Author Topic: Ask the Gameologists!  (Read 8094 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Ask the Gameologists!
« on: May 21, 2008, 01:24:44 PM »
From now on, each episode we'll answer "fan mail".  We may tie questions into our icebreakers or just answer short questions people have. 

So what would you like to know about us?  No limits!  We won't answer in this thread, but may just answer your question in one of our upcoming episodes!
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

logan9a

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • GM of Heroic Cthulhu
    • Heroic Cthulhu
    • Email
Re: Ask the Gameologists!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 06:30:33 PM »
This thread is a lovely idea.

I'd like more discussion, with examples, on Ed Greenwood please.  Quotes would be nice. 
Listen to Heroic Cthulhu podcasts
http://heroiccthulhu.mypodcast.com/index.html
The Heroic Cthulhu boards can be found at:  http://heroiccthulhu.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 08:18:11 PM »
In before anyone else asks this:

Will you have my babies?  :P
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

CustosTheFluffy

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Something witty will one day go here....
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 09:33:51 PM »
YES! BABIES FOR ALL!

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 09:56:08 PM »
I'm sure I've seen this somewhere, but what inspired you to start the podcast?

I also want your babies, so you know.
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

clarkcd

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Da Man
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 03:07:45 PM »
That's just plain creepy.

----------

Without a full review (which you're probably getting to) what is the big deal, thus Josh's obsession, with Burning Wheel, Savage Worlds and Spirit of the Century?
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

Grade 'A' pain in the neck arrogance brought to you by Da Man.

Da Man Has Spoken

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 03:13:40 PM »
That's just plain creepy.

----------

Without a full review (which you're probably getting to) what is the big deal, thus Josh's obsession, with Burning Wheel, Savage Worlds and Spirit of the Century?
I'd really like to know the reason behind the general love of Burning Wheel, as well. More so than just "because the mechanics are well done"
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 05:02:37 PM »
the mechanics thing is pretty much it. We could go into glowing detail, but the fact that the games in question have mechanics which integrate and reward role playing is what has hooked us.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 06:16:45 PM »
Those games actually do the things that people want their games to do.  And they do them out of the Box.

The Gumshoe games I find very interesting as well, however they have problems out of the box.

Games like Serenity are crap but rather than just saying that and leaving the issue there, I need to proffer a suggestion about what to play.

So I suggest what I can.  There are tons of crap games out there, and there are tons of very specific games that are good.  There are very few games that are 1)General Use* 2)Good mechanics 3)Work out of the box.

In fact there are: Burning wheel, Spirit of the century, Savage Worlds, 4e DnD, Mutants and Masterminds, Dread and Saga Edition Star Wars (that list is a practical list, meaning the games I have recommended without reservations)

*by general use I mean fit into the style of the game the poster is talking about

Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 07:39:10 PM »
So in light of the above, I have another question.
Do the brilliant gameologists think that 3.5 D&D or 4e D&D better fulfill the 3 points Josh just outlined?
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 08:25:11 PM »
Do the brilliant gameologists think that 3.5 D&D or 4e D&D better fulfill the 3 points Josh just outlined?
3.5 was never finished.  I always had to house rule things around and it was always too complicated for my group.

4e can be played out of the box and it is an interesting game.  It is also more focused.  It structurally has elements that make it easier for my group to play. 

4e is the miniatures combat dungeon crawl game I have been looking for.  In that sense it is a better game.  If my players are interested 3.5 still has tremendous mod potential.  There are also ideas from 3.5 that I think will work with other games.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 02:36:45 PM »
Why doesn't D&D have Magic Pants? What's the purpose of a Healing Belt if you're not wearing pants?

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 03:21:55 PM »
Look at Hennett; belts are pants.  :lol

Solo Phoenix

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • My deviantArt
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 08:22:11 PM »
Magic Pants = Awesome

Monkeypants > Awesome
Advice to gamer girls looking for love: The odds are very good, but the goods are very odd.<br /><br />They call it a clam for a reason.

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 04:03:17 AM »
I don't know if its "gameology" per se, but how do you go about meeting a new gaming group?  It seems like the groups that have the most fun have known each other for a while, but what happens when you move?

This directly pertains to me, I relocated about 6 months ago and am pheening for some tabletop gaming!!!   On a brighter note, my tattoo artist plays, and they've only got 3 players right now, so I might be in luck.  Could be a good lil side-topic, though.
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 04:19:08 PM »
3.5 was never finished.  I always had to house rule things around and it was always too complicated for my group.

4e can be played out of the box and it is an interesting game.  It is also more focused.  It structurally has elements that make it easier for my group to play. 

4e is the miniatures combat dungeon crawl game I have been looking for.  In that sense it is a better game.  If my players are interested 3.5 still has tremendous mod potential.  There are also ideas from 3.5 that I think will work with other games.
While I don't think 4e is the ultimate D&D edition, I do admit that currently is looks quite nice on certain fronts, although it's still somewhat limited in freedom when I compare it to the 3.5 core books IMHO. However, do you think (and maybe are afraid ??) that 4e will lose it's 'focus' and get more complicated with the release of more splat books (which appear to be 'core' as well judging from what I've read about 4e so far??

~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 04:13:28 PM »
I have a question for the gameologists: If you were deities, what domains would you have? :D

(I assure you, "munchkin" is only there for alliteration)
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 06:39:20 PM »
I just wanted to share that I was heartbroken when I found out you refer to yourselves as "Game - Ologists" instead of "Gay-Me Ologists" which I thought was cute and funnier :(

fil kearney

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • KILLFEAR.COM
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 09:19:51 PM »
In before anyone else asks this:

Will you have my babies?  :P

Yeah.. 500 of 'em.. Oooohhhh!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC2gIPnUCgw

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
  • "I do not exist," we faithfully insist.
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 08:10:14 AM »
Yeah.. 500 of 'em.. Oooohhhh!

Will they be running as fast as Kenyans?
Mine's been a yard carefully surface-tended, foxes burrowed underground.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD