Author Topic: The Factotum's Handbook  (Read 338782 times)

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Re: The Factotum's Handbook
« Reply #440 on: October 21, 2011, 05:44:53 PM »
Hello, is it possible for a factotum 8/bard 1 to become a Sublime Chord ?

Is it consider to be able to cast 3rd-level ?

The class feature of the factotum permit to obtain the spell as spell_like abilities.
No. Having spell-like abilities doesn't qualify you for a class that has a spellcasting prerequisite--see the warlock.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #441 on: October 21, 2011, 06:20:27 PM »
Hello, is it possible for a factotum 8/bard 1 to become a Sublime Chord ?

Is it consider to be able to cast 3rd-level ?

The class feature of the factotum permit to obtain the spell as spell_like abilities.
No. Having spell-like abilities doesn't qualify you for a class that has a spellcasting prerequisite--see the warlock.

That said, there's a way to do that, anyway. There's an Eberron PrC that transforms SLAs to Inflict Spells. Not a simple solution, but it works, RAW.

Nosomatic Chirurgeon (Dragonmarked)
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Benly

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #442 on: October 28, 2011, 11:38:31 PM »
It's getting down to semantics, but I read it as the Factotum counts as a level 19 Wizard only for the purposes of said ability, and spellcasting is a different ability than spellbook acquisition.
Correct, but you still receive the spellbook of a 19+ level wizard, which was the point.

The wizard does not have the ability to obtain a free spellbook during play. Rather, the wizard begins play with such a spellbook, so you're only getting the free spellbook if you activate the ability before starting play. Similarly she only gains the new spells when gaining a wizard level, so you'd have to have a spellbook, activate this ability, and gain a level while this ability is active to benefit from that access, which may or may not be practical depending on how your DM treats leveling up.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #443 on: October 29, 2011, 02:45:27 PM »
It's getting down to semantics, but I read it as the Factotum counts as a level 19 Wizard only for the purposes of said ability, and spellcasting is a different ability than spellbook acquisition.
Correct, but you still receive the spellbook of a 19+ level wizard, which was the point.

The wizard does not have the ability to obtain a free spellbook during play. Rather, the wizard begins play with such a spellbook, so you're only getting the free spellbook if you activate the ability before starting play. Similarly she only gains the new spells when gaining a wizard level, so you'd have to have a spellbook, activate this ability, and gain a level while this ability is active to benefit from that access, which may or may not be practical depending on how your DM treats leveling up.
Hey, I'm just abusing the hell out of RAW. RAI and houserules just confuse things.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #444 on: October 29, 2011, 06:43:51 PM »
I think the begins play thing is important though... copying the ability does nothing unless you're just beginning play right then.

Then again, this means if you take your first Wizard level after you start play (maybe you're doing MT or Anima Mage) you wouldn't get a book, by RAW.  So, either way it's all screwy.

JaronK