Author Topic: What are some good RPGs for exploring adult themes in game?  (Read 11860 times)

Shoggoth

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Re: What are some good RPGs for exploring adult themes in game?
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 05:30:56 PM »
Take at look at Bacchanal. It's free.

A post from the author duing Game Chef 2006 said: "In Bacchanal, you are thrust by dice to the fore of the stage to fabricate and describe scenes of erotic transgression. If this doesn't induce anxiety, and the game isn't with your lover alone, then you aren't doing it right."

I'm not entirely sure Bacchanal is a role-playing game, exactly. It's more like a story game, but it uses lots of dice, as tokens, tracking the score, and generating random numbers.

I once passed a copy to the Chessex manager at a con; seems like they could do well selling dice sets specifically for the game (it needs around 45 dice, with very specific colors and sides).

(Huh. Looks like My Life with Master, which I'd never heard of until this post, is by the same guy who did Bacchanal.)

Yup, MLWM and Bacchanal are both by Paul Czege.  I'd completely forgotten about it until you brought it up, despite the fact that I have a copy on my bookshelf.

Bacchanal is the sort of game that requires a group of people you are very comfortable with.  I have yet to get that group together.  It does intrigue me though.
Still came that eldritch, mocking cry - "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" and at last we remembered that the demoniac Shoggoths...had no voice save the imitated accents of their bygone masters.

Robert Bohl

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Misspent Youth
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 05:36:07 PM »
Though the final edition is not yet out, Julia Bond Ellingboe's game Tales of the Fisherman's Wife is about sex and infidelity and fidelity and tentacle sex and knitting.

Also, her other game is pretty mature. Steal Away Jordan is about slavery in the antebellum south.

In case you want to know more about some of the game I've recommended, I did interviews on my show about both Shock: and Steal Away Jordan. I also did an interview with my friend Judd Karlman about his supplement for Sorcerer, Dictionary of Mu.

Shoggoth

• Email
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 05:38:33 PM »

(Oh, yeah, I also think my game is pretty good for mature themes, even though the characters are immature.)

I think you're pretty spot on with your assessments.  My current goal is to finally get a group together to play Shock: - it's been on my shelf for the last year and a half and I still haven't played it, even though I love it do death.  It will happen soon.  I swear it.

I picked up your book at GenCon this year, BTW.  I like what I've read of it, but I haven't really dug into it yet.  I think it's because I have some lingering feelings left over from playing Cyberpunk 2020, something about the idea of punk rockers making an overt difference being a ludicrous social idea held over from the late 80's.    :rollseyes
Still came that eldritch, mocking cry - "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" and at last we remembered that the demoniac Shoggoths...had no voice save the imitated accents of their bygone masters.

Robert Bohl

• Misspent Youth
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 05:40:06 PM »
I picked up your book at GenCon this year, BTW.  I like what I've read of it, but I haven't really dug into it yet.  I think it's because I have some lingering feelings left over from playing Cyberpunk 2020, something about the idea of punk rockers making an overt difference being a ludicrous social idea held over from the late 80's.    :rollseyes
Oh it's completely juvenile and unrealistic. That's the point :).

Robert Bohl

• Misspent Youth
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 05:40:52 PM »
PS: I'm not trying to headlock you into playing my game :).

Shoggoth

• Email
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 05:49:04 PM »
PS: I'm not trying to headlock you into playing my game :).

How dare you promote your own work!  For the love of all that is holy, put on some false modesty!   :D

Tales of the Fisherman's Wife looks amazing.  I plan to get a copy of it, now that you've pointed it out to me.

Steal Away Jordan looks amazing, but I don't think I could play it.  I don't really suffer too much from White Guilt or racism/reverse racism, but roleplaying the degradation of slavery just seems too difficult to me.  At least MLWM has a fantasy element that allows a little bit of detachment.

Robert Bohl

• Misspent Youth
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 05:51:15 PM »
There is SOME fantasy in Steal Away Jordan, but again, not trying to do a pressure tactic. What I'd suggest if you're at all interested is listening to the episode. A lot of the fears I had about the game were assuaged by doing that interview.

Shoggoth

• Email
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2008, 11:15:18 PM »
There is SOME fantasy in Steal Away Jordan, but again, not trying to do a pressure tactic. What I'd suggest if you're at all interested is listening to the episode. A lot of the fears I had about the game were assuaged by doing that interview.

What podcast are you referencing?  Voice of the Revolution?  Something else?  I admit that I don't really know what other media outlets you're on.

Robert Bohl

• Misspent Youth
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2008, 11:19:17 PM »

What podcast are you referencing?  Voice of the Revolution?  Something else?  I admit that I don't really know what other media outlets you're on.

Duh! Guess I never posted this. Sorry. I did an interview with her on my podcast (The Independent Insurgency).