Author Topic: Play by Post questions and suggestions  (Read 23539 times)

Pan-Fried Hamster

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Play by Post questions and suggestions
« on: May 20, 2008, 03:02:22 PM »
Might I suggest a LFG subforum where people can post character ideas and what sorts of games they'd be interested in?  That is, unless this turns out to be a low-traffic forum.

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Play by Post questions and suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 01:26:14 AM »
Any questions/ suggestions for this area?  Post 'em here!
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Re: Play by Post questions and suggestions
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 01:28:45 AM »
This board is for general questions about the PbP area and for people to gauge interest.  Then each game will have its own board. 

BTW- the other thread I want to keep just for posts about the games that are being run and not have questions, so hence this new shiny thread!

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 09:53:28 AM »
We should post an "official" guidelines for PbP action.

Like description in normal text, Talking in Colors, thinking in italics etc... so people that are new with PbP (like me) can get guidelines so they don't look dumb

Shigunaru

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • I am your "friend"
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 01:58:57 PM »

Like description in normal text, Talking in Colors, thinking in italics etc... so people that are new with PbP (like me) can get guidelines so they don't look dumb

Seconded
Posting guidelines. Read 'em. Use 'em. Love 'em.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 02:09:01 PM »

Seconded
Working on it as we speak :D
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 02:32:47 PM »
PbP Handbook has been stickied :sh
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 12:41:47 PM »
Can we make forums which can only be viewed by certain groups of players? It would make both my "Blind Arena" game (one forum per team) and games like Mafia much easier.

Oh, and while I doubt it is possible, can we make "sub-subforums" to organise games by DM?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 01:01:39 PM »
It's possible but hard to have boards viewable by certain people.  I'd have to create a membergroup and add each person individually which takes a bit of time.  If it's a handful of people it's not a problem (though their profile will show that they are part of this group).  If it's a ton it's not really possible.

For the second question, I don't understand?

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 01:06:57 PM »
The forum structure would look like this: PbP Games -> DM1, DM2. DM1 -> Game1, Game2. DM2 -> Game1, Game2.

If that makes sense. Basically, having a DM's name being a "forum" and all the games he's running grouped under them.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 02:16:34 PM »
It's possible but hard to have boards viewable by certain people.  I'd have to create a membergroup and add each person individually which takes a bit of time.  If it's a handful of people it's not a problem (though their profile will show that they are part of this group).  If it's a ton it's not really possible.

For the second question, I don't understand?
Well, I've done it myself for my forums, in the manner you described, and it only took a a minute or two. Granted, with the software I use, the head of a membergroup has the power to add members.

It would make things far easier for my game if Team 1 and Team 2 had forums only they could view - otherwise, we have to do everything through PMs, which is very awkward (just look at the size of the Game A and B preparation threads).
[spoiler]
Team 1

Player             Character

JanusJones(not submitted)
Tshern(not submitted)
Gojirazard(not submitted)
Akula(not submitted)
Team 2

Player             Character

Agita(not submitted)
Tazendra(not submitted)
AlterFrom(not submitted)
Nox_Noctis(not submitted)
[/spoiler]

You should give a member you can trust Admin status to deal with these things, so you don't have to do it yourself.
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 10:44:14 PM »
I would recommend including the option for private text only those specified in the tags, as well as all mods/admins can see.

Example: [private=Meg]Hi.[/private] = Meg sees me say hi, any other mods/admins see it as well, everyone else sees nothing.

It is or at least should be possible to do it with entire threads -Myth Weavers can for example simply by the thread creator clicking the appropriate radio button followed by entering names separated by semi colons.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 01:27:43 AM »
Well, I've done it myself for my forums, in the manner you described, and it only took a a minute or two. Granted, with the software I use, the head of a membergroup has the power to add members.

It would make things far easier for my game if Team 1 and Team 2 had forums only they could view - otherwise, we have to do everything through PMs, which is very awkward (just look at the size of the Game A and B preparation threads).

You should give a member you can trust Admin status to deal with these things, so you don't have to do it yourself.

I'm not ready to hand over admin status yet.  I very well may at some point, but I still need to feel everyone out. 

If each group is say under 10 people or so, I can add people to a membergroup so only they could see a board.

What is the purpose of only letting certain folks see the board though?  I think I missed that. 

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 01:28:12 AM »
I would recommend including the option for private text only those specified in the tags, as well as all mods/admins can see.

Example: [private=Meg]Hi.[/private] = Meg sees me say hi, any other mods/admins see it as well, everyone else sees nothing.

It is or at least should be possible to do it with entire threads -Myth Weavers can for example simply by the thread creator clicking the appropriate radio button followed by entering names separated by semi colons.

This came up on the meta boards-- we looked into whisper hacks but couldn't find any. 

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 01:31:22 AM »
What is the purpose of only letting certain folks see the board though?  I think I missed that. 
I believe Prime is thinking about his Blind Arena thread. If only Team 1 can see their own thread, they can build secret characters without needing e-mail or PM.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 01:32:55 AM »
Ahh... I missed that the actual character was "secret"-- that shouldn't be too hard to do.

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 01:42:09 AM »
Ok, Prime and the players in the Blind Arena, check to see if you can get into your respective boards.  Others check to make sure you can't. 

Akula

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 04:18:30 AM »
I can't even see the other team's board, I hope this is intentional and not an indication it doesn't exist. I'm going to feel less popular without the constant PM's though. :wink

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 05:06:05 AM »
Would anyone be willing to run a game of Paranoia?
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 09:23:33 AM »
Ok, Prime and the players in the Blind Arena, check to see if you can get into your respective boards.  Others check to make sure you can't. 
I only see a board called "The Blind Arena" and no team boards. Unless you are hiding the threads...
My work