Author Topic: Handbook: Dipping Cleric 1  (Read 72157 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Handbook: Dipping Cleric 1
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 10:39:30 AM »
Forgive the noob question (it's on topic) but how are you getting Devotion feats right off of a Cleric 1 dip? Are you actually allowed to trade out a domain in favour of a devotion feat?

Yes.
Note that you only trade the domain power. You still get the spells.
Wait, really?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
Forgive the noob question (it's on topic) but how are you getting Devotion feats right off of a Cleric 1 dip? Are you actually allowed to trade out a domain in favour of a devotion feat?

Yes.
Note that you only trade the domain power. You still get the spells.
Wait, really?
Really.  It makes them even more attractive, especially Animal or Plant domain (seriously, how many plants will you get a chance to Rebuke?)
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
Maybe the errata changes something (like it changed the turn undead uses burned), but in the book you don't get to keep the spells...

Complete Champion: (emphasis mine)
In addition, you can choose to give up access to a domain in exchange for the corresponding domain feat. Doing so allows you to select up to three domain feats, but you cannot prepare domain spells or use the granted power of the sacrificed
domain. In essence, you trade in a domain for an extra feat slot that you can spend only on a specific domain feat. For example, the above cleric of Pelor could choose to give up the granted power and spells of the Good domain for the Good Devotion feat.

Edit: I see where you might have gotten confused.  The paragraph above the one I quoted mentions that you can take 2 domains of a deity and cast spells/use powers from them normally, and then take domain feats (ie with character levels, not trading in) without taking the same domains, so a cleric of nature could have the nature and animal domains, and still take the earth and fire domain feats later.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:44:48 AM by Akalsaris »

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 02:30:01 PM »
Hey, Chaos Devotion isn't half-bad. I've used it for only one encounter, and already I'm impressed. I kept getting +7 Attack or +8 AC! And it cost me practically nothing! For a Cleric Dip on a combatant, it's either that or Law Devotion, for sure.

Law Devotion is better, I admit, but when you're Chaotic (and I'm a Paladin of Freedom), you can hardly justify that, can you? Besides, sometimes the extra random edge is better.

It's definitely Blue.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 09:45:27 PM »
Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Law Devotion personally.  It won me a bunch of low-level arena games.  Chaos Devotion seems like a neutered version of that, but still quite good.

Edit: added the possible weapons for the War domain for those who want to get a martial or exotic weapon out of their dip.  See the first post after the main one for it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:06:32 PM by Akalsaris »

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
[spoiler][/spoiler]
This is interesting. And makes that Church Inquisitor early dip that much more interesting, netting Knowledge Devotion.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 09:58:03 PM »
Might I note that destroy undead and the drow cleric rebuke vermin abilities explicitly are able to fuel divine feats?

So if you're, say, an evil dread necromancer, you can still double up on your pools with a dip.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 01:07:00 AM »

[spoiler][/spoiler]