Author Topic: Play by Post questions and suggestions  (Read 23527 times)

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Re: Play by Post questions and suggestions
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 10:04:28 AM »
So apparently only members of Team 1 can see our own subforum, right?

Handy Links

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 10:44:06 AM »
Ok, Prime and the players in the Blind Arena, check to see if you can get into your respective boards.  Others check to make sure you can't. 
I only see a board called "The Blind Arena" and no team boards. Unless you are hiding the threads...

I had you added as a Mod so you could see it, but now I have you added as a member of each group too.  Can you see it now?

And FYI- they are child boards of the child board Blind Arena, so you have to go to Blind Arena and then at the top of the screen you'll see "Team 1" and/or "Team 2" or nothing if you aren't a member of either group (or a Mod/Admin).
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 01:09:02 PM »
Yay!  :D
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 04:26:18 AM »
A new games wiki is now on line.  GMs send me an email (josh@brilliantgameologists.com) and I can set you up.  And if you can figure out how to use tiki wiki to have people auto register, let me know. 

It is located here:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/gameswiki
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 12:54:04 AM »
I suppose this is the best place for this...

I remember coming across (at one point) a small java-based (I think) thingy on a website. What it was was a very, very simple battlemap tool. It let you draw some lines, lay down a grid, and place objects onto the map, as well as make notes. The other thing it did was generate a code for you to send to other people so they could recreate the map as you had it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have a link?
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 04:02:19 AM »
I suppose this is the best place for this...

I remember coming across (at one point) a small java-based (I think) thingy on a website. What it was was a very, very simple battlemap tool. It let you draw some lines, lay down a grid, and place objects onto the map, as well as make notes. The other thing it did was generate a code for you to send to other people so they could recreate the map as you had it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have a link?
I know a good php map tool that lets you import maps, and has its own pregenerated ones that can be reflavoured. It holds up to 9 characters and two spreads. I just need to check with the guy who made & hosted it if he's OK with another board starting using it. Server load and all that.

EDIT: He liked the idea. The mapper is here. You need to create an account to make custom maps, but you can just do that. Hope it helps.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 09:02:44 PM by Callix »
I know gameology-fu.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 06:09:58 PM »
I have a game I run over on RPOL and I've been thinking about migrating it here since I frequent this site a lot and could better maintain that game if it were here.

The title of the Game is "CO Game 2" as it was spawned as the alternate game to Archerpwr's back on the thread at Gleemax.

Pretty please with templates on top?
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 06:13:40 PM »
You hardly need to ask, I don't think there are any complaints about having more games here.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 06:16:56 PM »
I'm inclined to say sure, but I'm biased, seeing as how I play in it ;)

If it's fine by Meg then it should migrate smoothly :P
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 06:17:08 PM »
Absolutely!  You'd have to repost stuff, but bring it over!

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 06:28:21 PM »
Well there you have it :P

To the current game thread with you. *kick* ;)
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2008, 11:51:27 AM »
Quick Announcement:

aftercrescent is now officially the moderator of the Pbp area-- any issues or suggestions or whatnot that come up will go through him first.  He's been an enormous help keeping this area active and taken care of and I want to officially hand the reigns over to him so to speak.

I'm still overall moderator for the boards, but in this area, I would defer to his judgment, so go there first.

I've also given him power to create boards himself, so now he doesn't have to wait for me, he can make new boards for games, rearrange them, make new categories- whatever he thinks works best for the area. 

So help me thank him for the great work he's put into this area!  Thank you aftercrescent!

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 03:15:32 PM »
Okay so first I want to say thanks again to Meg for giving us a PbP are so we can all enjoy playing together.

But more importantly, I was just in the general area, and you have scroll down past a whole page of child forums to get to the actual threads, and that seems kind of counter productive, and a bit like a deterrant.  So I'm thinking about making just a few category subforums (no more than 5) and putting the games into that. You know, try to keep things organized and at the same time clean up the main PbP page.

So one idea is to have it separate by settings (1-FR, 2-Eb, 3-Homebrew), but that limits it to d&d only. While I realize we currently only have D&D pbp up, I'd like that to not be a limiting factor (although I suppose we could just upgrade to (1-D&D 3.5, 2-D&D 4e, 3-GURPS, etc) when we get more games, and have the settings sub'd under D&D 3.5).

So I'm opening this to discussion/debate now. I'd like to hear he thoughts of everyone. What do you think would work best and why?

Edit: Stratovarius just suggested to me that we make one sub forum "PbP Games" and put all the child boards in that, so when you click on PbP general, you get the pregame threads and when you click on the PbP Games subforum, you'd get all the child boards listed. So yeah, add that to the possible topic of discussion.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 03:20:57 PM by aftercrescent »
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

fil kearney

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • KILLFEAR.COM
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 04:37:07 PM »
Of all the mapping programs out there, I still feel Excel is the best.  import images of your characters as digital minis, and use the drawing tool for arrows and such. 

Here's one Mittenninja, X codes, Zarzak and I have been playing in:
http://mittenninja.pbwiki.com/f/Temple9%5B1%5D.3elzahr.xls

You can scoot the minis around, put an arrow in to show action each round, etc etc etc. 
We use PBwiki as a storage site to up and download the map.. players can edit their own actions each round.

There are a few bugs now and again, but for the most part, it works pretty well. 
Just another option for you to consider.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 07:09:03 AM »
Okay so first I want to say thanks again to Meg for giving us a PbP are so we can all enjoy playing together.

But more importantly, I was just in the general area, and you have scroll down past a whole page of child forums to get to the actual threads, and that seems kind of counter productive, and a bit like a deterrant.  So I'm thinking about making just a few category subforums (no more than 5) and putting the games into that. You know, try to keep things organized and at the same time clean up the main PbP page.

So one idea is to have it separate by settings (1-FR, 2-Eb, 3-Homebrew), but that limits it to d&d only. While I realize we currently only have D&D pbp up, I'd like that to not be a limiting factor (although I suppose we could just upgrade to (1-D&D 3.5, 2-D&D 4e, 3-GURPS, etc) when we get more games, and have the settings sub'd under D&D 3.5).

So I'm opening this to discussion/debate now. I'd like to hear he thoughts of everyone. What do you think would work best and why?

Edit: Stratovarius just suggested to me that we make one sub forum "PbP Games" and put all the child boards in that, so when you click on PbP general, you get the pregame threads and when you click on the PbP Games subforum, you'd get all the child boards listed. So yeah, add that to the possible topic of discussion.

If I might make a ludicrous suggestion, I think we should combine those two ideas. [Thunder is heard and there is a high-pitched scream of a woman as a camera zooms in on her face.] I think it would help to have a Play-by-Post Games sub-forum and, within that, have additional sub-forums. This depends on how many games we have going at once, of course, but I certainly believe our goal as a forum is to expand, and being prepared for such expansion rather than having to react to it never hurt. My opinion on those sub-sub-forums would be to sort them by game (3.5, 4th, and any other games that are running).
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2008, 07:40:41 AM »
My only concern with a combination, and this is more with the categorizing than anything else, is how many categories do we want to do?  Do we just limit it to one category/game (D&D 3.5, 4e, etc) or do we have further subcategories under those (Eberron, FR)? I don't want it to end up where people have to search for a game like when you need to find that file buried within folders inside folders inside folders ad nauseam.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2008, 07:55:29 AM »
I'd say by game is fine enough. Besides, those game threads should be relatively easy to locate since they aren't the application threads. People looking for them will know what they are (to know what to look for, which pretty much equates to where to look) and/or the GM/DM can provide a link.

Also, we would have to have a lot (a lot!) of games before we would need to sub-divide the different games, I think (that is, before it actually becomes a real hassle to find your game's folder within the game format [3.5, 4th, whatever] folder).
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 09:18:34 AM »
I'm in favor of Stratovarius' idea.
What everybody potentially cares about are the threads in PbP General, so we keep them accessible. The per-campaign boards on the other hand are probably only for the DM and players - I feel like bookmarking them is the easiest solution anyway - so it's not a problem to lump them together.
And it's less work for you, aftercrescent, since you don't have to maintain the intermediate sub-forums nor check in which of those sub-forums each campaign board should be created, etc...
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Schala_Zeal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2008, 08:25:29 PM »
I agree with Strat's idea as well.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2008, 02:16:00 AM »
Sounds like those who care are in agreement, then. ;)  My next project is checking each game to see if we have any 4e games running yet. Also, I've heard some games have died, so I'll check into that too. I'm thinking of adding a PbP Retired Games child board, if we need it. Thoughts on that or further comments are welcome. Thanks to those of you who responded.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook