (and if they still want to rape in your campaign after reading you should probably be suitably creeped out). 

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2011, 10:02:45 AM »
For players who want to rape you can always try to get them to read something showing the seriousness of what they are proposing. I know a story that's guaranteed to make those who like rape really uncomfortable about their fetish, I will not post it here because I don't want anyone mindfucked like I was (worst f*cking alternative to rickrolling ever, the asshole said it was a good World of Warcraft story 'forgetting' to mention it was an nsfw story about rape). If someone wants to see it, I can send it to you but warning you will regret having read it and I repeat do NOT force it upon the unsuspecting, only make it a requirement for those who want to rape in your campaign to read (and if they still want to rape in your campaign after reading you should probably be suitably creeped out). 
I think I'll give it a try, could you send me a PM or mail with it?
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2011, 03:43:26 PM »
Now that may have been the most disturbing thing I have ever read. I wouldn't say I regret having read it, but really disturbing nevertheless
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?