Author Topic: Gaming Profile/Preference Thread  (Read 55045 times)

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Gaming Profile/Preference Thread
« on: May 21, 2008, 05:57:44 AM »
Welcome to BG's PbP Area!

This thread is going to be a tool for all of our soon-to-be GMs.  If you're interested in playing in a PbP on these forums, post here, please.
I want to keep this organized, so please only use ONE post. Feel free to edit and update the post as your preferences, likes, and dislikes change.

Post whatever pertinent information about your gaming style you feel is relevant, including but not limited to:
system(s) you play, average level you like to play, favorite setting(s), style of play/post, game-type you'd like, and any characters you are playing/games you are GMing.
I'm going to keep an index in the next post. If you find something wrong with the index or the link to your post, please PM me. Good Gaming :D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 03:40:41 PM by aftercrescent »
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:52:18 PM by AfterCrescent »
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: Gaming Profile/Preference Thread
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 06:00:28 AM »
Gaming Experience: I have been playing D&D 3.5 for almost 3 years now. I started DMing for my group about 2 months after I started playing and have been DMing since. I'm looking forward to being a PC again.
Average level interested in playing: Any.
Favorite System(s): D&D 3.5 & Recently I've been reading up on Burning Wheel
Favorite Setting(s): I prefer homebrews, but I have recently been very intrigued by Eberron.
Style of play: Mixture of role-playing/combat... about 60%/40%
Favorite Game Type: Town/world exploration with a mix of dungeon delving.
Favorite Class Type: I prefer divine casters, but really I like most things. Skillmonkeys are my achilles' heel somehow.
Favorite Class: CLERIC!
Favorite Prestige Class: Bone Knight and Master Transmogrifist. Knight of the Raven is fun too. If Frank & K's stuff is allowed, I want to try out a Boneblade Master. :D
Average Posting Rate: I'm always near my computer, and I'm here frequently.
Currently DMing: Heroic Origins, Tides of Time, & The Rise of the Last King
Currently Playing: Talsor, Ur-Priest of Dispater in Dispatching the Message & Simell in Herwr Arglwyddi
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 04:39:23 PM by AfterCrescent »
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 06:20:45 AM »
Gaming Experience: Been playing D&D for almost...15? 18? years now? Since the Gold box days anyways). A mixture of player and DM. Currently playing in one campaign and DM-ing another.
Favorite System(s): Classic Battletech, DnD 3.5, d100 system that I came up with about 15 years ago.
Favorite Setting(s): When I DM, it is always homebrews. As a player, Greyhawk mainly (that DM refuses to change to anything else). I'd like to play in FR and Dragonlance one day.
Style of play: Mainly action/adventure/save the world heroic. Wordy games are less appealing because I always notice people nodding off when it happens or I start to nod off when a dramaqueen muscles his way onto centre stage. Needless to say, dramaqueens need not apply ;)
Favorite Game Type: Heroic save the world. Epic-scope (not levels). The fewer the restrictions the better. Balance is a concept I only apply to the party.
Favorite Class Type: None. I play just about anything. I have been told that I "break casters wide open", though (I turn supposedly non-combat spells into combat spells, which annoys my DMs... a lot...)
Favorite Class: Any caster.
Favorite Prestige Class: Anything that advances my character build concept. Dipping is fairly common.
Average Posting Rate: 50+ posts in 4 days? Think that speaks for itself :)
Currently DMing: Hopefully epic-scope game. Homebrew. I'll post the setting if anyone's interested.

[EDIT]: It is official. Mailee is a GUY [nods at picture in the first post]
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 06:16:09 PM by AndyJames »

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:34:33 AM »
Gaming Experience: Been playing D&D for six years, mostly as a DM. Looking to play a bit before 4E
Average level interested in playing: Any but I prefer 8-15
Favorite System(s): D&D 4e and 3.5, Mutants and Masterminds, Star Wars : Saga Edition
Favorite Setting(s): Greyhawk is by far my favorite. I hate Forgotten Realm with a fierce passion
Style of play: Adventuring. Combat/social ratio is about 65/35
Favorite Game Type: Horror / Dungeon Delving
Favorite Class Type: Melee Support Characters, I don't like straight melee, I need some spells/maneuvers to make it interesting
Favorite Class: Warlord (4e) Cleric, Crusader/Marshal, Dread Necromancer
Favorite Prestige Class: Fist of Raziel, Ruby Knight Vindicator
Average Posting Rate: Always have my laptop near me.
Currently DMing: A 2 group game with another DM in a homebrew setting. Basically a group of chosen of Bahamut facing forces of Tiamat (I'm running the Bahamut side and the other DM, Tiamat's) in a ever scaling conflict.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 04:17:54 PM by Banor »

Llochlyn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 11:57:34 AM »
Gaming Experience: Playing for 7-8 years, and DMing for two years
Favorite System(s): Outside of the very familiar D&D, I fell in love with the new Spycraft
Favorite Setting(s): Eberron, by far
Style of play: I love fights as much as I love RP, for me it's almost like two separate games in one box
Favorite Game Type: End of the world + political conflict with few but memorable fights (as a DM, as a player, "gaming" is what I like). I'm a bit weak in levels over 12 in D&D.
Favorite Class Type: Style wise, I'm fond of melee, slicing stuff and cheesy lines ! That said, I often have much fun with Caster/Support types
Favorite Class: Hard to tell. As long as it's good at what it's supposed to do, it's OK.
Favorite Prestige Class: Chameleon. I'm an undecisive guy.
Average Posting Rate: One or two posts a day is easy. More on weekends possibly.
Currently DMing: Two PbP Eberron games on le-scriptorium (french site), and another in P&P.

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 12:59:49 PM »
Gaming Experience: Lots. Been playing D&D since the 1980s, played all kinds of systems.
Favorite System(s): D&D, GURPS, Shadowrun, Amber
Favorite Setting(s): Right now, in D&D, Eberron. I'd love to play in that world.
Style of play: Mixture of role-playing/combat... about 60%/40%
Favorite Game Type: Mysteries with some combat.
Favorite Class Type: All sorts, actually. I've played them all, they're all fun.
Favorite Class: Hmm. Hard to say. Right now, I'll say Crusader. Ask me tomorrow, and it will be Bard.
Favorite Prestige Class: Another tough one. Ultimate Magus today.
Average Posting Rate: 1/day in PbP, moreso in normal forum posts.
Currently DMing: Starting up the Grey Citadel adventure. Working on a GURPS campaign that will probably see the PbP world in about two months.

Shigunaru

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • I am your "friend"
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 01:57:02 PM »
Gaming Experience: I've been playing for 7 years, DMing in the last one and half.
Average level interested in playing: Any. Except epic.
Favorite System(s): D&D, tried GURPS for a bit, too.
Favorite Setting(s): Dark Sun.
Style of play: 50/50 Rp and cobat.
Favorite Game Type: "Epic destiny" kind of stories. :)
Favorite Class Type: The sneaky guy or the flashy one. Yes, world is black or white.
Favorite Class: Wizard and Rogue.
Favorite Prestige Class: Chameleon.
Average Posting Rate: enough. :D (several posts per day)
Currently DMing: An Eberron campaign for my buddies, here in Italy :lol
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 11:56:35 AM by Shigunaru »
Posting guidelines. Read 'em. Use 'em. Love 'em.

DaveTheMagicWeasel

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • If you optimize it, they will come
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 03:22:13 PM »
Gaming Experience: Warhammer as a kid, started D&D about 6 years ago, but I'm normally the DM (lazy friends), been PbPing for about a year.
Average level interested in playing: will play anything, but I have a hankering for a nice high-level game so as to play a Shadow Pouncer.
Favorite System(s): Iron Heroes or 3.5
Favorite Setting(s): Midnight, but I'm not picky.
Style of play: I like a bit of everything - to intersperse my hacking and slashing with good story and rp.  Why choose when you can have it all?
Favorite Game Type: I'm gonna copy Shigunaru and say +1 to "epic destiny"
Favorite Class Type: Anything that gives me options, I'll try anything once ;)
Favorite Class: Iron Heroes Berzerker, or in 3.5 terms probably Warblade (but there's too many to choose from).
Favorite Prestige Class: Currently Telflammar Shadowlord/Crinti Shadow Marauder, also a big War Weaver fan.
Average Posting Rate: Daily.
Currently DMing: Iron Heroes (heavily houseruled) in the real world.
Current Characters: Gwynaedh Corvalis (gestalt Sorc/Silver Pyro/Incantatrix//Cleric/Knight of the Raven), Turen Demesh (Whisper Gnome Rogue), Egil Gudmund (Dragonborn Cleric / Ordained Champ / PrC Paladin).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 04:43:24 PM by DaveTheMagicWeasel »

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 12:27:46 PM »
Gaming Experience: Played for a bit over two years in a variety of different styles.
Average level interested in playing: 3-20.
Favorite System(s): D&D 3.5. All of the others I am either unfamiliar with or looked into and did not like.
Favorite Setting(s): Eberron. Good homebrews are acceptable. FR is a big no.
Style of play: Mixture of role-playing/combat... about 50%/50% +/- 15%. One or the other just isn't good enough - both are required to interest me.
Favorite Game Type: Epic feel (actions have widespread consequences, PCs are important but not gods).
Favorite Class Type: Anything versatile. The more you can do, the more you can participate. Especially important in PbP, where even sitting out of five minutes of game time can mean taking no action for a day or more real time. One trick ponies *cough*Fighters*cough* simply are unacceptable.
Favorite Class: Artificer.
Favorite Prestige Class: Hard to say, since Artificer 20 is like Druid 20. If pressed I would go with IooSV, on a wizard of course.
Average Posting Rate: Extremely high.
Currently DMing: Age of Worms, along with a nautical type campaign.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 03:10:46 PM »
Gaming Experience: Several years of freeform, a few years of D&D and even less NWoD.
Average level interested in playing: Any and all. I'd like to try an epic campaign some day.
Favorite System(s): D&D 3.5. Freeform is awesome, but I don't think that counts as a system.
Favorite Setting(s): Homebrew, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Forgotten Realms and Eberron.
Style of play: Anything will go, but I really want some RP in most of the time. Some of the joke campaigns we've had that mostly involve bashing stuff are nice, but all combat and no roleplay makes Tshern a dull boy.
Favorite Game Type: I like urban detective work and freedom.
Favorite Class Type: I need skills. I really, really do. Additionally I like having a way of 'casting' like spells, powers or maneuvers.
Favorite Class: Druid (Wizard is the 2nd).
Favorite Prestige Class: Shadowcraft Mage and Slayer. I think.
Average Posting Rate: High.
Currently DMing: The Iron Siege.

Handy Links

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 10:08:40 PM »
  • Average level interested in playing: 6-15
  • Favorite System(s): D&D 3.5. Somewhat familiar with Star Wars: Saga Edition, but have not played it.  Would love to play D&D 4 as well.  Also would be interested in an intro-type Shadowrun game - I live in the Seattle area, after all.
  • Favorite Setting(s): No particular favorites, but I'm interested in playing an Eberron game.
  • Style of play: Any and all.
  • Favorite Game Type: Any and all.
  • Favorite Class Type: Team-player types.
  • Favorite Classes: No particular favorite, but I'm mostly interested in playing things from outside of Core.
  • Favorite Prestige Classes: The ones that I qualify for.
  • Average Posting Rate: FREQUENTLY!
  • Current Characters in Games: None.  I got banned from WotC/Gleemax.   :chairhit
  • Currently DMing: None.

Akula

• Email
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 04:11:32 AM »
Gaming Experience: Several years of some weird setting. One year of DnD.
Average level interested in playing: Any up to twenty, epic doesn't really work.
Favorite System(s): D&D 3.5.
Favorite Setting(s): Homebrew, but I have some interest in Eberron.
Style of play: Prefer roleplay to combat heavy but I need some fighting...say 65/35 mix.
Favorite Game Type: None, I'll try anything.
Favorite Class Type: Anything involving Tome of Battle, Tome of Magic, or divine casting.
Favorite Class: Cleric, Crusader.
Favorite Prestige Class: Dweomercheater :P, more seriously I like Master of the Nine.
Average Posting Rate: I have posted more then 20/day on other forum gaming, I don't like to comment if I feel that I have nothing to add.
Currently DMing: One homebrew campaign in RL.

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 03:49:38 PM »
Gaming Experience: I have been playing D&D 3.5 for over 3 years now. I have played DM only occasionally when our DM was not available.
Favorite System(s): D&D 3.5, although I am no fan of all the different campaign settings and 'new' Book of nine Swords
Favorite Setting(s): Greyhawk.
Style of play: Kick in the door, Battle-geared: 90%, Roleplaying: 10%
Favorite Game Type: Town/world exploration with a mix of dungeon delving.
Favorite Class Type: I prefer to have a lot of options, resulting mostly in some kind of caster/semicaster.
Favorite Class: Archivist / Wizard
Favorite Prestige Class: Mystic Theurge (I know It's not optimal  :)).
Average Posting Rate: When I'm not at university, I am lurking behind my PC.
Currently DMing: None.
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

NineInchNall

• I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 02:57:03 AM »
  • Gaming Experience: 15 years (maybe 16) of gaming over multiple systems.  Shadowrun, Palladium, Cyberpunk, TFOS, BESM, Cybergen, Rifts, L5R, Vampire, Werewolf, Star Wars (d6), HKAT, WFRP, and more that I probably could remember if I bothered to try.  Mostly I've come to the conclusion that all game designers and most gamers have no comprehension of mechanical balance.  It makes me angry.
  • Favorite System(s): d20.  Well, a modified d20 that doesn't make half the available archetypes suck in comparison to the other half.  (See Frank Trollman's Races of War for a good attempt at rectifying certain imbalances.)
  • Favorite Setting(s):  Dawnforge is the awesomest setting ever.  Settings should be small in variety and large in size.  Faerun fails in this.  It has a billion separate countries and factions.  That means it's hard to identify any consistent theme through the setting.  Dawnforge (or for that matter, Midnight) has a large world with only a few countries and factions.  Thus it is easy to identify iconic members and stories of the setting.
  • Style of play: Action.  Give it to me now.  And after the action give me some prep time so that I can make use of the loot we got.  Then some more action.  But through it all I want an awesome story and some cool characters.
  • Favorite Game Type:  Honestly?  Dungeon crawls, Seven Samurai-style town defense, etc.
  • Favorite Class Type: Utility or support casters.  There seriously is nothing more satisfying than enabling my team mates to accomplish feats that would have been unimaginable without my aid.
  • Favorite Class: Druid or Beguiler.  It's pretty much a toss up.
  • Favorite Prestige Class: Shadowcraft Mage or Planar Shepherd.  Again, it's a toss up.
  • Average Posting Rate: High, when work allows.
  • Currently DMing: Age of Worms in real life for a group of six players using material cooked up by Frank Trollman and Janus Jones.

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 07:19:50 PM »
Gaming Experience: Picked up 3.0 in grade school, been playing and DMing for 3.0/3.5 ever since. So maybe 6 years. Working on picking up 4e currently.
Average level interested in playing: Have more experience in lower level games, and my optimization isnt the best for high levels, but i would be willing to try anything
Favorite System(s): 3.0/3.5. Would be interested in a 4e game at some point.
Favorite Setting(s): I have always homebrewed my own. Its less rigid
Style of play: I'm pretty much split. Started off hack 'n slash but as i got older i grew to like the role playing
Favorite Game Type: Any that I can have fun playing, but political and urban adventures are good ones
Favorite Class Type: I'm up for anything, as long as it isnt made of fail and makes me be lawful good  :smirk
Favorite Class: There are lots...Druid maybe?
Favorite Prestige Class: GAAAH! Prestige classes are for optimizers...j/k
Current Characters in Games: Human Beguiler
Average Posting Rate: As soon as I know if this amazing site is blocked at school i'l know...
Currently DMing: Two homebrews, one role playing oriented and the other dungeon delving
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 10:27:43 PM by SixthDeclension »
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

Lost_Scholar

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 02:15:37 AM »
Gaming Experience: Around 3 years, with about a year's worth of DMing so far.
Average level interested in playing: Varies, usually 5-15.
Favorite System(s): D&D 3.5, though would love to try out other systems, particularly Mutants & Masterminds.
Favorite Setting(s): Eberron.
Style of play: Up for nearly anything. Most games participated in so far have been about 65/35 combat/roleplay, though almost anything will do.
Favorite Game Type: Nearly anything.
Favorite Class Type: Casters, mainly for their versatility.
Favorite Class: Druid.
Favorite Prestige Class: Chameleon or Shadowcraft Mage.
Average Posting Rate: Moderate.
Currently DMing: Nothing until fall.
"Violence is not the answer, it is the question. And the answer is yes"-a friend.
Vand Merrilin, Lesser Deep Gnome Beguiler 2

the_taken

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Fear of Monkeys!
    • davidpetrie.info
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 10:16:36 PM »
Gaming Experience: 6 years a player, 11 years a dungeon master. Ever since I was introduced to the game, I DMed almost exclusively.
Average level interested in playing: High. I'm pursuing a career in game design, and D&D is one of the games I play to practice.
Favorite System(s): D&D, being the most popular. All game systems perform simulations differently, although I prefer those geared for role playing more than board games, TCGs and MMOs.
Favorite Setting(s): I prefer homebrews. There's something about official settings that don't sit well with me.
Style of play: As much as I like role playing, I'm always ready for a good Beer & Pretzels session; breaking into people's homes dungeons, stabbing them monsters in the face, and riffling thru their possessions for bling.
Favorite Game Type: No plot. Violence only. Final Destination.
Favorite Class Type: I love playing as a mighty warrior. Anything that directly generates a really tough sonova bitch with big ass stick. Not that I don't have any appreciation for INTELLIGENCE!
Favorite Prestige Class: While I can aprreciate anything that provides an interesting twist on gameplay, a special place in my heart exists for the Walker in the Wastes attached to the Dread Necromancer. So much evil, so much death, so much pizzaz!
Average Posting Rate: Consider me disposed at all times. (Not indisposed.)
Currently DMing: Stars, in your multitude, - a high fantasy campaign reflavoured for a sci-fi action adventure in space.

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 10:40:33 PM »
Gaming Experience: Playing for 3-4 years, little DM experience
Favorite System(s): Dungeons and Dragons v3.5, Mutants and Masterminds
Favorite Setting(s): Eberron, Generic
Style of play: Focus on dungeon crawling, with a little RP to mix it up occasionally
Favorite Game Type: Slay the Dragon, save the Princess. Good old fashioned bust down the door and kill stuff, 'cuz I'm an adventurer! However, I find that anonymity granted by online RP allows me to be less self-conscious in a RP-heavy scenario.
Favorite Class Type: Versatile. I don't like to be hedged into doing just one thing.
Favorite Class: Psion, or PsyWar
Favorite Prestige Class: War Mind. If it had manifesting progression instead of its own manifester level, it'd be the bestest evar.
Average Posting Rate: Now that we're coming up on summer and school's letting out, I'll be at my computer a lot. 3-4 posts per day should be easy, with 6+ possible. Probably have periodic days where I won't be able to post as often.
Currently DMing: None
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 12:56:16 AM »
been in dnd since adnd 2nd edition (circa 1987 maybe..), with some reversions into regular adnd..
done all the palladium, some white wolf, a few other systems.

favorite system is paladium, but i cant stand making the characters... so i spend most of my rpg time on dnd 3.5

style, more adventure than rpg, 60/40

game type, we have all rescued and destroyed... got the t shirt... anything new..

fav class, anything new, been itching to do a warlock

post rate, i keep chaotic hours, i tend to be able to post at least once an hour if needed.. unless im sleeping..

my regular dm just got diagnosed with cancer, so thats done for now... not active in any games... considering putting into the battle nexus...
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.