Author Topic: Glyph Carver (and Glyph Carving) [D&D3.5] - Unfinished  (Read 3578 times)

MasterVega

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Master of what? Well, I'm not exactly sure...
    • Email
Glyph Carver (and Glyph Carving) [D&D3.5] - Unfinished
« on: November 15, 2008, 06:35:12 PM »
Note: I understand there is already a runecarving class posted on the "When Inspiration Strikes" board. This one fills a different niche (I hope).
For a long time now, I've wanted to make a glyph-based character. A few years back when I played in freeform RPs, I played as one of these guys and it was a lot of fun. This is my attempt to capture the quasi-mechanic I used while playing that character. I used the Martial Maneuver system in ToB as a base for this system (which I'll start defining in the next post), and this is designed to be balanced against the ToB.
Anyhow, I'm not nearly finished with this class, or the Glyphs in the posts to come. I was hoping I could get some opinions from you guys about how I've done so far, and what direction each element should go.

Thanks in advance

Glyph Carver
"Some would say the pen is mightier than the sword, but I prefer a compromise." - Miles "Razorpen" Renald, Glyph Carver.

Characteristics: Glyph Carvers are curious, though observant, and eager to incorporate different aspects of art into their own unique style. Though each spell symbol has a base rune that every Glyphcarver uses, the flourishes and other aspects through which additional power is added are completely unique to each Glyph Carver. This being the case, any two members of this class who cross paths are likely to show off their work and exchange tips on technique. They are generally good natured in these discussions, though there are also those who get defensive upon seeing a better Glyph Carver's carvings.
On a less social note, Glyph Carvers are often fascinated with ancient art, and some may complain when it comes time to leave a lost temple or relic site.
Glyph Carvers are usually strategic fighters, as their art requires them to rely mostly on using their glyphs as traps. Some of the less academic members of this class actually work as magical trappers, resembling a sort of arcane ranger or rogue.

Adventurers: A Glyph Carver's respect for art alone can bring him on an adventure.

Other Classes:
Glyph Carver's enjoy the company of bards and especially talkative wizards, as the former is an artist of word and song, and the later shares a passion for arcane magic and artifacts. Sorcerers are boring magical cudgels who do not appreciate the subtleties of arcana. Barbarians can be entertaining to speak with, though the tattoos they wear often draw the attention of the Glyph Carver. More than a few paladins have been angered or joyed to see their deity's symbol added to a suitable (or unsuitable) carving. Monks and Fighters can be either exciting or boring to a carver, who might find inspiration or artist's block in the stories and philosophies spoken by either.

Alignment: Glyph Carvers can be of any alignment, though many become so carried away in their studies they forget the laws of the realm they study in... often trespassing by complete accident when attempting to view some object or another.

Races: Gnomes are the most common Glyph Carvers, though elves and humans follow closely behind.

Hit Die: 1d6

Class Skills: (unfinished) Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Forgery, Gather information, Hide, Knowledge (all skills taken individually), Listen, Sleight of Hand, and Spot.

Level    BAB      Fortitude Save   Reflex Save   Will Save      Special         Glyph Known   Glyph Inspiration   Ritual Tattoos
1        +0           +0               +0            +2         Artist's Touch   3             3                   1
2        +1           +0               +0            +2                          4             3                   1
3        +2           +0               +0            +2                          5             3                   1
4        +3           +0               +0            +2         Artist's Touch   5             4                   2
5        +3           +0               +0            +2                          6             4                   2
6        +4           +0               +0            +2                          6             4                   2
7        +5           +0               +0            +2         Artist's Touch   7             4                   2
8        +6           +0               +0            +2                          7             4                   2
9        +6           +0               +0            +2                          8             4                   2
10       +7/+1        +0               +0            +2         Artist's Touch   8             5                   3
11       +8/+2        +0               +0            +2                          9             5                   3
12       +9/+3        +0               +0            +2                          9             5                   3
13       +9/+3        +0               +0            +2         Artist's Touch   10            5                   1
14       +10/+4       +0               +0            +2                          10            5                   3
15       +11/+5       +0               +0            +2                          11            5                   3
16       +12/+6/+1    +0               +0            +2         Artist's Touch   11            6                   4
17       +12/+6/+1    +0               +0            +2                          12            6                   4
18       +13/+7/+2    +0               +0            +2                          12            6                   4
19       +14/+8/+3    +0               +0            +2         Artist's Touch   13            6                   4
20       +15/+9/+4    +0               +0            +2         Artist's Touch   13            7                   4       

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Glyph Carver is proficient with all simple weapons, as well as one martial weapon of his choice.

Artist's Touch:
(Though this ability has not been fleshed out yet, it's supposed to function for Glyphs as metamagic feats function for magic, adding small things like extra damage, HP leaching, expanded effect area, etc...)
Example Artist's touch -
Shorthand
Requirements: Carving level 7, sleight of hand 10
Benefit: Once per encounter, quicken a single Glyph or Accent (Standard action to swift, or swift to immediate).

But wait! There's more!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 06:39:09 PM by MasterVega »
I might be insane, but at least I\'m not deluded...

My Art! :D

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

MasterVega

• Email
Re: Glyph Carver (and Glyph Carving) [D&D3.5] - Unfinished
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 06:35:27 PM »
Glyph Inspiration: At the beginning of the day, a Glyph Carver gains inspiration for as many types of Glyphs or Accents as he has Glyph Inspiration points. He cannot gain multiple inspirations of the same Glyph at one time.
A Glyph Carver regains and redistributes Glyph Inspiration by quietly observing his surroundings, looking for "that spark".

Glyphs - Glyphs are symbols that the Glyph Carver must carve in order to invoke different effects. Glyphs are very much like landmines in that they are placed deliberately where an enemy is expected to be, and triggered whenever a foe enters within a certain distance of them. As these glyphs are tied to the will of the Carver, a friend cannot trigger them.
Glyphs may be carved in advance of a battle up to 1hour/carver level, but until the glyph is activated or disarmed the Glyph Carver may not regain the inspiration used on that glyph.
Range-based triggers: Most Glyphs have range-based triggers, though some can be activated manually by the carver. The distance listed under the trigger section is the maximum trigger distance available. To make a trap more effective, the trigger distance may be reduced by increments of 5ft (to a minimum of 5ft) when the carver carves the Glyph.

Note: the duration noted in Glyph entries is the duration of the effect that manifests.

Accents - Accents are quick and temporary add-ons to Glyphs. Only one accent, plus one for every 5 carver levels, may be added to any one Glyph. When an accent is attached to a glyph, the inspiration used on the accent cannot be regained until the Glyph is activated or disarmed.

Tattoos - Tattoos are inked paintings upon the Carver's skin that grant him constant effects. Only one may be active at a time. To deactivate one and activate another is a swift action.

Disarming a Glyph: To Disarm a Glyph, the Glyph Carver who created it need only expend a swift action to end his tie to it. Anyone trying to disarm an unconscious (friendly) Glyph Carver's Glyphs must make a disable device check (DC10+glyph level+Glyph Carver's Intelligence modifier). Failure activates the trap.

Concealing Carving: Carving in front of your enemies is normally woefully ineffective, as the enemy is immediately aware of the Glyph you have placed, however a skilled Glyph Carver may conceal his action to carve by making a sleight of hand check against his opponent's spot check.

Concealing a Glyph: Though glyphs are not especially visible in the heat of battle, particularly sharp enemies can spot them with ease (DC10+glyph level+carver's intelligence modifier). To conceal a Glyph, a carver may spend a standard action to quickly hide a glyph using his skill ranks in hide. The new result must be taken even if it is lower than the Glyph's normal spot DC.

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 06:35:54 PM »
Wind [slashing/sonic]:

(Level One Carvings and Tattoos)

Flourish of Daggerwind -- (Glyph)
Level: Glyph Carver1
Initiation Action: 1 Standard Action
Range: 5ft
Activation Trigger: Foe passes within 20ft radius
Target: One 5ft square
Duration: instantaneous
Unaware of the swirling seraphs and dagger-edged lines beneath his feet, your hapless foe finds himself attacked by several small invisible blades at once.
Effect: A single enemy who enters this Glyph's trigger range is attacked by the Glyph using your ranged bonuses and takes 1d6+1/carver level points of slashing/sonic damage.

Seal of the Gust -- (Accent)
Initiation Action: Swift
Target: One Glyph
Duration: As Glyph placed upon
To the Glyph of your choice, you add the angelic cursive of the Wind Glyphs, causing it to take on aspects of the wind.
Effect: Any Glyph with this seal added into its carvings gains the damage properties of Wind (slashing/sonic) in addition to its ordinary damage properties. For each property it already shares, the Seal of the Gust adds one additional point of damage per two carver levels.

Mark of the Wind Dancer -- (Tattoo)
Target: Self
Duration: Until another tattoo is activated.
Elegant weavings of ink swirl about the skin on your legs, depicting the wind as it blows across the plains. This magical work of art quickens your pace greatly.
Effect: While active, this tattoo increases your movement speed by 10ft.

(Level Two Carvings and Tattoos)

Symbol of Whirlwind -- (Glyph)
Level: Glyph Carver2
Initiation Action: Standard
Activation Trigger: Foe entry within 30ft, or immediate action by carver (decided upon carving)
Duration: Instantaneous
As your foes try to charge through the bottleneck, aware of their disadvantage, they are pitifully unwary of the deadly mark on the walls of the canyon. Cutting wind bursts forth and tears through their ranks, killing the weak and injuring the strong enough to seal their fates.
Effect: A 30ft cone of wind fires into the triggering enemy (or in the direction of the Carver's choosing, if he chose to activate the glyph himself instead), dealing 2d6 slashing/sonic damage.

Seraph of Pressure -- (Accent)
Adding these tightly wound cords of wind to a seal grants it an increased punch, allowing it to push foes about.
Effect: Any Glyph with this accent added into its carvings gains, in addition to its normal effects, a bullrush attempt against any foe effected. This bullrush attempt uses your Carver level as a bonus, and if it succeeds you may push your foe 5ft in a direction of your choice. If this accent is added to a Glyph that already initiates a bullrush attempt, instead add 2 to the bonus, and allow the target to be moved an extra 5ft (as per bullrushing rules.)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 06:39:36 PM by MasterVega »

Current PbP Games:

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 06:36:18 PM »
Water [Cold/Bludgeoning]:

Carving of the Rushing Wave -- (Glyph)
Level: Glyph Carver 1
Activation Trigger: Foe entry within a 10ft radius
From the carvings in the wall, a torrent of water runs forth and crashes into your foe, damaging and knocking him back.
Effect: Water pours forth from your glyph and attacks one enemy within 10ft of it (and utilizes your ranged bonuses for this attack), dealing 1d6 cold/bludgeoning damage and initiating a bullrush against the foe with a bonus equal to your initiator level. If the bullrush succeeds, the enemy is pushed five feet in the direction of your choosing.

Seal of the Waves -- (Accent)
To the Glyph of your choice, you add the wavy, flowing signature of the Water Glyphs, causing it to take on aspects of the water.
Effect: Any Glyph with this seal added into its carvings gains the damage properties of Water (Cold/Bludgeoning) in addition to its ordinary damage properties. For each property it already shares, the Seal of the Waves adds one additional point of damage per two carver levels.

Sign of the Swaying Waters --  (Tattoo)
Duration: Until another tattoo is activated.
Depictions of the waves and tide are drawn about your chest, granting you incredible fluidity in close combat.
Effect: Gain +2 AC against melee attacks whenever this tattoo is active.

Signature of Flurry --  (Glyph)
Activation Trigger: Foe entry within 20ft radius, or immediate action by carver (decided upon carving)
A flash of cold weather freezes everything within a large distance.
Effect: When this trap is sprung, a flurry of ice shoots forth, creating a small blizzard on the battlefield and dealing 2d6 cold/bludgeoning damage (Fortitude DC12+intelligence modifier for half damage).

Aspect of Frost -- (Accent)
The cutting of wind, the burning of fire, the crushing weight of the earth, all share the bite of frost when this symbol is added.
Effect: Alter the saving throw prompted by the Glyph this accent is placed upon into a fortitude save. In addition, add 1d6 cold/bludgeoning damage to the normal damage of the Glyph.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 06:39:50 PM by MasterVega »

Current PbP Games:

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 06:37:07 PM »
Fire [fire/Piercing]:

Carving of the Scorching Blast -- (Glyph)
Activation Trigger: Foe entry within a 10ft radius, or immediate action by carver (decided upon carving)
Target: One 5ft square.
You watch with anticipation as your enemies travel over the path. What they do not know is that, beneath the thin layer of soil, you have carved a seal in preparation for your ambush. As they cross over your handiwork, you detonate your creation, injuring all parties and disorienting them long enough for you and your comrades to charge in.
Effect: An explosion occurs when this Glyph is activated, engulfing everything in a 10ft radius in flames dealing 1d6+1/carver level in fire/piercing damage (reflex DC11+intelligence modifier for half-damage).

Brother of the Embers -- (Tattoo)
Duration: Until another tattoo is activated
Emblazoned across your cheeks, and perhaps around your eyes, fire burns as though it came from your mind... and perhaps it does.
Effect: As long as this tattoo is active, add a number of fire/piercing damage equal to your carver level to all of your melee attacks.

Seal of the Flame -- (Accent)
To the Glyph of your choice, you add the erratic and abrupt calligraphy of the Fire Glyphs, causing it to take on aspects of fire.
Effect: Any Glyph with this seal added into its carvings gains the damage properties of Fire (Fire/Piercing) in addition to its ordinary damage properties. For each property it already shares, the Seal of the Flame adds one additional point of damage per two carver levels.

Rune of the Relentless Serpent -- (Glyph)
Activation Trigger: Foe Entry within a 30ft radius.
Duration: 1 round/2carver levels
A fiery python leaps out of the rune and constricts your foe. Though it does not hamper the enemy's movement, the heat is enough to bring him down.
Effect: A serpent made of fire attacks a foe who comes within 30ft of the rune (using your normal ranged attack bonuses), and attempts to grapple him. This grapple check uses your carving level as a bonus, and if successful does not hamper the foe's movement or actions at all. Instead, it deals 2d6+1/carver level in piercing/fire damage to him every round for a number of rounds equal to one-half your carver level.

Symbol of the Overwhelming Flames -- (Accent)
This Symbol adds great power to the Glyph it is written on.
Effect: The DC to resist any Glyph upon which this symbol is added increases by 2. The damage caused by the Glyph increases by 1xthe glyph's level.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:15:38 PM by MasterVega »

Current PbP Games:

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 06:37:29 PM »
Earth [Bludgeoning/Sonic]:

Marking of the Fault -- (Glyph)
Activation Trigger: Foe entry within 10ft radius, or immediate action by carver (decided upon carving)
When your unfortunate foe charges you, and fails to notice your trap, he soon finds the earth beneath him unsteady as rocks bash against his legs to bring him down.
Effect: Any foe within a 10ft radius is assaulted by earthen debris, dealing 1d6+carver level in bludgeoning/sonic damage (reflex DC11+intelligence modifier for half-damage), as the ground beneath him shakes. If a target fails the save for half-damage, he also falls prone.

Seal of the Quake -- (Accent)
To the Glyph of your choice, you add the course and dense printing of the Wind Earth, causing it to take on aspects of the earth.
Effect: Any Glyph with this seal added into its carvings gains the damage properties of Earth(Bludgeoning/sonic) in addition to its ordinary damage properties. For each property it already shares, the Seal of the Quake adds one additional point of damage per two carver levels.

Stonefoot -- (Tattoo)
Duration: Until another Tattoo is activated.
Jagged rocks and round boulders have been painted onto your feet and ankles, making them appear as though the flesh was stone itself and granting you increased durability.
Effect: As long as this tattoo is active, you gain DR1/2 your carver level.

Mark of Fissure -- (Glyph)
Activation Trigger: Foe entry within 30ft radius, or immediate action by carver (decided upon carving)
A crack originates from the carving, growing deeper as it advances toward your foe.
Effect: When this Glyph is triggered, it fires a 30ft line attack ward the nearest foe, or in the direction you designate. This deals 2d6 bludgeoning/sonic damage to all foes within the line (reflex DC12+intelligence modifier for half-damage). Any enemy who fails the reflex save to avoid damage falls into the 10ft deep, 5ft wide ravine created by the attack.

Symbol of the Shuddering Earth -- (Accent)
Duration:[/b] As Glyph placed upon
Any power enhanced with this special rune causes the earth to tremble around its targets.
Effect: A Glyph with this accent initiates a trip attempt on any foe caught in its effect, using your Carver level as a bonus to the check. Any Glyph that already trips foes gains a +2 bonus when this accent is applied.

Okay folks! That's it for now! ... I'm off to give my brain a break. >_>
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 06:40:40 PM by MasterVega »

Current PbP Games:

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 07:34:10 PM »
As much as I like the concept (and I'll have to show this to a friend of mine who's into rune magic), wouldn't it be simpler to just create a new discipline or two for the Swordsage? The Glyphs seem to operate in a way that is certainly possible to imagine maneuvers working, the Accents again in a way that boosts could certainly operate, and the Tattoos seem to work in a way identical to stances.

The flavor is very different, but I'm not sure the mechanics need to be different at all. Even if they do, you could probably get away with simply adding on to the existing discipline system, innovating it in order to allow this new system to exist within the same rules.

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 07:44:48 PM »
Like I mentioned in the first post, I'm aware of the similarities, as it's based off of the ToB. I prettymuch am making a quirky new set of disciplines already. :P

Wouldn't adding yet another discipline to Swordsage make the class at least a little overpowered? What would you change about these to simply make them one or two new disciplines?

Anyhow, thanks for the reply and observation.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 07:55:38 PM by MasterVega »

Current PbP Games:

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 08:17:37 PM »
Like I mentioned in the first post, I'm aware of the similarities, as it's based off of the ToB. I prettymuch am making a quirky new set of disciplines already. :P

But then do you need an entirely new class, and/or rules system?

Wouldn't adding yet another discipline to Swordsage make the class at least a little overpowered? What would you change about these to simply make them one or two new disciplines?

No it wouldn't overpower the Swordsage in the least. The Swordsage isn't like the Wizard where more spell options means more power. Wizards can learn an infinite number of spells and therefore choose their prepped spells from any spells in the game. Swordsages can only learn a finite number of maneuvers. Besides, Swordsages aren't quite up to snuff with Crusaders/Warblades in my opinion anyway.

The great thing about what I would change to make them simply maneuvers/boosts/stances is this - I would change pretty much nothing. "Carving" a glyph takes some form of action, either standard or full round, and they effect an enemy within range immediately. You could carve runes onto/into your foes possibly creating more potent effects, or you could carve them into thin air for weaker AoE effects. Then for the landmine thing you could have a feat that allows runes to be carved onto a surface which last for some long duration and allow you to activate them to last for a few rounds. Basically you'd create maneuvers with the [Glyph] keyword which have their own special interactions, sort of how I did with spell-like maneuvers and illusion maneuvers, though [Glyph] maneuvers would have a lot more crunch to them.

My thoughts:

Carving of the Scorching Blast [Glyph]
Level: Swordsage 1
Initiation: 1 Standard Action
Target: One creature, or all foes within 10ft
Range: Melee, or 10ft emanation
Effect: If you carve this Glyph into a melee target you deal 10 fire damage (no save). If you carve this Glyph into the air all foes within the emanation are dealt 1d10 fire damage (reflex half).

Something like that. The feat could be as follows:

Glyphic Trapcarver
Prerequisite: Able to initiate at least 3 maneuvers with the [Glyph] keyword.
Benefit: You may spend 1 or more minutes (max 10) to carve a Glyph upon a solid surface. If you do, for each minute you spent in the carving, the effect is delayed up to 1 hour or until you choose to activate it. Once the Glyph is activated its power is used up. Upon activation the Glyph effects all targets within a 10ft radius and its effect takes place every round, for a number of rounds equal to the number of minutes you spent carving the Glyph.

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 08:30:10 PM »
That's an interesting idea indeed... Should the glyphs be swordsage only, then?

Also, how many disciplines do you think this should become then? I have four currently (as you can see). Should I compile/get rid of some of them, or keep all four as separate disciplines... possibly giving two to the swordsage, and one to each of the other martial classes?

How would the Accents work? Would there be a separate feat for them, or should they be covered under the first feat?

Current PbP Games:

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 09:07:45 PM »
That's an interesting idea indeed... Should the glyphs be swordsage only, then?

Maybe...? That's sort of a tough call, because the effects are clearly magical, but the skill to create them is pretty mundane. Then again, since the same can be said about most of the Wizard's spells in the PHB, I'd say limit them to Swordsage if only for fluff reasons. Theoretically any initiator could give up one discipline for another since on the whole they are typically balanced, though Devoted Spirit, Diamond Mind, and Iron Heart are the strongest disciplines.

Also, how many disciplines do you think this should become then? I have four currently (as you can see). Should I compile/get rid of some of them, or keep all four as separate disciplines... possibly giving two to the swordsage, and one to each of the other martial classes?

This is also sort of iffy territory. You could probably do this in any number of ways. The Wind and Fire [Glyphs] could probably be thrown into the Desert Wind discipline as part of it, just with some new mechanics. There are a few water/cold based disciplines all over the internet from that you could place the Water [Glyphs] into, and the Earth [Glyphs] could fit into the Stone Dragon discipline. I suppose you could create an entirely new "discipline" for these [Glyphs] as well. Remember that you don't have to obey the fluff of Tome of Battle if you want to use the mechanics.

You could create something called "Runecarving" which operates exactly how maneuvers/boosts/stances work, and you could make it available to all or none of the Tome of Battle classes. You could continue with your own Runecarver class which has access to all of the [Glyph] maneuvers/stances and you could allow a class with access to Stone Dragon maneuvers to learn an [Earth] subtype [Glyph] in place of a Stone Dragon maneuver. Same for Fire and Desert Wind, etc.

You could allow the Crusader and Warblade to learn [Glyph] maneuvers, but perhaps require that initiators have ranks in Craft (Glyphcarving) equal to the maneuver level, or twice the maneuver level or something.

There are many directions you could take, but I feel the simplest approach is to use the system of manevuers/boosts/stances as it already exists, make these [Glyphs] available to anyone that can already initiate martial maneuvers, and then work from there.

How would the Accents work? Would there be a separate feat for them, or should they be covered under the first feat?

Accents I envision working as boosts written like so, "The next [Glyph] you carve {does something} when you activate it." They wouldn't target any specific Glyphs, they would just add effects to the next Glyph you carve, whether as a Trap, or in the middle of combat as a "strike."

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 12:12:49 PM »
*Waves* I'm the other rune author, but don't worry about stepping on any toes. Feel free to build whatever you like :)

Couple points across all posts: The formatting isn't the easiest thing to read, especially when its comes to the table, where some of the headers wrap around. I know some people don't like it, but I prefer the [ code ] tags instead of the table ones.

Being slightly picky here, but it seems that a standard action is a short time to create some of the glyphs. This is a flavour complaint, more so than a balance one.

The target types of some of the glyphs are at odds with the text underneath them. Generally, if it attacks a square, it affects all creatures there, but the mechanical text attacks only one creature. It's probably better to standardize one way or another.

Range vs Trigger Range: There are a few glyphs where the effect of the glyph is described as being triggered and attacking a creature outside of its listed range. You probably want to make the two things the same, unless the effect range is larger than the trigger range. Otherwise, a strict DM could rule that while a glyph triggers, it does not affect the triggering creature.

Seal of the Gust (and others): A clearer explanation of what slashing/sonic (or the other split damage) damage properties is necessary. Does it mean the damage becomes 1/2 slashing, 1/2 sonic? Or simply overcomes those damage resistances?

Tattoos: The activation time is a swift, but is there a tattoo creation time or cost, or are tattoos naturally on the glyph carver?

You have several of the Earth glyphs in there twice.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 01:49:55 PM »
*Waves* I'm the other rune author, but don't worry about stepping on any toes. Feel free to build whatever you like :)
Heh, thanks. Good to hear from you.

Couple points across all posts: The formatting isn't the easiest thing to read, especially when its comes to the table, where some of the headers wrap around. I know some people don't like it, but I prefer the [ code ] tags instead of the table ones.
I'll see how that goes over.

Being slightly picky here, but it seems that a standard action is a short time to create some of the glyphs. This is a flavour complaint, more so than a balance one.
Ah, see the flavor I was going for was the glyphs don't always have to be set deep into their surfaces. A Glyph Carver in battle would likely simply scratch a glyph into the surface, activating it's magic and setting a nice, quick trap, but (only in flavor) not giving it the same lasting abilities as if it were carved deeply.

The target types of some of the glyphs are at odds with the text underneath them. Generally, if it attacks a square, it affects all creatures there, but the mechanical text attacks only one creature. It's probably better to standardize one way or another.
The target designations are for the glyphs themselves, essentially where they can be carved. The range is how far away from the Carver they may be carved.
I'm probably going to go with bkdub's idea, though, so this'll become a whole lot easier to understand.

Range vs Trigger Range: There are a few glyphs where the effect of the glyph is described as being triggered and attacking a creature outside of its listed range. You probably want to make the two things the same, unless the effect range is larger than the trigger range. Otherwise, a strict DM could rule that while a glyph triggers, it does not affect the triggering creature.
I guess, if I don't change everything into ToB disciplines, I'll have to clear that up a bit then.

Seal of the Gust (and others): A clearer explanation of what slashing/sonic (or the other split damage) damage properties is necessary. Does it mean the damage becomes 1/2 slashing, 1/2 sonic? Or simply overcomes those damage resistances?
The way that works is actually clarified in the weapons section of the PbB under "damage types". If a weapon has two damage types (IE: Bludgeoning/Slashing), it overcomes damage reduction and gains benefits as though it were the better type of damage against the creature (it would overcome DRX/Slashing, and DRX/Bludgeoning, in our example's case). A Fire/Piercing rune attacking something with fire resistance, but for some odd reason it's DR was weak to piercing, the rune would deal full damage.

As for hitting an elemental weakness, I'd guess (by the nature of combining damage types), all damage dealt by the rune would be affected by the weakness.

Tattoos: The activation time is a swift, but is there a tattoo creation time or cost, or are tattoos naturally on the glyph carver?
Tattoos have no listed cost or creation time because it would be unfair to the glyph carver for him to have them, as tattoos are essentially stances from the Tome of Battle. I suppose, with the magical nature of them, he could carve them into his skin and the scares would take on the appearance of a tattoo... or by character flavor, maybe not.

You have several of the Earth glyphs in there twice.
I do? I just looked over it and couldn't find any.

Anyhow, thanks for the critique. I'm probably going to go with bkdub's suggestion and simply make them maneuvers with glyph-y (is there an adjective form of glyph?) flavor, and the ability to be carved as traps if you have a feat. It'll make any glyph-carving character a little more balanced in combat, not having to rely on his enemies stupidly and repeatedly charging him. :P
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 01:53:24 PM by MasterVega »

Current PbP Games:

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 01:53:32 PM »
This post and the bottom three glyphs of the post above are the doubled ones.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

MasterVega

• Email
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 07:16:55 PM »
Oh! I see it now. lol

Fixed it. Thanks a bunch.

Anyhow, I'll try and decide exactly what I'm going to do with these soon.

Current PbP Games:

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 07:47:53 PM »
Also, these Glyphs should probably only be able to be carved with special tools or specific weapons. At the very least I don't think you could use a Bludgeoning weapon to carve them, and in most cases I don't see piercing weapons working all that well either. Just a couple more pennies for the issue.