Author Topic: The Factotum's Handbook  (Read 338775 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: The Factotum's Handbook
« Reply #340 on: February 15, 2011, 10:22:43 PM »
I just found an fun feat in Dungeonscape for Factotums.  It's Undermountain Tactics, requiring that you're a Dwarf or Gnome (or BAB +6 and Knowledge Dungeoneering 2), so it's extremely easy to get as a Whispergnome anyway.  It's the first maneuver that's so great, called Stair King.  Any time you have high ground over your opponent (Greater Floating Disk?) and hit your opponent twice in a round, they have to make a Balance check (DC 10+Str modifier) or fall prone.  They can forgo a move action next round to auto succeed... but that's irrelevant, because just like Grease they're balancing and thus flat footed.  Thus, at higher levels, as long as you can hit twice, your opponents are always flat footed against the third and subsequent attacks.  Combo with Blurstrike to flat foot them on the first hit as well.  Great for any TWF Factotum who can generate lots of hits.

JaronK

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #341 on: February 16, 2011, 12:55:53 AM »
IIRC, there's a trick from Rules compendium you can play with Sleight of hand on a dagger to make a dude flatfooted 1/encounter.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #342 on: February 16, 2011, 09:30:40 AM »
IIRC, there's a trick from Rules compendium you can play with Sleight of hand on a dagger to make a dude flatfooted 1/encounter.
Hidden Blade, Complete Scoundrel. Pretty sure there are no skill tricks in Rules Compendium.
EDIT: Turns out there's indeed something like that in RC, it's just not a skill trick, but a regular use of the skill. Interesting.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #343 on: March 02, 2011, 10:21:19 AM »
Just found another amazing feat in Fiendish Codex II (god this book has some gems!).  Mark of Avernus lets you use a spell like ability (or attack) as an Immediate action once per encounter.  The hard part is that it requires Brand of the Nine Hells as a prerequisite, which is no easy feat to get.  Still, if you can swing it the ability to cast any of your spells as an immediate action is pretty freakin' nice... and this way you don't need to spend 3 IPs for rapid casting.

JaronK

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #344 on: March 02, 2011, 11:06:36 AM »
Immediate Action Geas, what?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Eviltedzies

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Live life. Otherwise you have none.
    • Email
« Reply #345 on: March 02, 2011, 11:42:12 AM »
Quote from: McPoyo
Immediate Action Geas, what?
"Lelouch vi Britannia commands you... OBEY ME WORLD!" :lol
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:51:11 AM by Eviltedzies »
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.
It is truly a neverending cycle of nightmares.
Yet that is what we have been given.
Find your dreams where you may.
And live life like no other.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #346 on: March 02, 2011, 03:23:31 PM »
Just found another amazing feat in Fiendish Codex II (god this book has some gems!).  Mark of Avernus lets you use a spell like ability (or attack) as an Immediate action once per encounter.  The hard part is that it requires Brand of the Nine Hells as a prerequisite, which is no easy feat to get.  Still, if you can swing it the ability to cast any of your spells as an immediate action is pretty freakin' nice... and this way you don't need to spend 3 IPs for rapid casting.

JaronK
Biggest problem is, IIRC, that it can only be obtained via DM fiat or being a devil.  The Mark of X feats are all pretty good because of that.
Planetouched Handbook

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #347 on: March 02, 2011, 03:40:06 PM »
Biggest problem is, IIRC, that it can only be obtained via DM fiat or being a devil.  The Mark of X feats are all pretty good because of that.

Exactly, hence my comment about how the prerequisite feat was really hard to get.  You've got to perform a major service for the Lord the First of hell, and what counts as a major service is up to the DM.

JaronK

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #348 on: March 04, 2011, 01:33:57 AM »
...so I was looking through Fiend Folio.  And I happened on Quicken Spell Like Ability, on page 11.  And you know what it says?  For no prerequisites, this feat lets you quicken each of your spell like abilities once per day.  Since Arcane Talent gives you a bunch of different spell like abilities, this is the Factotum version of Battle Blessing.

So, this feat: overpowered, or absolutely amazing?

JaronK

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #349 on: March 04, 2011, 01:38:28 AM »
Neither, it's updated 3.0.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #350 on: March 04, 2011, 01:45:03 AM »
Drat.  On the bright side, Arcane Dillitant is noted as being (Sp), so the 3.5 version (just found it in MM) would indeed apply to three spells per day... though not your highest level spells.  By level 16 it can only quicken 4th level spells, which is not so hot, but by level 20 it applies to 6th level spells (which is nearly your maximum).  So, obviously not nearly as good, but might be worth taking at high levels.

JaronK

cvbnmme4th

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #351 on: March 07, 2011, 06:54:52 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been suggested already but the Nymph's Kiss feat from BoED nets you +1 sp per level. Obviously nice for a Factotum.

GrokThis

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #352 on: March 10, 2011, 02:56:23 PM »
What would be a good +1 or +2 LA template for a half-orc Factotum that boosts Int, and possibly Dex as well (but not necessary)?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #353 on: March 10, 2011, 03:40:26 PM »
Drat.  On the bright side, Arcane Dillitant is noted as being (Sp), so the 3.5 version (just found it in MM) would indeed apply to three spells per day... though not your highest level spells.  By level 16 it can only quicken 4th level spells, which is not so hot, but by level 20 it applies to 6th level spells (which is nearly your maximum).  So, obviously not nearly as good, but might be worth taking at high levels.

JaronK
Pretty sure you have to select the Sp when you pick the feat too,making it not a great idea.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #354 on: March 10, 2011, 07:29:04 PM »
What would be a good +1 or +2 LA template for a half-orc Factotum that boosts Int?

Something that isn't Half-Orc.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

GrokThis

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #355 on: March 10, 2011, 07:42:33 PM »
Cute. Mechanics-wise a half-orc Factotum isn't a good idea, but the back story gives it some nice flavor. That's why I'm looking for a low LA template to help offset the Int penalty. We aren't playing heavily optimized characters; we're going more for a story driven game.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #356 on: March 10, 2011, 07:43:57 PM »
Them templating would be irrelevant.

Also, anything that boosts int, like Phrenic.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #357 on: March 10, 2011, 07:55:05 PM »
Intelligence paragon, probably.
Planetouched Handbook

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #358 on: March 10, 2011, 07:55:58 PM »
Cute. Mechanics-wise a half-orc Factotum isn't a good idea, but the back story gives it some nice flavor. That's why I'm looking for a low LA template to help offset the Int penalty. We aren't playing heavily optimized characters; we're going more for a story driven game.

As McPoyo stated, stuff like Phrenic works. I still say don't be a half-orc (Full Orc would be a better choice for the higher stats, but non-Orc would be best for a Factotum). Try being a Goblin, as they are decent races for non-Tank classes.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #359 on: March 10, 2011, 07:56:55 PM »
Half-Ogre from Dragon 313 and Primordial Giant from SoX.