Author Topic: The Factotum's Handbook  (Read 338831 times)

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
Re: The Factotum's Handbook
« Reply #300 on: November 25, 2010, 01:42:24 PM »
was just checking because alot of people list things like grease as getting an opponent flatfooted while as far as i was aware the deal with that was if you have less than 5 ranks in balance you only lose your Dex to AC while balancing.
Grease forces you to be balancing. While balancing you are flatfooted unless you have 5 ranks in balance.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #301 on: November 25, 2010, 04:32:20 PM »
Attacking from Hiding makes the target flat-footed in regards to that target.

Rules Compendium, page 92:

That
creature treats you as if you were invisible (see page 76).

So, just go Invisible (+20 to Hide if you are moving) to negate the penalty.
Now it's a contest between his Spot and your Hide.

After all, there is a difference in just standing in front of the target and attack or trying actively not to be detected to aim for more vulnerable spots.

So, even  more reason for 2 levels of Swordsage:
Cloak of Deception.

Also, forcing Balance checks (grease, marbles), Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Flick of the Wrist, Underfoot Combat, having a friend with White Raven Strike and so on.
It's harder to achieve Iaijutsu damage than Sneak, but there are ways.

[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #302 on: December 05, 2010, 06:55:41 PM »
Question for the handbook creator. Why are there no Reserve feats listed on here?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #303 on: December 05, 2010, 07:14:35 PM »
Question for the handbook creator. Why are there no Reserve feats listed on here?
Because those only work on spells, not SLAs.

However they DO work with SLA feats. Including Supernatural Tranformation (turns SLAs into SuAs).
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #304 on: December 05, 2010, 07:16:50 PM »

However they DO work with SLA feats. Including Supernatural Tranformation (turns SLAs into SuAs).
Interesting. That'd mean it'd get past SR.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #305 on: December 05, 2010, 07:28:36 PM »

They can do that anyway. This way costs a feat, but it can be done well before level 11.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #306 on: December 05, 2010, 08:08:21 PM »

They can do that anyway. This way costs a feat, but it can be done well before level 11.
Yeah, but it costs points.

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #307 on: December 06, 2010, 09:40:17 AM »
Factotum SLAs are class abilities, not innate, as required for supernatural transformation. Does not work.
Supernatural Transformation: One of your innate spell-like abilities becomes a supernatural ability.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #308 on: December 06, 2010, 10:07:59 AM »
Factotum SLAs are class abilities, not innate, as required for supernatural transformation. Does not work.
Supernatural Transformation: One of your innate spell-like abilities becomes a supernatural ability.

Has "innate" ever been defined? Playing the devil's advocate here, I could argue that a class ability is as innate as a racial ability.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #309 on: December 06, 2010, 10:19:05 AM »

Has "innate" ever been defined? Playing the devil's advocate here, I could argue that a class ability is as innate as a racial ability.

By CustServ. Which means it may or may not count.

To be honest, that feat is largely useless for most MM creatures with a playable LA. The ones that have SLAs usually have Personal-range or Buff abilities. The feat itself is made for Warlocks.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #310 on: December 09, 2010, 08:12:03 AM »

I believe "innate" is generally used to mean "not added by any outside source, such as spells, items, auras, or any temporary benefit."  Internal, if you will.  That would make class abilities count.  But I'm not totally sure about that.

JaronK

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #311 on: December 09, 2010, 08:24:53 AM »

I believe "innate" is generally used to mean "not added by any outside source, such as spells, items, auras, or any temporary benefit."  Internal, if you will.  That would make class abilities count.  But I'm not totally sure about that.

JaronK

"Innate" as used by the feat "Supernatural Transformation" refers to Spell-like abilities gained from Race ... it has been covered by the FAQ

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #312 on: December 09, 2010, 05:16:58 PM »
Ah, good to know.  Does that include templates?  One would hope so...

JaronK

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #313 on: December 09, 2010, 05:41:42 PM »
Ah, good to know.  Does that include templates?  One would hope so...

JaronK

An inherited template is certainly a part of your race.  Maybe on acquired.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #314 on: December 09, 2010, 05:45:25 PM »
I wonder if the Collar of Umbral Metamorphesis or Polymorph give you temporary inherent abilities...

JaronK

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #315 on: December 10, 2010, 12:19:30 AM »
Eyes of the Avoral from BoED grants a +8 racial bonus to Spot.  :lol

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #316 on: December 10, 2010, 09:23:47 PM »
Become a psion from a psionic race. Supernatural Transformations (psionics) = No SR, no XP.

Alternately, psionic mind flayer + telepath.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #317 on: January 03, 2011, 12:37:55 AM »
Imperious Command DotU: This feat is so good that it will devastate any opponent that is not immune to fear effects. First of all, a cowering foe will be unable to act, thus denying your opponents of firepower by using this feat alone. Because this feat makes a demoralized opponent to cower in the first round and be shaken afterwards, you (by using the fearsome enhancement or cunning surge) or your allies can coup-de-grace demoralized targets. This feat is very good along with the Never Outnumbered skill trick.

Cowering does not make them eligible for CdG by itself. It's saddening, I know. Imperious Command is still awesome, it's just not stab-you-in-the-face awesome.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #318 on: January 03, 2011, 12:56:25 AM »
Imperious Command DotU: This feat is so good that it will devastate any opponent that is not immune to fear effects. First of all, a cowering foe will be unable to act, thus denying your opponents of firepower by using this feat alone. Because this feat makes a demoralized opponent to cower in the first round and be shaken afterwards, you (by using the fearsome enhancement or cunning surge) or your allies can coup-de-grace demoralized targets. This feat is very good along with the Never Outnumbered skill trick.

Cowering does not make them eligible for CdG by itself. It's saddening, I know. Imperious Command is still awesome, it's just not stab-you-in-the-face awesome.

That was already pointed out some pages ago I think, although the guide hasn't been updated in a while.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #319 on: January 03, 2011, 01:20:05 AM »

That was already pointed out some pages ago I think, although the guide hasn't been updated in a while.

Ah, didn't see that. I assumed that because it was still in the guide it had been missed.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]