Author Topic: The Factotum's Handbook  (Read 338806 times)

Hallack

• Hong Kong
Re: The Factotum's Handbook
« Reply #360 on: March 10, 2011, 08:05:05 PM »
Spellwarped Template if it is available.
Placeholder - T'tosc

GrokThis

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #361 on: March 10, 2011, 08:15:27 PM »
Thanks for the input all. Phrenic is great choice, but we won't be using psionics, and Spellwarped, I think, is a +3. I like the Primordial half-ogre idea; the back story would need a little revision, but I think the DM would go for it. Thanks again for the suggestions everyone, your help is appreciated immensely.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #362 on: March 10, 2011, 08:53:14 PM »
Drat.  On the bright side, Arcane Dillitant is noted as being (Sp), so the 3.5 version (just found it in MM) would indeed apply to three spells per day... though not your highest level spells.  By level 16 it can only quicken 4th level spells, which is not so hot, but by level 20 it applies to 6th level spells (which is nearly your maximum).  So, obviously not nearly as good, but might be worth taking at high levels.

JaronK
Pretty sure you have to select the Sp when you pick the feat too,making it not a great idea.
Yeah. I'd go with Quicken Spell-Like Ability (Arcane Dilettante), so you could use it 3/day.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #363 on: March 10, 2011, 09:19:53 PM »
Pretty sure you have to select the Sp when you pick the feat too,making it not a great idea.

Arcane Dillitante is the Sp ability you pick for it, so you're good to go.  You just can't use it when you're duplicating spells of too high a level (which is annoying, but if you can get your caster level up the restrictions aren't too bad.  Bloodlines?).

JaronK

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #364 on: March 11, 2011, 05:05:22 PM »
Cute. Mechanics-wise a half-orc Factotum isn't a good idea, but the back story gives it some nice flavor. That's why I'm looking for a low LA template to help offset the Int penalty. We aren't playing heavily optimized characters; we're going more for a story driven game.

If you insist on something that's an Orc, but works as a Factotum, go for that Orc-like race from Races of Destiny. They're Orcs, but with +1 LA, +2 INT, and some barely useful things.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #365 on: March 11, 2011, 08:57:09 PM »
Cute. Mechanics-wise a half-orc Factotum isn't a good idea, but the back story gives it some nice flavor. That's why I'm looking for a low LA template to help offset the Int penalty. We aren't playing heavily optimized characters; we're going more for a story driven game.

If you insist on something that's an Orc, but works as a Factotum, go for that Orc-like race from Races of Destiny. They're Orcs, but with +1 LA, +2 INT, and some barely useful things.
Or just reflavor a dragonborn dwarf or something.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #366 on: March 12, 2011, 01:38:45 AM »
Since ability types is always a fun topic, but important for Cunning Brilliance, I thought it might be important to note that the FAQ does address this saying "anything that lacks a clear supernatural element should be fair play."  While that's not clear cut on the joy that is spellcasting, it should cover all the other stuff that DMs might not be sure about, such as Sneak Attack.

JaronK

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #367 on: March 14, 2011, 12:00:47 PM »
Much as I like SA, I prefer the 10-11 Fighter Bonus Feats. :D
And the Knight's Challenge, and Rogue Special Abilities.

Versatility is KING.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #368 on: March 14, 2011, 09:28:58 PM »
Yeah, Fighter Bonus Feats and Martial Maneuvers are my favorites for that sort of thing.

JaronK

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #369 on: March 14, 2011, 09:47:56 PM »
Does it work with racial progressions?

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #370 on: March 14, 2011, 09:58:30 PM »
It says "standard classes" which means base classes.  So, no.

JaronK

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #371 on: March 14, 2011, 10:07:41 PM »
It says "standard classes" which means base classes.  So, no.

JaronK
To be anal-retentive about it, 'standard classes' has no actual RAW meaning...

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #372 on: March 14, 2011, 11:49:50 PM »
Actually it does.  PHBII makes it clear.  The DMG uses the terminology too, IIRC.  Check out PHBII page 4, 5, and 31.  It's unclear whether an ACF or variant still counts as a "Standard Class" but I suspect that class variants (like the Cloistered Cleric) are not standard... not sure though.

JaronK
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:52:10 PM by JaronK »

Waldham

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #373 on: April 20, 2011, 10:24:28 AM »
I have a question about an epic factotum.

What are the class abilities ?

For the arcane spells, does the factotum access to the 8th, 9th, 10th spell level ?

Can a factotum do a research on a epic spell ?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #374 on: April 20, 2011, 04:24:03 PM »
I have a question about an epic factotum.

What are the class abilities ?

For the arcane spells, does the factotum access to the 8th, 9th, 10th spell level ?

Can a factotum do a research on a epic spell ?

To answer these: It was made during a time when they discontinued the Epic class rules. As such, it has no class features beyond 20th level.

So no, they can't research Epic spells. They can't qualify for the Epic Spellcasting feat.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #375 on: April 30, 2011, 05:43:20 PM »
The book is dirtier than the movie.
Not available in High School libraries ...  :p

Mister Lamp

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu Fhtagn
« Reply #376 on: May 05, 2011, 07:42:24 PM »
Are there any specific magic items which are really useful for factotums?
That was somewhat misleading on my part. Think of it as self-confidence, self-image, the ego, and other such things, not people skills. Someone with a low Charisma who goes insane is probably suffering crippling self-doubt or has a skewed perception of him/herself (or, given the power of the entities in the Cthulhu mythos, an accurate perception of his or her place in the universe).

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #377 on: May 05, 2011, 10:48:07 PM »
Are there any specific magic items which are really useful for factotums?

Open up your MiC to a random page. 40% of the time, you will find an item on that page that a Factotum can make decent use of.

Joking aside, Staves. Especially custom ones.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Mister Lamp

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu Fhtagn
« Reply #378 on: May 05, 2011, 10:54:10 PM »
I have used the MiC trick before, no joke.

thanks. aside from immovable rods, i am running out of ideas. I will be looking at staves then, any in particular?
That was somewhat misleading on my part. Think of it as self-confidence, self-image, the ego, and other such things, not people skills. Someone with a low Charisma who goes insane is probably suffering crippling self-doubt or has a skewed perception of him/herself (or, given the power of the entities in the Cthulhu mythos, an accurate perception of his or her place in the universe).

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #379 on: May 06, 2011, 12:01:04 AM »
I have used the MiC trick before, no joke.

thanks. aside from immovable rods, i am running out of ideas. I will be looking at staves then, any in particular?

If you can get custom ones, do so. Otherwise, look for ones that have spells mentioned in the Wizard Handbook, or at the start of this handbook (since you can't prepare more than one of each, redundancy is good).

Rod of Surprises (MIC), Robe of Useful Items (DMG), Feather Token (Tree, DMG), and Rod of Ropes (CM).

[spoiler][/spoiler]