Author Topic: The Factotum's Handbook  (Read 338796 times)

Jopustopin

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Skills
« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2010, 01:28:53 AM »
    • Skills with Different Abilities DMG p.33: This is awesome, because if you change the key ability to strength or dexterity, then you can add your intelligence modifier to those checks, because of brains over brawn. This is exceptionally useful with intimidate that is keyed off strength. I remember a variant that allowed you to do strength intimidate checks, but i wasn't able to find it.

The variant was in the 3.0 book Masters of the Wild.

Obtain Familiar CA: A factotum has a caster level, thanks to arcane dilettante. This is one of my personal favorites, along with improved familiar. A familiar is a great boon to skill-monkeys. Later in the guide i will elaborate on the usefulness of the familiar.[/li][/list]

You mention elaborating on the usefulness of the familiar.  You don't have to go into great depth but what kind of familiar would be best for a Factotum?
    « Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 01:31:01 AM by Jopustopin »

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
      • Email
    Re: The Factotum's Handbook
    « Reply #161 on: April 29, 2010, 01:40:54 AM »
    Quasit, Coure Eladrin, Imp, a standard Monkey or Raven, any Elemental or Mephit.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Surreal

• Hong Kong
      • Email
    « Reply #162 on: April 29, 2010, 05:04:35 AM »
    Can a factotum use reserve feats? I seem to recall an errata or sage comment on this, but can't recall if it was for or against.
    ---
    "The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
    Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
    The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
    Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
    Alternative Class Features
    alternative ways to get class skills

Rymosrac

• Curious George
    • You were expecting?
      • Email
    « Reply #163 on: April 29, 2010, 02:39:56 PM »
    The sage was against it, the ususal "is spell-like, not spell!" stuff.  :rollseyes
    Shh. My common sense is tingling. . .

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
      • Email
    « Reply #164 on: April 29, 2010, 03:38:26 PM »
    The sage was against it, the ususal "is spell-like, not spell!" stuff.  :rollseyes

...Which is actually correct, and called out in the text of Complete Mage. For once, he did the homework.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Surreal

• Hong Kong
      • Email
    « Reply #165 on: April 29, 2010, 04:18:49 PM »
    Hmm, so a dip into Nosomatic Chirurgeon (Dragonmarked) ought to fix that then.
    ---

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
    Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities

Rymosrac

• Curious George
    • You were expecting?
      • Email
    « Reply #166 on: April 29, 2010, 09:36:36 PM »
    ...Which is actually correct, and called out in the text of Complete Mage. For once, he did the homework.

Oh, I'm certainly not disagreeing. It's a very straightforward ruling and saying othewrise would have been pathetic even for the sage. Just a little sadface.jpg, since reserve feats would certainly help the factotum get more mileage out of his "spell slots".

Surreal

• Hong Kong
      • Email
    « Reply #167 on: April 29, 2010, 09:47:22 PM »
    As I said earlier, the nosomatic chirurgeon fixes that. It allows you to convert SLAs into inflict spells, thus meeting the "spells" requisite for feats and PrCs. The prereqs are a little prohibitive though, so you'll have to weight the cost/benefit.
    ---

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
    • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
    « Reply #168 on: April 29, 2010, 10:37:42 PM »
    As I said earlier, the nosomatic chirurgeon fixes that. It allows you to convert SLAs into inflict spells, thus meeting the "spells" requisite for feats and PrCs. The prereqs are a little prohibitive though, so you'll have to weight the cost/benefit.
    Only works for Reserve feats if Inflict spells can trigger the reserve feat.  Works on Sickening Grasp, but I don't think it does for any others.
    I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
    By yes, she means no.
    That explains so much about my life.
    hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
    Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
    [/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
      • Email
    « Reply #169 on: April 29, 2010, 10:58:04 PM »
    That's true. It's useful for PrC entry, though that doesn't do much for Factotums. Warlocks get a lot more mileage.
    ---

Adam500

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
      • Email
    « Reply #170 on: April 29, 2010, 11:36:19 PM »
    Can someone answer the question I put on the end of last page? Just posting again, cause some people may have missed it due to the page flip.

zaulsiin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    « Reply #171 on: April 30, 2010, 12:23:49 AM »
    Can someone answer the question I put on the end of last page? Just posting again, cause some people may have missed it due to the page flip.

Two questions about the above comments.
    1) Where is the Fearsome enchantment from? Ive looked but I can't find it.
    2) To Coup de Grace someone they have to be helpless, but unless Im reading the SRD wrong Cowering =/= helpless. So how are you commiting a coup de grace as above?

As to question #1, the "Fearsome" enhancement can be found in at least two sourcebooks; Drow of the Underdark and Magic Item Compendium, though the pricing, requirements, and indeed even the basic functionality for them are drastically different from one source to the other.

The version in the Magic Item Compendium has to be activated (swift action, 3 uses/day), and it emits an aura of fear causing creatures to become panicked unless they make a Will save.

The version that JaronK is referencing, however, is from Drow of the Underdark, and it treats the armor as though it has armor spikes, grants a +5 to Intimidate checks, and allows the wearer to demoralize an opponent (as described in the PHB) as a move action instead of a standard action.

However, as to question #2 I haven't been able to find a definitive ruling on the "cowering == helpless" front, but it does seem to be common sense. If the target is so terrified of you that all they can do is cower in a corner in fear, there's really nothing stopping you from just hacking their throat open (or whatever) and moving on. Hopefully someone else can provide a more definitive rules-oriented response.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
      • Email
    « Reply #172 on: April 30, 2010, 01:53:50 AM »

Two questions about the above comments.
    1) Where is the Fearsome enchantment from? Ive looked but I can't find it.
    2) To Coup de Grace someone they have to be helpless, but unless Im reading the SRD wrong Cowering =/= helpless. So how are you commiting a coup de grace as above?

As to question #1, the "Fearsome" enhancement can be found in at least two sourcebooks; Drow of the Underdark and Magic Item Compendium, though the pricing, requirements, and indeed even the basic functionality for them are drastically different from one source to the other.

The version in the Magic Item Compendium has to be activated (swift action, 3 uses/day), and it emits an aura of fear causing creatures to become panicked unless they make a Will save.

The version that JaronK is referencing, however, is from Drow of the Underdark, and it treats the armor as though it has armor spikes, grants a +5 to Intimidate checks, and allows the wearer to demoralize an opponent (as described in the PHB) as a move action instead of a standard action.

However, as to question #2 I haven't been able to find a definitive ruling on the "cowering == helpless" front, but it does seem to be common sense. If the target is so terrified of you that all they can do is cower in a corner in fear, there's really nothing stopping you from just hacking their throat open (or whatever) and moving on. Hopefully someone else can provide a more definitive rules-oriented response.
    To answer question 2, check out in the rules compendium under fear effects. They changed how cowering works entirely.
    [Spoiler]
    A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
    Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
    Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
    They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
    Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
    Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
    Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
    Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
    One for the Wizard on his dark throne
    In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
    [/spoiler]

Adam500

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
      • Email
    « Reply #173 on: April 30, 2010, 04:41:55 AM »
    I actually found Fearsome a couple hours after I posted the second time, and I definitely like it.

As to the change to cowering... I can understand where the leap in logic came from (I do own the Rules Compendium and double checked against it shortly after posting the question), but it still seems to have very little basis in RAW. Cowering is very clear in what happens when a creature is cowering: -2 AC, No Dex bonus (ie flatfooted), no actions. While Helpless Defenders are counted as having Dex 0, and although subject to the same things as a flat-footed target, the condition seems to me to be quite different. This suggests to me Cowering =/= Helpless.

Am I right, or am I missing something?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
      • Email
    « Reply #174 on: April 30, 2010, 09:18:59 AM »
    It's the removal of the "will still defend themselves against attacks" clause that does it, I believe.

Edit: Also, if their dex is (treAted as) zero, the cannot move, per the "ability scores at zero" clause. If you cannot move, you cannot defend yourself in any way, which means you cannot get out of the way of a coupdegrace.
    « Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:21:29 AM by McPoyo »
    [Spoiler]
    A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
    Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
    Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
    They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
    Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
    Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
    Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
    Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
    One for the Wizard on his dark throne
    In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
    [/spoiler]

Adam500

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
      • Email
    « Reply #175 on: April 30, 2010, 05:19:40 PM »
    It's the removal of the "will still defend themselves against attacks" clause that does it, I believe.

Edit: Also, if their dex is (treAted as) zero, the cannot move, per the "ability scores at zero" clause. If you cannot move, you cannot defend yourself in any way, which means you cannot get out of the way of a coupdegrace.

The Dex=0 bit comes from the rules for Helpless combatants. Cowering just makes you lose your bonus.
    As to your first point I'm not sure cowering ever had a clause like that (I checked my PHB which is pretty old and couldn't find it). Even then it still seems like a stretch to me.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
    « Reply #176 on: May 01, 2010, 12:18:23 AM »
    Hmm, this may be one of those rules I just assumed and hadn't looked over in a while.  I was taking "Frozen in fear" to indicate something like paralysis.  From the SRD:  "The character is frozen in fear and can take no actions. A cowering character takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class and loses her Dexterity bonus (if any). "  I suppose it's not really helpless, so my mistake there.  It's still an effective tactic though... since it's easy to get an Intimidate check so high no one could possibly oppose it, you basically gain the ability to spend three IP to make any non immune enemy unable to fight back.  Note that since they take no actions, they're still flat footed next round if they haven't acted in combat yet.  Thus, you could attack an enemy in the surprise round (for IF damage), Intimidate them with Cunning Surge in the first round and then full attack them for full IF damage, then full IF damage them again in the second round (maybe even intimidate again, depending on number of enemies and IP remaining).

JaronK

Adam500

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
      • Email
    « Reply #177 on: May 02, 2010, 01:22:41 AM »
    Oh no doubt its a great tactic for stacking IF damage. Thanks for the clarification.

Wubs

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
      • Email
    « Reply #178 on: May 13, 2010, 12:31:33 PM »
    So can the factotum use Brains over Brawn on bullrush checks?  If so, then could you combine it with a massive jump check + dungeoncrasher variant to produce a dynamic dropkick on someone?  (again, all of these gain brains over brawn).

Anyway, just a thought, not sure if anyone would really optimize a factotum for this, just thought it was funny.

Rymosrac

• Curious George
    • You were expecting?
      • Email
    « Reply #179 on: May 13, 2010, 01:02:16 PM »
    Yeah, it would help with the strength check. Usually, though, dungeoncrashers are built off of the Knockback feat from RoS, using power attack (and often shock trooper / leap attack) to generate impressive modifiers. Brains over Brawn would certainly help though, and would make a non-knockback dungeoncrasher slightly more viable. You're still only getting one bull rush in per round though, without extra actions e.g. belt of battle.