Author Topic: First-Person Shooters  (Read 6084 times)

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
Re: First-Person Shooters
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2009, 01:35:46 AM »
Yeah, I can't stand FPS on computer.  Just like RTS feels weird and out of place on console.  I need the mouse+keyboard!  Special functions!  Special functions!  BUt for FPS, the mouse would just feel weird in my hands.  With a console, I can intuitively move and look, but that's not there for me with the mouse+keyboard.

Not to sound condescending or anything, but mouse+keyboard will ALWAYS beat console for trivial things like turning speed, etc...

I'll try to find the report I read where they compared it on the original Halo.  A group of expert Halo players on X-Box versus a group of PC FPS players who weren't familiar with Halo.  The first couple rounds were a fairly even match, but as the PC group learned the maps, etc...  they began to slaughter the console players.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2009, 03:31:01 PM »
Sounds about what I would expect. The control interface from WASD and friends is just far faster to respond than the limited speed turning of a console. Allows twitch kills, which a console doesn't, and that makes all the difference in a competitive FPS.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2009, 04:30:35 PM »
See, I said nothing of speed, but intuition.  For me the pressing keys to move is just...off.  It feels weird to me.  Now, pushing, that feels better.  The one thing I will give PC set-ups is the special functions: you can have faster, better access to more of them.  Things like switching between 10 (or more, you can set it up so that you use a scroll wheel to switch what the numbers do) guns/ammo types/etc. just using the num pad, rather than pressing side on the d-pad multiple times.  But this problem goes away in games without many special functions (ignoring the possibility of added functions because of this lack of ability).  On twitch kills: not my cup of tea.  I prefer a smooth turn rather than the jerky ones.  That's one of the main reasons I don't like FPS on PC actually.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2009, 01:47:55 AM »
That doesn't seem like intuition, that's just what you're accustomed to.  Besides, mouse turning isn't all jerky unless you spaz out with the mouse.  You can get a perfectly smooth circle-strafe using mouse and keyboard, even adjusting for speed.  With a controller, that's not so easy.

And even jerky turns aren't all that bad.  If you're being shot from behind, being able to instantly spin around is extremely beneficial, as opposed to slowly turning around while the other guy keeps shooting you.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist