Author Topic: The Factotum's Handbook  (Read 338754 times)

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
Re: The Factotum's Handbook
« Reply #320 on: January 09, 2011, 07:45:07 AM »
I've been busy for quite some time. That and dyndns screwing me without knowing :p
I'm back now, so I'll see what I can update.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Spells
« Reply #321 on: January 09, 2011, 08:20:21 AM »
Ok, a few things:
Truespeak
A fun little trick to annoy DMs who like to confiscate your items is to have the command words all in Truespeak. Not only is it Crazy-Prepared, but you can call him on it if he "forgets".

And a little trick I thought up: You can use Decipher Script in conjunction with Preform: Whistling (or some other preform skill) to create a musical cipher. A very tricky way to communicate, but it is a wonderfully flavorful use of the ability. A nigh unbreakable coded message unless the DM metagames.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #322 on: January 09, 2011, 09:52:43 AM »
Ok, a few things:
Truespeak
A fun little trick to annoy DMs who like to confiscate your items is to have the command words all in Truespeak. Not only is it Crazy-Prepared, but you can call him on it if he "forgets".
Or Darkspeech :)
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

geniussavant

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #323 on: January 09, 2011, 01:27:02 PM »
. . . That and dyndns screwing me without knowing :p . . .
Too bad you failed your knowledge check, otherwise that could have been fun  ;)
[spoiler]
I see that you want to solve problems. Not problems like, "What is beauty?," because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of 'philosophy'. You want to solve practical problems. F'r instance, how are you gonna stop some big, mean Mother Hubbard from tearing you a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: Use a gun. And if that don't work? Use more gun.
And if that fails try this

[/spoiler]

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #324 on: January 10, 2011, 10:40:36 AM »
. . . That and dyndns screwing me without knowing :p . . .
Too bad you failed your knowledge check, otherwise that could have been fun  ;)

[OT]
That sucker had internet security, or something like that, turned on and it was flagging this site as malicious for some GODDAMN REASON. It'd be fun, but it screwed one play-by-post game I participate in, BAD.

And yeah, I know you meant something completely different, but, hey :p I had to say it.
[/OT]
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Pigdestroyah

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #325 on: January 29, 2011, 01:11:53 AM »
Hey guys, first post after joining these forums, just wanted to say awesome work on the handbook guys, after reading through the progression it seems to have really come together.
Was just looking for some help/advice, my mates and I are starting up a 3.5 campaign, and I've elected to be the standard "fifth member"/skill monkey/party face etc etc, hence why I've chosen the factotum. RPing wise, this is totally fine. But in combat, I've had a hard time increasing the factotums damage output... I will probably be trying to maximise IF output, and with that in mind what would you suggest as to a preferred style of attack for this type of factotum? Would you either go the standard single gnomish quickblade, a TWF variant or some sort of thrower build. I would prefer to be straight factotum to keep the RP abilities high (mostly cunning knowledge)

Thanks in advance  :)

Xavier319

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #326 on: January 29, 2011, 09:42:54 AM »
I had success playing a factotum that carried quickblade, several other weapons, as well as throwing weapons (throwing hammers for increased range inc).  Once you get higher level you can either pick up quick draw or use least return crystals to simulate it on the hammers.  As well as getting a buckler with a wand chamber with a wand of swift invisibility, or another spell that grants concealment or some other way that makes them flat-footed.  Just my two cents.

Pigdestroyah

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #327 on: January 30, 2011, 02:32:10 AM »
I had success playing a factotum that carried quickblade, several other weapons, as well as throwing weapons (throwing hammers for increased range inc).  Once you get higher level you can either pick up quick draw or use least return crystals to simulate it on the hammers.  As well as getting a buckler with a wand chamber with a wand of swift invisibility, or another spell that grants concealment or some other way that makes them flat-footed.  Just my two cents.

Whisper gnome i take it?

And did you TWF that quickblade/Rapid shot those throwing weapons, or did you get by just fine with one?
I'm asking because feats are extremely limited for the character right now :P Well at least... they FEEL extremely limited :)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #328 on: February 03, 2011, 06:09:19 PM »
Factotums make decent archers, what with adding +Int to each shot (and getting lots of shots). Note that this tends to require a lot of Inspiration Points, however.

You might also consider a dip into swordsage and taking the Shadow Blade feat. Adding Str, Int, AND Dex to your attacks (and using sneak attack + Craven) can really add up quickly.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #329 on: February 03, 2011, 06:19:52 PM »
Greater Manyshot (get some sort of precision damage), Cunning Insight to offset the penalty (and at higher levels, give a bonus) to hit. Knowledge Devotion is also a nice feat to have in this kind of build. Craven already mentioned... It can hit pretty hard. Also, poisons. What else? o:
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #330 on: February 03, 2011, 06:32:34 PM »
Greater Manyshot (get some sort of precision damage), Cunning Insight to offset the penalty (and at higher levels, give a bonus) to hit. Knowledge Devotion is also a nice feat to have in this kind of build. Craven already mentioned... It can hit pretty hard. Also, poisons. What else? o:
Any buff spells you can think of. If you can get DMM: Persist and Extend, there's always scrolls of bull's strength, fox's cunning, and cat's grace (for +6 to damage and a crapton of other benefits).

Power Attack works alright, but it's best on a two-hander.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #331 on: February 03, 2011, 06:34:04 PM »
Oh, and a 1 level dip in any of the initiator classes works wonders (maybe add some warblade and swordsage both?).

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #332 on: February 04, 2011, 02:35:32 AM »
Assassin Stance is pretty beastly, and if you want to consider Wis in your build, Swordsage 2 is nice aswell. Which might happen if you want to go for Chameleon.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #333 on: February 04, 2011, 11:34:15 AM »
Plus, the INT to AC feats that change AC Bonus for Monks are often allowed by DMs to work with Swordsages.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

GrokThis

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #334 on: February 04, 2011, 02:19:39 PM »
Plus, the INT to AC feats that change AC Bonus for Monks are often allowed by DMs to work with Swordsages.

Kung Fu Genius is one; what others are there?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #335 on: February 04, 2011, 02:36:49 PM »
Carmendine Monk?

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #336 on: February 04, 2011, 04:43:44 PM »
Carmendine Monk?

That requires taking levels of Monk. Though 1 level for IUS and Stunning isn't bad.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #337 on: February 04, 2011, 04:46:37 PM »
Carmendine Monk?

That requires taking levels of Monk. Though 1 level for IUS and Stunning isn't bad.
Swordsage would be better, which is why I mentioned it in conjunction with CantripN mentioning adaptations of monk feats that change their AC bonus.

Pigdestroyah

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #338 on: February 06, 2011, 06:16:13 PM »
Found something nice to go with the factotum gnomish quickblade idea.

The tactical feat Giantbane from complete warrior (specifically the Duck Underneath and Death From Below) allow you to effectively get a flat footed attack against a creature two size categories higher than you every turn they miss you while you are using a total defense action. With a reduce person or similar to get your gnome to tiny, take a total defense action and use cunning surge to give you an attack for that round. When your target misses, all you have to do is make a DC 15 tumble check and theres your IF damage ^_^
Found the nice synergy when i realised total defense is a standard action. Now which class do you all know and love that generates standard actions? :)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #339 on: February 14, 2011, 07:32:02 PM »

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]