Author Topic: The Factotum's Handbook  (Read 338766 times)

Torvon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: The Factotum's Handbook
« Reply #180 on: May 14, 2010, 05:02:18 PM »
I'd love to see a build section and some recommendations.

The factotum is quite flexible, I know, but still, a couple of suggestions would be great.

From the top of my head:
* one level Marshal for minor Aura (e.g. to trip attempts, or all dex checks and INI) + skill focus diplomacy
* 3 levels swashbuckler for +INT to damage (add some rogue for sneak attack, and then combine rogue and swashbuckler levels with that one feat to rock)
* psion maybe (INT synergies)

More?

Thanks
ta-ta
Quote from: Saxony
Sword Sage is like Arcane Stunt Swashbuckler on steroids with less BAB.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: May 14, 2010, 05:17:43 PM »
More?
Monk 1 with Kung-Fu Genius? :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Freshums

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #182 on: May 14, 2010, 05:34:36 PM »

More?

Warblade, for Int to Fight.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #183 on: May 14, 2010, 07:03:40 PM »
Chameleon, for AWESOME.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #184 on: May 14, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »
Chameleon, for AWESOME.
When combined with Academic Priest it is pretty SAD as well.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #185 on: May 14, 2010, 10:05:09 PM »
Iaijutsu Master for NINE LIVES BLADE WORKS.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Torvon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #186 on: May 15, 2010, 08:43:44 AM »
Chameleon, for AWESOME.

How many factotum levels would you go before going chamaeleon then? Would you try to mix the levels a bit (like 5 fac/1cha/1fac/1cha etc) ?

It seems like a lot of fun to play, especially in a group of 5 players where all the major roles are already taken (otherwise you'd be forced to go for the same route  in most cases I guess, e.g. when the group lacks a healer).

Thanks
Ta-ta
T.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #187 on: May 15, 2010, 02:08:35 PM »
Chameleon, for AWESOME.

How many factotum levels would you go before going chamaeleon then? Would you try to mix the levels a bit (like 5 fac/1cha/1fac/1cha etc) ?

It seems like a lot of fun to play, especially in a group of 5 players where all the major roles are already taken (otherwise you'd be forced to go for the same route  in most cases I guess, e.g. when the group lacks a healer).

Thanks
Ta-ta
T.

I would arrange them like the following. Fac5/Cha2/Fac3/Cha7/Fac3. This is primarily because you want the variable feat and extra standard actions as soon as you can.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2010, 06:45:51 AM »

Here's my thoughts on the Factotum/Chameleon combination.

First off, you REALLY want Factotum 8.  Extra standard actions + casting = win.  But there's a problem... it may not actually be beneficial except at a VERY small number of levels to grab Chameleon levels.  First of all you have to waste a feat (Able Learner) which is worthless for Factotums.  Second of all, you have to be Human... which means not being a Whispergnome (awesome for Factotums, especially with Complete's Warrior's racial weapon switch option).  Third, for a lot of levels you're basically worse off, because you would have been casting higher level spells as a pure Factotum 8+X anyway than as a Factotum 8/Chameleon X.   And then when you hit level 19, the Factotum 19 ability is so awesome that it's pretty much better than the entire Chameleon class if used well.

So, going Chameleon makes you strictly weaker from levels 1-8 (which are the most commonly played) and probably weaker for a number of levels after, then weaker in the end game too.  At a few levels it's better (level 10 just because floating feats are so handy, and right around level 16-18) and there's some serious potential when combined with Bloodline abuse, but I'm generally unconvinced.  Chameleon's a great class, but in many ways Factotum doesn't actually mesh well with it.  I'd rather use Binder/Chameleon or something (which works better with Bloodlines anyway).

JaronK

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2010, 01:15:21 PM »
I Think it is worth it if you are planning to make your character spell casting focused. The amazing spell casting makes chameleon worthwhile. You could pull off something similar with UMD but that is expensive.

Ferret

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #190 on: May 24, 2010, 04:18:53 PM »
Chameleon, for AWESOME.
When combined with Academic Priest it is pretty SAD as well.

Where's Academic Priest from? Dragonlance? Dragon Magazine?

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #191 on: May 24, 2010, 05:32:15 PM »
Dragonlance legends of twins IIRC, check the feat index?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #192 on: June 15, 2010, 04:53:05 AM »
I'm finding that factotum 3/swordsage 2 is quite powerful in the early game, especially with Weapon Finesse (or feycraft weaponry) and Shadow Blade.

Tons and tons of skills (though getting the houseruled +2 skill points per level helps with that). It gets Dex (and Int) to attack, Str and Dex (and Int) to damage, Dex and Int to initiative, Dex and Wis (and Int) to AC, Str or Dex as well as Int to a huge number of skills, lots of very interesting maneuvers, and that tasty factotum level bonus to skills 1/day.

I'm combining it with shapesand, a whole bunch of masterwork tools for skills, and I'm heading into a few levels of pyrokineticist (then alternating factotum and swordsage) for flaming whips and ranged "fire arrows," which can benefit quite a lot from stances and maneuvers (and are a tasty addition to a Desert Wind using pyromaniac).

I'm seriously liking this guy.

Unfortunately, Shadow Blade doesn't work with whips. It'd be nice if there was a way to make this work. I'd use the aptitude enhancement, but not with flame lash. Alas. Would one level in kensai work? Or maybe Ancestral Relic or Item Familiar?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 04:59:07 AM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Torvon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #193 on: June 15, 2010, 05:12:27 AM »
You do not get INT to damage, attack and AC normally with a factotutm.

That only applies if you use up inspiration points for boosting those stats.

And yes, since Swordsage is a TOB class, and since these classes completely rock the boat, it is powerful. I'm playing a Rogue4/Swordsage3 at the moment, and can do an average of 42 damage with soaring raptor strike every other round.

ta-ta
T.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #194 on: June 15, 2010, 12:23:46 PM »
You do not get INT to damage, attack and AC normally with a factotutm.

That only applies if you use up inspiration points for boosting those stats.
Yup. Hence adding the +Int in parentheses.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2010, 08:14:29 PM »
Was it ever clarified whether or not you can use Cunning Insight on spells like Ray of Stupidity and Shivering Touch?
If so, a link or a book and page reference would be nice.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2010, 08:44:08 PM »
Was it ever clarified whether or not you can use Cunning Insight on spells like Ray of Stupidity and Shivering Touch?

I think that this is way deep into DM's area :P
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2010, 09:58:04 PM »

I think that this is way deep into DM's area :P

Isn't Cunning Insight precision damage?

Or rather, wouldn't it fall under the same category as Weapon Specialization: Touch spells (CArc)? In which case using Cunning Insight on Shivering Touch would just add HP damage to the spell's effect.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #198 on: June 17, 2010, 02:07:02 AM »
No it is not precision damage it just adds damage based on your int score.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #199 on: June 17, 2010, 06:38:27 AM »

Sure, in the rules for Factotums.  It says a damage roll.  Both those spells do damage, and that damage is determined by a roll.  It's actually clear RAW.  Whether it's RAI or not is of course always up for debate, but as written a Factotum can add his or her Int to any damage roll, not just hit point damage.

And it should be mentioned that Factotums mix with Swordsages better than most classes (including Rogue).  The skill boosting abilities go great with certain maneuvers (such as Sapphire Nightmare Blade or Emerald Razor.  The Int to Dex or Str ability goes great with the throw maneuvers.  The Swordsage's Sapphire Nightmare Blade in turn works wonderfully with Iajuitsu Focus, and Assassin's Stance can be used to fuel sneak attack based feats.  Factotum stealth combined with Swordsage teleports and invisibility also makes for an amazing pairing in lower level games (and with Darkstalker it's great in the late game as well).

JaronK