Author Topic: Immediate/Swift Actions  (Read 2495 times)

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Immediate/Swift Actions
« on: November 13, 2008, 05:53:56 PM »
So I was reading the Tome of Battle again the other day, and upon reading the Shadow Sun ninja entry, I noticed something.

The text for the ninja's Flame of the Shadow Sun ability states:

[spoiler]
As an immediate action, you can shroud yourself in shimmering, dark energy that provides resistance to cold 10 until the start of your next turn. If this resistance reduces the damage you take from any attack or effect, you can take a swift action on your next turn to hurl a bolt of fiery energy with a range of 60 feet.
[/spoiler]

However, the rules for immediate actions state that using an immediate action is equivalent to using your swift action for your upcoming turn, which would make it impossible to use the bolt of energy if you had used the shield on someone else's turn.

Does this need errata? Has there been an update to immediate/swift actions? Or is the bolt only meant to be usable if you put up the shield on your own turn?

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Immediate/Swift Actions
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 05:59:26 PM »
Two ways to look at it:

1) Badly worded but obvious what the RAI is. RAW, you can't throw stuff ever.

2) The text following the specific overrides general ruling grants you an extra swift action/the ability to take a swift action (of only that type) after an immediate action (of only that type).

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 05:59:40 PM »
You only use next turn's swift action if you use an immediate action when it's not your turn.

By RAW it functions though I believe you're right, Boz and that the RAI doesn't match the RAW here.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 06:05:09 PM »
Yeah, there are really only two ways to look at it, in my opinion:

1) RAW, you can only use the bolt if you put the shield up on your own turn. This is somewhat understandable, but then why is it an immediate action to do so?

2) The ability is written poorly. You should be able to fire the bolt if you use the shield on someone else's turn.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 05:23:16 AM »
So, a working RAI interpretation would just drop the swift into a free action, considering you already paid the swift as an immediate the previous round.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 09:51:58 AM »
veekie: iff you used the ability as an immediate action -- using it as a swift action needs to make it use next round's swift action to blast as well.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
Hmm, point, maybe it was intended that if you activated the ability without knowing cold damage was incoming(aka, triggering it as a swift), you get a missile if it did soak cold?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 12:31:13 PM »
I think you just need to add this text to clarify it: "You may take this swift action even if you activated this ability at any time you could not take a swift action."

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 10:15:47 PM »
Rewording it to be a free action usable 1/round seems the most reasonable.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 02:09:00 AM »
Except that still lets you take other swift actions if you activate it as a swift action which was not the original intention (as far as seems reasonable.)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 03:48:32 AM »
Well, I don't really see a problem there, how strong is this bolt anyway? And how often can they do it?
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 03:51:14 AM »
Doesn't seem that bad. The point seems exactly that you can use it in response to being hit with a cold attack (thus assuring that the secondary ability can come into play reliably), rather than activate it on your turn and hope that you get whacked by a cold attack (which is kinda unwieldy, because you are potentially wasting a swift action).
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.