Author Topic: Eldritch Theurge and Eldritch Blast  (Read 18262 times)

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
Eldritch Theurge and Eldritch Blast
« on: November 13, 2008, 02:27:37 PM »
My wizard in my current campaign got vivsected by a crit from a giant, so now it's time to make a new 9th lvl character. I would like to play an Eldritch Theurge, but can't stomach the normal Warlock 3/Wizard 3 qualification, and my DM has ruled that I can't use a chausuble of fell power or something of the sort to meet the Eldritch Blast requirement.

Therefore, I come here to ask: Are there other ways to boost that EB so that I can get into Eldritch Theurge with minimal loss on my wizard side?
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Eldritch Theurge and Eldritch Blast
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 02:35:40 PM »

Practiced Spellcaster feat should do it. Complete Arcana has it I believe.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 04:49:58 PM »
How will that give 2d6 EB damage, which was, IIRC, the requirement for Eldrich Theurge?

I don't think you can meet the requirement with one level of Warlock without items.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 04:54:22 PM »

Your EB is based off your caster level. You have 1d6 from Wlk 1, and that feat lets you treat your Wiz HD as Wlk caster levels, thus ading another 1d6 = 2d6 EB.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 05:23:35 PM »
Not to be rude, Straw Man, but what is the basis of that assertion? Can you point me to where it says that EB is tied to warlock caster level and not class level?
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 05:34:42 PM »
It doesn't say that specifically, but if you go to CArc, at the beginning of the PrC chapter, it explains that +1 spellcasting PrCs increase Eldritch blast damage. It's an extrapolation of that clause, stating that Eldritch Blast damage is based off Warlock CL.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 05:58:34 PM »

AfterCrescent ninja'd me to it  :eh. But yes, it's the sections on PrC's that support that line of thought.

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 06:21:31 PM »
interesting Note:

Quote from: FAQ
What effect would the Practiced Spellcaster feat (CAr 82) have on a warlock?no benefit from Practiced Spellcaster. The warlock is not a spellcasting class for normal purposes

:D

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »

Another RAI vs. RAW uqestion? Uggh  :wall

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 06:45:40 PM »
Except the feat's benefit only talks about caster level. Warlock's have caster levels as well. But I digress. Are there any other ways to address the original problem?

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 06:48:31 PM »
will your DM allow you to address the other side of the problem:

Wizard 1/ Warlock 3

with Precocious Apprentice ... to full fill casting 2nd lvl spells

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 07:13:32 PM »
Well, he's aware that theurge type classes are typically not the greatest, so i can see him allowing that, but I would greatly prefer to focus more on the wizard side, and I apologize for not specifying that in the OP.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 07:16:50 PM »

Wizard 1/ Warlock 3

lolwut?

People are still sticking to that? >.>
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 08:22:39 AM »
Ofcourse, why not? :eh
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
It doesn't say that specifically, but if you go to CArc, at the beginning of the PrC chapter, it explains that +1 spellcasting PrCs increase Eldritch blast damage. It's an extrapolation of that clause, stating that Eldritch Blast damage is based off Warlock CL.
No shit.  I've never played a warlock long enough for this to matter.  That's awesome!

Wizard 1/ Warlock 3

lolwut?

People are still sticking to that? >.>
Was there ever a concensus on that?  I remember getting into an argument about it at gleemax over a year ago, and it seemed that both sides relied on some funny wording in the feat.  I figure it might be worth asking over here.  More signal to noise ratio if you will. ;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 10:16:51 AM by RobbyPants »
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Treantmonklvl20

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 10:33:22 AM »
Practiced Spellcaster may not increase the damage of EB (By RAW - some DM's will rule otherwise), however, it is still a good idea for increasing CL for bypassing spell resistance.

Generally - your EB won't be for Damage on a Eldritch Theurge, but instead for the secondary effects - such as a chained Noxious blast nauseating all the enemies is a lot more precise than a Stinking Cloud for example.

The Hybrid Warlock PrC's are not blasters - but are decent BC'ers.
If at first you don't succeed - maybe failure is your style.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
Could you rebuild into Hellfire Warlock?

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 01:58:59 PM »
Well, I am glad Trantmonk agrees that Eldritch Theurge can be used for battlefield control. As an aside, since I think the Practiced caster route will be ok'ed (my DM is pretty lax as long as one doesn't go overboard with something truly broken), what are some good spells to use with the theurge's spellblast ability?

anomalousman

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 08:02:42 PM »

+1 spellcasting PrCs increase spellcasting as well.  So an equivalent extrapolation would be that practiced spellcaster gives extra spell slots, spells known, etc for a sorcerer.

..in other words, I don't buy it at all.

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 08:31:14 PM »
I think that was more referring to the line saying that you use the warlock's total caster level to determine eldritch blast damage, not so much just 'cuz it was a +1 Prc